Enlarge
Internal Sound Boards
Internal PCI/ISA Sound Cards

Thread Terratec Phase 22 problem..

• 13 replies
  • 9 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Terratec Phase 22 problem..
Ok, my setup (http://www.studioathome.com/ftopict-1477.html) is pretty much ready (still missing the Cakewalk, might change to Cubase), and I've been testing it with Krystal Audio (Nice Freeware!).

And now, first problems. :D

Terratec's card doesn't allow simultaneous output of the wave (aka. what's playing in my machine) and the analogue inputs. This pretty much sucks. Is there any way around it?

The digital (Coaxial) output would allow it, but I have no idea where I should plug it in, as a n00b I am. :oops:

What I checked, most cards in the same price range have the same Coaxial S/PDIF etc. I/O's so this probably is something I've should have checked earlier... as none of my other gear has Coaxial inputs.

So, should I get a new PCI-card, Mixer or something else? Help, please!

:D
@angor
very nice post. really helpful for someone who is new to pc's etc. I already know most of the things you said. :cool:

"The problem with the difference in the sample rates is unsolvable for me"
I think i just solved that one. I used the button "sample rate locked". So when i play a guitar pro file, AND an mp3 both can be heard simultaneously and correctly.

Good luck with your exam my friend..
i have the same problem.
my output sound plays mono, only one speaker. recording too.

i got that Phase 22 card yesterday and i've tryed everything but no results of having stereo sound.

did you ever solved your problem and how?? :(
I guess you are not the only one with this problem. And man this topic is old. Anyway I have the same problem, and i have tried everuthing. The solution seems to be a mixer. Or at least it looked that way until a friend of mine bought the same card. The problem is that his card was installed in the service centre where he bought the card. He doesnot has that problem. But the tech guy from the service doesn't like to tell me the secret, like he is hiding the book of doom or something.

Please if there is anyone who knows how to fix this problem tell me.

Hail
Jet another problem. God I hate Phase 22. A friend of mine has the next problem: You can try to connect any instrument in the inputs an you will get nothing, Nadia, no SOUND NO HUM NO NOTHING. If the inputs are blown up there will logicaly be hum LOTS AND LOTS OF HUM. HELP before i break the hell out of her.
hi
from the sound blaster audigy 2 i moved to this sound card, and i m having big problems. First, when i first installed it, windows xp got corrupted, so i had to re-install it, and secondly i had to try to move the soundcard into a different pci-slot in the mobo. Phase 22 also used to play sounds in mono. I fixed that by buying a 2 RCA - 2x6.3mm cable and then i connected the two analog outputs to rca input of my hifi. the cable looks like that:

But i still got problems when i try to play sounds switching in different sample rates eg. 44 khz to 22 khz, the sound card seems to go nuts and plays sounds very slowly.. Its really annoying also that the card doesnt have a midi interface to play midi files...
Anyway, I hope that i helped somehow.. If anyone has solved any of his problem, it would be helpful to post a message here.
Ok man here it is. Some of the solutions i will represent are discovered the hard way.

1. The problem with hearing only the L od R output can be solved only by connecting them both. The card has a seperate audio streaming for the L and R chanel and a splitter or a 2in1 box will do the trick. Also if you have a stereo sustem at home you can do the thig you did. Aparently the card was meant to be connected with studio monitors, preferably active ones or a mixer and be controled from there. No other solution in mind.

2. For the lousy playback problem we have to go tehnical. Firs thing is to understand the IRQ. What this stands is for Interupt Request. Motherboards are built in a way that every slot weather PCI, AGP, USB interface, Firewire and so on... share same information conections, usualy in pairs sometimes in tripelets depending on the manufacturer. What this means plain and simple means that for example on my mother board the AGP slot and PCI slot number 3 share the same IRQ. Audio cards don't like to share an IRQ, althoy all the manifacturers claim that they produce IRQ-prove cards. If i put my 22 in PCI 3, the CPU will have to decide weather to let the video data in the video card or the audio data in the audio card. As simple as that. So imagine you try to play a movie or a video clip of ypur favorite band. The CPU will devide the audio and the video from the file and send them to the cards for processing ONE AT A TIME (a portion of the audio this second and a portion from the video the next). This is no good if you like high quality audio.
SOLUTION: Place your Phase 22 card in a slot that shares an IRQ with a free slot. For example PCI 2 and PCI 5 share the same IRQ, but you have no card conected to either of them, so you connect the 22 on PCI 2 or PCI 5. This is a general rule and specification differ from Motherboard to Motherboard. Consult your motherboard manual to see which slots share IRQ. This should solve the plays sounds slowly and places *clicks* and *flicks* to the sound. It did for me. It also solved another subtile problem. When i open Cubase and another program like Guitar pro, the playback dropped a half step. A song recorded in the key of E dropped to F#. I am sure you have come across the same problem. Follow the advice above and you should have no problem.

3. The problem with the difference in the sample rates is unsolvable for me. It has something to do with the internal or external digital clocks of the 22. I will solve this problem eventualy, but i am a little bizy right now, i have exams to pass. The good thing is that i study the same thing, electronics and signal processing (macedonian equivalent to sound engeneering only harder).

I hope that the above posts have solved some of your problems. If i have missed something, post. If i have said something out of the context please correct me. I am only a man you know.

Be true to the music.
HAIL
i have a pc with two terratec phase 22 cards
the problem is that during playback some times it starts playing in low speed
like a broken record or something
i see that many more have this same problem
if anyone can help it would be apreciated

i tried saple rate lock
it keeps it working for much more time but eventually does the same

any ideas?

%1$s a écrit i have a pc with two terratec phase 22 cards
the problem is that during playback some times it starts playing in low speed
like a broken record or something
i see that many more have this same problem
if anyone can help it would be apreciated

i tried saple rate lock
it keeps it working for much more time but eventually does the same

any ideas?

I can't tell many things, because i do not own 2 phase 22 cards. But i ll tell what i did to resolve the problems i used to have (blue screens, corrupted sound). I simply uninstalled the Terratec Control Panel. Now everything works out fine, except that i cannot adjust the latency when using ASIO driver on certain music applivations (eg. guitar rig, sonar). I hope this will help. good luck
Hi
Problem No 1: My problem with phase 22 is that it can not work as a primary sound card. I have + on board card, and only it can be my primary sound card. What should I do , to make phase 22 myprimary sounc card ???
Problem No 2: When I install the drivers for phase 22, i can not turn off , or restart my PC ??? If i uninstal the drivers, then I can turn off, or restart my PC. If someone knows the solution of these problems, pls tell me.
Thanks!!!