Write a user review or Ask for a user review
8/10

Thread Comments about the review: Little Bad Boy

• 4 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 3 followers
1 Comments about the review: Little Bad Boy
Little Bad Boy
The Ploytec Pi L Squared Leukos (PL2 Leukos) is a hardware synthesizer module that fits in the palm of your hand, and can plug into your computer and respond to your DAW. Its analog pulse wave oscillators and analog and digital filters can create some pretty impressive synth textures. All parameters are edited via MIDI control change messages or using the comprehensive free software editor. And best of all the PL2 Leukos sells for a street price of $99.

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
I don't know squat about synths, but there are some pretty funky sounds coming out of that last audio sample. Makes me wanna learn more about synths...

given your experience with synths, would you say the PL2 Leukos is well worth the price? Easy to use for someone who knows nothing about synths?
Quote:
would you say the PL2 Leukos is well worth the price? Easy to use for someone who knows nothing about synths?

For sure, it's worth the price. You get a lot of synth for $99. Used with the editor software, I think it would be appropriate for someone without a lot of synth experience. (Bear in mind that the PL 2 Leukos has to be used with a computer). The editor makes it very easy to change the various parameters, and doing so would teach you a lot about how synths work. That said, if you already have a DAW, it probably has one or more soft synths included, and you could also use one of those to get started in the synth world. BTW, if you haven't already, check out our ongoing series on synthesis (here's a link to Part 1: https://en.audiofanzine.com/sound-design/editorial/articles/sound-synthesis-explained-part-1.html). Good luck.

[ Post last edited on 02/17/2015 at 10:40:29 ]

First thing that came into my mind when listening to the drum sounds was: zombie nation.

I think there will be a lot of possibilities for this. The limmitations should not be an isue you can use effects of other outboard equipment.

Some how this brings me back to the commodore 64 audio chip the SID which they used to build the SIDstation.
I spent alot of time with the SIDStation.

I also think the raw 8bit sound can ne used alot in the modern electrical music or as a backing line in other songs.

So yeah i think to buy one even it is only for educational purposes.

Thank you for this post....

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

[ Post last edited on 02/27/2015 at 00:22:47 ]

Hi Angelie--Glad you liked the review. The PL2 Leukos is definitely one of the cooler products I've had the opportunity to use lately. Just the idea that it's a hardware synth definitely adds to its appeal, for me, anyway. Don't get me wrong, I love software synths, but I haven't used a hardware one in years. The idea that all of that sound comes out of that tiny box is pretty impressive.