Eko Ranger 6

All user reviews for the Eko Ranger 6

Audience: Anyone Value For Money : Excellent
  • A supremely underrated acoustic guitar

Eko Ranger 6Published on 09/08/21 at 04:47
    Features — 8
    Bought used from a friend. My copy was a vintage model probably from the early 1970s or 80s, included was a tortoiseshell hard case. For its age (about 40 years!) it was in remarkably good condition with no scratches or dings. It was strung with almost new D'Addario Extra Light Gauge strings (.010 - .047) and with a spare set of strings that were originally on the guitar - used but 'as new'. These guitars were and remain extremely popular for their build quality and robustness. This is not the newer model which is classified as 'Vintage Reissue.' Both have bolt-on necks.

Sound — 10
    Features — 8

Sound — 10
    Suited my playing style just great. I was aiming for a 1970s Fleetwood Mac / Lindsay Buckingham sound and absolutely achieved this with the EKO guitar. The low purchase price and sheer resonance really blew me away. It's extremely versatile and can suit a variety of tones, it's very warm. In some ways, the Ranger 6 is reminiscent of Jimmy Page’s 1969 VOX D30 acoustic, used on “Ramble On”. You get clear yet soft sounding notes with lovely harmonics. It boggles my mind why more musicians do not use this model.

Action, Fit & Finish — 8
    The guitar was not set up by the previous owner. I needed to adjust the action, as well as changing the strings. Finish was unremarkable but good, there are no complaints. The hardware is ok and holds well. Overall the feel was fine for the price point, for a budget guitar I never expected much anyway. But it feels solid and put-together enough for you to play and record. It's a no-nonsense acoustic guitar and really shines when you hear it. It's very solid, you can literally stand on it and it won't break.

Reliability & Durability — 10
    I have used this as a main live guitar, as well as rehearsals and home practice. Couldn't spot major differences with much more expensive acoustics. The bolt-on neck really gives it a different vibe. Durability is great. It's dependable and looks very cool, with all that 70s charm. I had fun using it and it never let me down. It lasted me around 3-4 years before I eventually sold it to buy other gear. It's a great feeling and sounding guitar, I would easily recommend it to anyone looking for an alternative to more expensive acoustics.

Overall Impression — 9
    The EKO Ranger 6 is a supremely underrated guitar. Affordable, well-made and great-looking, it’s reminiscent of Jimmy Page’s 1969 VOX D30 acoustic, used on “Ramble On”. There is an EKO 12-string version of it out there. The instrument sports a bolt-on neck and thick body, which makes the guitar a little on the heavy side for an acoustic but also gives it that signature sound. You can’t really go wrong with this guitar, good for gigging and recording. In terms of sound, you will lots of 60s and 70s folk-rock vibes similar to Lindsay Buckingham’s or Jimmy Page’s. It isn’t the loudest instrument, so if you’re gigging you will want to look at installing a pickup or using a PA system.