• My former gear
  • My current gear
  • My wishlist
E-MU 0404
Images
1/90
E-MU 0404

Internal PCI/ISA Sound Card from E-MU

Thread EMU 0404 Soundcard with Cubase SX - 20ms Latency!

• 4 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 EMU 0404 Soundcard with Cubase SX - 20ms Latency!
Hi all,

I know you've seen this problem a hundred times, but I've tried just about everything recommended and I can't reduce the latency on my sound card. Ok, here's the deal:

1. I bought a pro sound card - the EMU 0404 in the hope that the latency would be reduced.
2. When running the ASIO control panel from within Cubase, if I select anything less than 20ms, I get pops and crackles in my playback!
3. My PC has 1280MB RAM and a 2.8 Celeron Processor.

I thought I had enough here to minimize latency, but still it's no good!
I have also installed onto a clean Windows XP, SP2 OS with minimal services running, etc. but can't get it down.

Surely I should be able to get a latency less than 20ms??
If anyone could offer any advice on what to try next, I would be genuinely grateful!!

Many thanks in advance!
Have you updated the drivers and patchmix to 1.81 and 1.82, respectively? You might want to check on Emu optimization tips here.
Thank you so much for your reply! There is some excellent info here.
I will give these things a try.

Yes, my patchmix and drivers and been updated to the latest versions!

I'll let you know how I get on!!

Thanks again!!
You might also want to visit an unofficial Emu help site. Check my sig.
Well, I think the problem is sorted - XP is now well optimized and running like a dream.
I then got the latency down to 10ms with the occassional crackle.
It turned out that the effect I was using on one of the guitar (audio) tracks was using 45% CPU!

That, combined with the low latency load on the CPU was causing it to top out and the audio would crackle!
I have removed the effect (for now) and can now drop the latency to 5ms. Hurray!!

Thanks for your help and cheers for the link!
I shall be frequenting this forum I think...!!

Thanks again,

Nathan.