Images
1/138
M-Audio Delta Audiophile 24/96

Thread Audiophile 2496 surround capabilities

• 2 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Audiophile 2496 surround capabilities
Having purchased and happily used a M-audio audiophile for over a year now I am keen to explore the "5.1 surround" option that the product description raves about. At the moment I'm sending the analogue stereo outputs to a pair of Alesis active monitors, but I'm at a loss as to how I can set up true 5.1 surround with the bass management feature for the sub (I'm thinking of getting 3 more monitors and an Alesis sub).

Can anyone help me out? Do I need to get another sound card?

Bubba the Aussie :D
I'm not quite sure with the actual facts that I'm spitting down here, because I haven't seen the actual soundcard that you have. Normally, though soundcards like M-audio Firewire Audiophile-card have only a couple of analog outs. That pretty much makes the only way of getting 5.1 surround sound out by buying a digital surround decoder, like a surround hi-fi amplifier, connecting it digitally to the sound card (for example with an optical cable). Then connecting the extra monitors and subwoofer you were thinking of getting to the amplifier.
The only down side here is that professional studio guys usually say that studio monitors and the actual master outs should have nothing in between. This is because everything you have ín between these always colors the sound in some way. Thus it would have to decided here what is the function of 5.1 surround sound in your setup? If your just going to watch DVD's and would like to experience surround sound I don't think having a amplifier to decode the 5.1 signal does much harm. If your going to record surround mixes for making movies or such some might say you would need to buy another sound card with multiple audio outs for all the 5+1 channels needed.
It is hard to say an exact answer for which is the right option as there are always more hi-fi ways of thinking about setups and more resonable, budget thinking.
Thanks for the reply mate.

I think a new sound card is in order and also bankruptcy... :cry: