I just bought one to improve my Pacifica 112J, whose standard pickups leave a lot to be desired.
I initially though about an EMG 81, but on a guitar like mine it's a bit of a waste, especially for $100. And then I discovered the SEHG, which is the least expensive humbucker I found. I got it new for $30.
And I must say it does its job fine, it's much more precise than the original one on my Yamaha and with less noise.
I'm very satisfied with its price, and it's just what my guitar needed.
I give it 8 for its very good value for money.
I've been using this pickup, which isn't expensive for a humbucker, for 6 months. I installed it on a home-made electric guitar, so it's hard to make any comparisons with commercial models.
That said, I installed it on the bridge and I'm very pleased.
- It comes with a short but adequate manual.
- You can use it as a single-coil or humbucker. The difference between both sounds isn't that big but as single-coil it is cleaner and less distorted, while still having enough output power.
- I had no issues adjusting the height of the pickup.
- It produces almost no noise.
Bottom line, it's a very good pickup, very versatile and not expensive, without being top-level.
Before installing this pickup I had a lag power magnet and, to be true, I didn't notice too much difference to the Select. I'm very disappointed with this pickup.
But you have to be crazy to expect an 81 for this price!
It lacks punch and harmonics don't sound at all, but it does have a bright side: The crunch and clean sound is all right!
Did you find this review helpful?yesno
nebs's review (This content has been automatically translated from French)
- Achet 70 euros fdp included, which is not chre for EMG, I do not regret my purchase. The sound is open, singing and cutting time. In clean is great for blues especially since the microphone is splittable single donation we get go from a one of a gibson perhaps telecaster.Manque some grain over a fender texas but not buys a dual EMG for crystal clear sound!
- This mic is rather made for saturs sounds (simple Overd the nuclear distortion).
- With a lightweight overdrive are obtained very lilting distos with long notes genre Carlos Santana but still very accurate (far more than the design duncan Mount of origin).
- Saturated mode we get a sound super sharp, tough and full of harmonics but with a powerful ct or otherwise very dark playing with the tone knob. The microphone responds beautifully to blow floyd at tapping etc ... much better than Duncan.
Mode splitt of very sound gives the fuzzy Hendrix.
Compared emg hz one, the select more potato and seems much better for bluezy sounds, ideal for fast and prcis solos.
No comparison with the original design duncan (my guitar is exploring jackson).
- Truly unbeatable quality report. I would like to try it on a Les Paul, must be a killer!