• Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews of 5/5 for the Epiphone The Dot

Average Score:4.4( 4.4/5 based on 51 reviews )
 28 reviews55 %
 16 reviews31 %
 4 reviews8 %
 1 user review2 %
Audience: Beginners Value For Money : Excellent
View price information
MGR/Brendan Lorimer05/03/2004

MGR/Brendan Lorimer's review"Epiphone ES-335 Dot"

Epiphone The Dot
I bought this guitar from a music store in North Bay, Ontario and the price was originally $599.99 but I found it considerably cheaper at Steve's Music Store (that's the place to go!)at $439.99!!! So I price matched at the North Bay store and with taxes and everything it came to $516.00, which was exactly what I was willing to pay.And the reason I bought this is because guitars are my life and my passion.

Where do I begin? First,this guitar is absolutely beautiful, a sweet cherry red colour with curves like a woman. Also, it's f-holes give a great sound and look amazing too. It's humbuckers are very powerful and can go from crystal clear to dripping in distrortion with no problem. I heard that it would be to heavy but it was no problem , considering I'm as skinny as Jimmy Page.Also the action was very comfortable.

There's really nothing I didn't like other than that the screw on the jack kept un-screwing but I couldn't care less about that

The ES-335 is very solidly made with all details paid attention too, so other than that, all I can say is that the Korean's really know their guitars.

All in all, I was exceptionally pleased with ES-335 and this is a prime example of more for your money. I treat this thing like my best friend and I can't wait to wail on this guitar when I play this at a battle of the bands I'm playing next week!
Peace out and Jimmy Page is god!

MGR/BC Smith02/05/2004

MGR/BC Smith's review"Epiphone Dot"

Epiphone The Dot
I have not played in 20 years, the last guitar I bought was a NEW Gibon Sonex. I really wanted a 335 (as we all do) but that was a little out of the price range. My wife found my Dot for me for christmas, so I do not know how much she paid, but I do know it was a good bit less than the $399 you see on the internet.

It's a work of art, just like the real McCoy. Mine is Cherry and it looks great. It plays better than any guitar I have ever owned. I am re-learning to play jazz like I played in high school jazz band, blues and classic rock.

Well, besides how much I have forgot in 20 years or not playing, there is nothing I do not like about it. It's perfect.

If the Korean's built cars as well as the built my Dot, I would buy one of thoes too. It's perfect, or did I say that already?

Sure it's not a 335, so when I go pro (and the Cubs win a World Series) I will get a 335, but unitll then, The Dot is perfect.

MGR/naltimar12/26/2003

MGR/naltimar's review"Epiphone ES-335 DOT"

Epiphone The Dot
I was looking for a new axe and I was interested in trading in my beat up old acoustic for a nice new ride. I stumbled upon the DOT at a nearby music center and gave it a try. I compared it to like-priced Ibanez models and a few used no-names. This DOT jumped into my hands practically. I paid roughly $400 and I bought a case for $70 but I am returning it as I have found a better one for less.

First of all this badass is hot. Gleaming hardware and a gloss that rivals a new car.
I am primarily an acoustic player and was psyched to feel the ease of play on this thing. No issues with any of it, as far as I can tell.

One thing is that since I play acoustic with medium weight strings, I noticed that I have the tendency to bend the strings out of tune accidentally. I am sure I will get used to this.

Beautiful, solid and I like the weight. The headstock is lovely and the back curves gracefully like a woman.

Love it!~
Buy one!~
Word!~

MGR/Derek Mok11/11/2003

MGR/Derek Mok's review"Epiphone Dot"

Bought on eBay for $349.

An unusual, unlisted finish called "cherry burst", extremely appealing to the eye. A great mellow sound. I find it most useful for pop rhythm, clean chordal textures, and single-line riffs that mix in with the rhythm section rather than overbearing prominence. The contours feel great against the body.

The pickup selector switch is flimsy. The neck and fingerboard don't feel too inviting; a Gibson neck this isn't. Epiphone's intended case for this guitar is not great; it is light but doesn't seem to offer much protection.

Some excess paint around the f-holes, but that's about it. The finish is fantastic, the tuners and hardware are responsive, and the headstock is clean.

I love this guitar. It convinced me that an electric guitar can be below $500 and still give great quality.

MGR/Anonymous11/01/2003

MGR/Anonymous's review"Epiphone Dot"

Epiphone The Dot
I bought my Epiphone Dot at Long and McQuades. I bought it because of all of the good reviews ive heard and for how cheap it was was. After tax i paid $610 Canadian with case.

The guitar is great. Great sound, great feel. The paint job it flawless. I love the way it fits on your thigh just right when your sitting down.

The only two things i didn't like about the Dot was it's weight (which isn't unbearable, just not great) and the pick guard which I took off.

Construction is very solid. Nothing is loose.

Great all around guitar. Good bang for your buck. You won't find anything this good for the amount your paying. Buy it.

MGR/John Doe09/06/2003

MGR/John Doe's review"Epiphone ES-335 DOT"

Epiphone The Dot
I got it at Sam Ash and I got 60 bucks off the sale price, so it was about 350.

This guitar is amazing. I put a good set of strings on it and it sounded like a dream. The playability is great, and the body looks awesome. I also like how balanced the body is.

It is pretty heavy, and the original strings aren't very good.

The contruction is great. Even if you lok into the f-holes you can see how precise it is. And the grain in the top is beautiful.

BUY THIS GUITAR, or if you have the money get the real Gibson 335, but this is almost as good for a lower price.

MGR/Thomas05/28/2003

MGR/Thomas's review"Epiphone Dot"

Epiphone The Dot
I'm a new player and I purchased this guitar in March of this year (2003).I bought it at "Sam Ash" in Huntington NY.Price was $399. plus $75. for the case.

I am really enjoying this guitar. It has the Cherry finish and it looks great, in fact everyone who sees it comments on how nice it looks. The action is low and it sounds nice thru the small Marshall amp I'm using.
The first thing that I noticed when I handled this guitar (after how nice it looked), was the feel of the neck. It felt very smooth and comfortable in my hand. The frets are nicely dressed, which was something I found lacking in many other guitars I tried in this price range.

I played a Gibson ES 335 in the store and it was not all that different than my Epiphone.The Gibson cost $2299. The "Dot" was $399.
I'm not saying they are exactly the same guitar, but it's really surprising how close they are.
I am extremely pleased with the "Dot"

The only thing I would change on this guitar is the shape of the headstock. It would look better with a bit removed off the very top.

The quality of construction seems quite good.The Cherry finish is just terrific. The tuners are Grovers and the guitar stays perfectly in tune.
After I had the store set the intonation and I lowered the action, it plays as well as any of the guitars I've tried (most costing A LOT more.

This guitar is a keeper. It was just what I was looking for.
Of course, there are finer instruments, but for this kind of money, good luck finding them.
If the Gibson ES335 was $200 more, yea, I'd buy it, BUT it is almost 6 times as much. There is a HUGE difference in price, but not in quality.

MGR/C.V.04/30/2003

MGR/C.V.'s review"Epiphone ES-335 Dot"

Epiphone The Dot
First off,I started playing about 6 yrs.ago and had to have every guitar that came down the road.I wised up after much wasted time and money and have come to the conclusion that with my 52 tele and Epi-335 if i can't make or play music with these its time for gardening or knitting.I did a Ebay purchase of the 335 and feel i got a good deal.The price w/shipping was 430.00. Besides a gibson 335 can no way sound 2000.00 better.

The overall size and the weight is not bad, then it's not strapped around my neck for 4-5 sets a night.The neck is real nice for this price range,most guitar necks are usually quite out of whack when they arrive.The combination of hollowbody and solidbody is the best of both worlds.

Well here we go. The nut is very cheap and should be replaced.The tuners will do unless your gigging alot.The pickups should go for the real 57 gibson's,classic 57 in the neck,classic 57+ in the neck.The 3way switch change asap. and quite possibly the endpin jack.

The 335 is built very solid. All joints and bindings are real clean and straight. The finish is a little thin at the F holes,must be from the buffing at the factory.

The epiphone ES-335 Dot is the best value semi-hollowbody on the market today.Even with the total gibson upgrades you would have yourself 3000.00 dollar gibson 335 for about 900.00 bucks. That my music brothers is the deal of a lifetime.

MGR/DAN ENGLAND12/03/2002

MGR/DAN ENGLAND's review"Epiphone DOT"

Epiphone The Dot
I PURCHASED THE GUITAR FROM ROXY MUSIC SHOP IN LAPORTE INDIANA 4 YEARS AGO. I WANTED A GIBSON ES335, BUT THE PRICE WAS STAGGERING COMPARED TO THE EPI. I TRIED ONE OUT AT THE STORE AND WAS IMPRESSED WITH THE WAY IT FELT AND SOUNDED.

I LIKE EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS GUITAR. BUT MOSTLY, I LIKE THE TONE IT HAS. ONLY AN F-HOLE SEMI HOLLOW BODY CAN SOUND THIS GOOD. IT IS A BIG GUITAR WITH A BIG SOUND. IT CUTS THROUGH THE OTHER INSTRUMENTS IN THE BAND BETTER THAN MY TWICE AS EXPENSIVE GIBSON LES PAUL. THE BRIDGE PICKUP GROWLS AND MAKES THE GREATEST LEAD TONES OF ANY GUITAR I HAVE EVER PLAYED. AND THE NECK PICKUP IS SMOOTH AND CREAMY LIKE A MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE JAZZ GUITAR. AND MAY I ALSO MENTION THAT THE FIT AND FINISH IS EXCELLENT. MINE IS CHERRY RED WITH BEIGE PICKGUARD. SHE'S SWEET.

IF I HAD TO FIND SOMETHING WRONG WITH THIS GUITAR, I GUESS THE ONLY FLAW WOULD BE ITS WEIGHT. AFTER DOING A 4 HOUR GIG, MY BACK IS JUST A BIT BENT. BUT HE AINT HEAVY, HE'S MY EPI.

I KNOW THAT A LOT OF FOLKS ARE GOING TO SAY THAT IT'S A PIECE MADE IN KOREA, BUT LET ME TELL YOU, IF YOU CAN FIND ONE FLAW ON THE FINISH , OR FIND ONE PROBLEM WITH THE GUITAR THAT'S BEEN BEAT ON AT WEEKEND GIGS FOR THE PAST 4 YEARS YOU'RE A BETTER MAN THAN I GUNGHA DIHN. IT'S FLAWLESS. THE MOST BEAUTIFUL PART OF THE GUITAR IS THE PERFECT FINISH AND GREAT BINDING JOB.

IF YOU WERE GOING TO BUY A NEW GUITAR, AND YOU WANTED SOMETHING THAT SOUNDED GOOD AND LOOKED GREAT, BUT DIDN'T COST AN ARM AND A LEG, I'D HAVE TO SAY THE EPIPHONE DOT IS THE BEST BUY ON THE MARKET TODAY.

MGR/Dennis02/17/2002

MGR/Dennis's review"Epiphone Dot"

Epiphone The Dot
I couldn't justify the expense of the Gibson 335. I play for fun, so the Dot fit the bill. I searched online first, but the local Ash Music store matched the best online price I saw which was $349. That was three years ago... never had a regret.

Ever notice who plays the Gibson thin hollowbodies? Everyone. Doesn't matter if it's jazz, rock, pop, country or blues. The guitar is that versatile. The Dot is not the Gibson, but at it's price, it's minimal shortcomings are forgotten. Actually, I have even seen the Dot played in recent rock videos as well.

I like everything about the guitar. Are there better pick-ups available? Sure; replace them if you need the small difference in quality. Tone? That's easy. Go to heavier strings (D'Addario is my choice) and the guitar will respond in kind. Action is not comparable with 335, but then neither is the price.

I chose the cherry red finish which appears in everyway to be perfect. Tuners give me smooth performance without slippage. Spray the toggle once in a while for optimum operation. Don't leave it tuned 365 and I suggest you will not have any neck problems.

Value:5 Quality:5 Action:4 Range:5 Tone:5
I have had the opportunity to play a range of electics and had my Dot played by some friends that make their living at pickin'. For the money, there is no better clone on the market and for those of us unable to justify the cost of the 335 there are few (if any) compromises with this guitar, no matter what you play. Happy pickin'