Yamaha FG-160
Yamaha FG-160

Other Acoustic Guitar from Yamaha belonging to the FG series.

MGR/Anonymous MGR/Anonymous

« Yamaha FG-160 »

Published on 07/14/01 at 15:00
In 1972 I borrowed $225 to purchase this guitar (with hard case) new at a local music store in Marietta, GA. Before I walked in the store I didn't even know Yamaha made guitars. I couldn't afford a Martin (Back then EVERYONE wanted a Martin). I figured I would trade-up later on when I could afford a nicer guitar. Joel, the owner of the store took down this FG-160 and said, 'Try this one..nice guitar for the buck.'

I discovered that this guitar is very responsive to the paricular types of strings. With light guage it has almost a classical quality - great for jazz rifs. With a medium or studio guage the bass comes out very rich - especially for country or Spanish. I recently tried an electric pick-up on it (removable type) and without an equalizer it has great clarity
plugged in.

It's difficult to come up with a dislike about this guitar. It came with only one strap button...I've never put a second one on it.

Since I've kept the guitar cased all its life (when not in use) the finish has maintained extremely well. The finish has developed a rich patina, slightly darker than the original. I've never used anything but a soft cloth on it. It's a very well built guitar. It has never warped. Everything on it is still original, even the tuning gears.

At first, my motives for keeping this guitar were mostly sentimental - after all, it was my 'first' and has given me years of pleasure. But I have come to appreciate its quality and craftsmanship even more. It's not the most expensive or elaborate guitar I've played, but it will always be my favorite.