Create an account

or

Thread [Getting started] How to Prepare a Mixing Session

• 6 replies
  • 6 participants
  • 6 followers
1 [Getting started] How to Prepare a Mixing Session
How to Prepare a Mixing Session
The art of mixing requires technical competency as well as a good dose of creativity. However, often times such characteristics don't get along well inside our brain...

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
I do all that already. What I'd LOVE to see is an article describing, simply, what you do FROM that point, the best way to use EQ, Compression etc. I know there's a ton of articles on those things on the Web but that Is the problem. There's too many articles and they all contradict eachother - (Use EQ on all instruments - NO! Never use EQ on classical instruments - Use Compression on everything, New York style - NO! Never use Compression on these kinds of sounds.... I can find articles saying virtually anything I wantto. Which is why all my mixes sound awful.

Please, any chance of going on from this article to a 'Basics of Mixing Anything' type article, so I can see roughly what to do when in the process? I do agree that all mixes are different but there's gotta be a sequence of events that's fairly standard, and a series of procedures that's fairly common to everything. I just flat don't know what they are/what to do when!

Yours hopefully

Chris
Hi Chris !

Well, this is a tough one because nothing is wrong as long as it works for you...

But you're right, there is a "standard" way which can be useful as a starting point for beginners. It will certainly take a couple of articles to go through this. We will get there at some point so keep on following our "Getting started" section ;)

Best Regards,

Nantho
This short article is, like, EXACTLY what I've been looking for! I'm still a bit of a novice when it comes to mixing, but in general I'm not a very organized person and this helps me know exactly what to do to spend more time learning to mix than organizing everything and getting lost within my mix. Thanks!
Quote:
I'm not a very organized person and this helps me know exactly what to do to spend more time learning to mix than organizing everything and getting lost within my mix. Thanks!

You're very welcome! We're glad it was useful for you. Stay tuned for more in the series.
Mmmm to bad i hate the "sesame street" coloring.
I like to use different shades of one color but i think that is personal.
My man likes to setup tracks in frequency order.
He puts bass on then left and slowly moves to the right if it gets higher.( like a piano)
It is a strange way but works for him :)

Template your favorite layout and settings to start from is also a very good idea.it saves a lot of time.

I had to search the article because the link is not correct. If the question mark is deleted from the link it works :-D

Vey helpfull article for beginners..

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

Quote from angelie:
I had to search the article because the link is not correct. If the question mark is deleted from the link it works :-D

Vey helpfull article for beginners..

Glad you liked it angelie. And good catch on the URL redirect! We'll get the link properly working in no time

*Edit: Link should now be properly working. Thanks again.*

[ Post last edited on 10/27/2014 at 03:57:40 ]