Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby
  • Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews of 5/5 for the Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby

View price information
MGR/Alma Rockstar08/10/2004

MGR/Alma Rockstar's review"Dunlop Original Cry Baby"

Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby
I got the CB as a Xmas present. I Picked it out myself and it was $60 @ Guitar Center.

I bought it because i really wanted to add more color to my solos. I had a really bad experience with a cheap Morley whah and i was doubtfull about Whahs. I read somewhere that all my Guitar Heroes have used a Cry Baby at one time or another so that really made up my mind.

I absolutely adore and worship my Cry Baby. It is definately my secret weapon, and has saved my a** from trouble onstage when a hit a sour note a couple of times. The sound is great, i can get some really sweet sustained notes as well as some wailing screeches. Through my amp's clean channel the Cry Baby sounds incredible. But the real surprise is that when i crank the distortion, the Baby cuts clearly trough.

Altough the Baby sounds awsome clean and distorted solos sound even better, when playing it trough distorted chords the cry baby makes them a bit muddy. Also, it took me a bit to figure out where exactly i could set it in my pedal board. To get the most out of my whah i have it at the begining of my set up, followed by a phaser, tuner and then my distortion.

Excelent quality. I have dropped it a couple of times and it still sounds new. One time i did have a problem when the lubricant inside, i noticed some white goo on it and i tough i had maybe spilled hand lotion or something on it, but my friend explained it was lubricant to keep the pedal running smooth.. jejejejje.

Bottom line. The cry baby is a classis for a reason... IT rocks!! I have not tried out the "reissues" or new-and-improved versions of it because i am completely satisfied with it. The price is reasonable and the construction is excellent.

MGR/Steve04/05/2004

MGR/Steve's review"Dunlop GCB-95 Wah Pedal"

Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby
I got it from musiciansfriend for $69.99. I had a Vox V847 wah pedal and didn't like it and gave it to my friend for free, so I got what I knew was great and got the Dunlop GCB-95 wah pedal, that was a good move.

You can get a great wah sound out of this thing, it is my favorite wah pedal by far. It sounds great if you wanna play some Hendrix, which I play too much of. It is simple to use, push you toes down and it is turned on right away, push your toes down again and it is turned off. It has a great range. It is my favorite wah pedal, I like it better than my Morley and Vox wah. I am getting the Boss PW-10 V Wah very soon, see how that is, it sounds like a great new wah pedal, so I should be reviewing that soon.

There's nothin to complain about, you just better have an adapter so you don't have to get batteries all the time.

Built like, what everyone else says, a tank! It wouldn't break if you threw it off the roof of a house, if you are stupid enough to test that, make sure it is a one story house, it might get a little messed up if you throw it off a 2 story house, I don't know, so I will stop.

If you want the best wah pedal, get a dunlop wah, I know, I have been playing guitar for a looong time, I have tried a ton of wah pedals, the dunlop wah is my favorite!

MGR/Anonymous03/04/2004

MGR/Anonymous's review"Jim Dunlop GCB-95 Wah Pedal"

Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby
MusiciansFriend.com for $70. I had an older Vox V847 wah, I gave that away and then bought the dunlop wah. I needed a really good wah that worked good with my DS-1.

The Jim Dunlop GCB-95 wah pedal is one of the best wahs ever, the way you know it is that the best guitarists use the Dunlop wah pedal.

Nothing bad about it, except after a while the pot gets a little noisy, but that happens to every wah pedal.

Built to last.

The Jim Dunlop GCB-95 wah pedal is one of the best wahs to have. Try it and you'll buy it.

MGR/Curtis01/14/2004

MGR/Curtis's review"Dunlop Original Cry Baby"

I got this pedal at my local music store for about 160$ canadian

i bought this wah because i listen to metallica and love Kirk's wah

so i bought the cheaper version!

this thing rocks!
i love it, i love how it just screams out the notes, it give anyones guitar playing that extra little bit they need.

I wish that it had a bigger range
and the price was a bit steep but hey

Nice and sturdy, well built

this wah should be apart of every ones arsonal

MGR/Justin12/24/2003

MGR/Justin's review"Jim Dunlop Original Cry Baby"

Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby
I paid about 65 bucks on this pedal on ebay. It was my first pedal, and I got it because of its legacy (hendrix, clapton, etc.).

When I first got it, the pot was really scratchy, and almost unusable. This didn't suprise me too much, and after a while, I finally plopped down the 30 bucks and got a new pot, and whoa, this thing sounded beautiful. I use a 96 Japanese Strat, that I modified with vintage noiseless pickups, and new bridge. My amp is a Marshall Valvestate 100, and with this wah plugged into its effects loop, I was able to extract more out of the pedal. It literally plays like an extension of your body, its analog setup kicks the crap out of digital wahs. If you play it barefoot, it will respond to you merely flexing your foot. Infact, its so predictable and quick that I don't bother using a chorus pedal, as this sounds liquid enough for my tastes.
The Circuitry is also very easy to work with, its got a simple DC board, and, without having an AC adaptor, i was able to hard wire a randon one I had lying around with the correct voltage and polarity, in about 3 minutes.

Well, along with almost all pedals and juiceboxes, it is a little bit noisy. And the scratchy pot is so common with crybabys that it almost sounds wrong without it. If you are extremely picky about noise in your setup, this thing will annoy you. I'd suggest using a power conditioner and a Boss Noise Reduction pedal, if it bothers you that much.

This thing is built like a tank. I swear that it weighs more than my guitar. You could give this thing to Randy Johnson and have him throw it against a wall with all his strength, and it couldn't hurt it.

Its a classic. If you are the type who plays hard metal, or 80's butt rock, you may want a morley or something, or something with a much more exaggerated sweep. But with some skill, this thing is the perfect thing for that vintage analog sound (use it with a tube amp).

MGR/miguel g.12/01/2003

MGR/miguel g.'s review"Jim Dunlop Crybaby Model GCB-95"

Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby
I bought this pedal from an old man, he was very od also is the pedal I tried it out i liked it very much so i decided to buy it i payed 25.00 iguess he didnt want it any more but it worked perfectly fine.

I like how you can like fade the sound, i also like to play old song with it that gets very fun.

the think that i dont like is that after a while and a lot of playing it started to squeak but i easily fixed that by adding some spray for metal to stop squeaking.

I like the pedal because its metal and that makes it harder to break

This pedal is great and very fun you can do all sorts of wierd and cool sounds with it

MGR/Dave Scarbrough06/03/2003

MGR/Dave Scarbrough's review"Jim Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby Wah Wah Pedal"

Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby
Bought off of E Bay for $48.00. Want to work on some new sounds and techniques.

Very sturdy, consistent sound quality and easy to work with. Smooth transitions once you get to know how to use it and added with a chain of effects can really compliment "your" sound style. Of all my effects pedals this one and my Ibanez Echo/Delay are the two I can't do without. Worth every penny no matter how much you pay for it. Top quality and good design!

Plastic battery cover is my only complaint. It's built for heavy use as you can tell by the amount of older Dunlop pedals still out there so I'd like to see a higher quality batter cover. Other than that, it's perfect!

Super sturdy, heavy guage metal, very good non-slip quality rubber on the foot pedal and good "foot" bushings underneath.

Any player thiking about trying to expand there sound should definitely check one of these out. You'll be amazed at how much higher you playing style will get. With the variety of effects that are available today this one is by far the easiest to use and blend into your playing without making it difficult to blend in to your style of play.

MGR/Gannesh12/31/2002

MGR/Gannesh's review"Dunlop Original Cry Baby"

Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby
I bought this off ebay for about $60 used because I wanted a wah pedal. Why else?

Great tone from this unit and couldn't be any easier to use. I can get a great "whakka wah" and beautiful weeping wah, or turn it into a total funk machine! It works great for rock solos and such also. I can sound as close to those classic Hendrix, etc. songs as my guitar and amp let me. This is the real deal.

Well, come to think about it... there is nothing I don;t like... I love this thing!

This thing I'm sure could survive some abuse. Built well, just keep it oiled a bit so it won't squeek at all (it did that when I got it). The button the you press to switch it on and off wore down the pad that presses it down, so I just put a sticky rubber thing on it and now it works fine again.

This is the real origional wah right here. It gives you everything you need, and very affordably too. You know what wah wah is, and you want it, so get this pedal! Eveything you need to add a new dimension to your sound, find a new one, or just have some fun. Beautiful sounding pedal and easy to use. Highly recomended.

MGR/Andrew Rabloczky11/08/2002

MGR/Andrew Rabloczky's review"Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95"

Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby
I bought it brand new in Budapest, Hungary. It cost 36000Ft, that's $140.

I had a Dunlop Hendrix wah pedal before. I didnt liked that, due to that's narrow range of tone. (Cos' I play Metallica.)
Then I bought this Crybaby, and now I feel much better. It sounds really good, i can achieve those sounds that i wanted to.

The only thing I hate it's hard to switch. When I play sit, I have to push it with full weight. (and I'm 86 kgs!!!) I solved the problem by raising the switch button.

A pedal's general fault if that's made of any plastic. Crybaby is made of metal, never brakes. What else?

Dunlop is the warranty that it's a real deal anyway. Suonds clear, acceptable background noise, the lowest that a wah pedal can have. The best you can get.

MGR/Ian02/06/2002

MGR/Ian's review"Dunlop Crybaby GCB95 Wah Wah Pedal"

Dunlop GCB95 Cry Baby
I got this from a friend for $60 and it was in mint condition.

This is the original crybaby with the same vintage sound. It has thatunmatchable classic tone. It's also very sturdy. It's also very easy to change the batteries becasue all you have to do is turn a lock to the side and open. It's battery life lasts a long time.

I would have liked for it to have a bigger range of wah sound. There was only a little room to move the pedal up and down so you couldn't get a huge variety in wah sound, but it still has enough to keep you satisfied.

This unit can withstand lots of wear and tear and will hold-up to your gigs. It's made of very sturdy metal so it can take a beating.

This is a pedal that should be in everyone's rig. Classic sound and heavy-duty construction make this a winner.