Hipshot Xtender GT1 chrome
Hipshot Xtender GT1 chrome
Audiofanzine FR Audiofanzine FR
Publié le 12/05/08 à 04:57
(Originally written by lemondedejef/translated from Audiofanzine FR)
I've been using it for one week.

Setup time: 20 minutes (but it was not my first HipShot).

Bought on ebay.

GT1 model with Grover machine head. GT2 model is exactly the same with a Schaller machine head. The choice depends on your taste!

I installed this Hipshot Xtender on a Fernandes Elite (Les Paul type) to switch to a Drop D tuning with one thumb move.

It's impossible to compare it because there is virtually no competitor on the market.

It doesn't change the look of the guitar too much (only an additional lever on the head). HipShot offers different models and colors so that the system matches the machine heads look.

The sound is great: the system stays in tune and you can switch very quickly to Drop D tuning. But the string has to be tuned twice (E and D). So it takes a while!

When I switch to D I play a "silent bend" to make sure that the E string has been tuned to D. I've had a couple of surprises because the string was first tuned to D sharp. This trick allows you to avoid ugly surprises.

I'm satisfied with my purchase because it extends my possibilities, especially live on stage!