• Increase or decrease font size
  • RSS

All user reviews of 5/5 for the Line 6 POD 2

Irv Kurzbard02/26/2017

Irv Kurzbard's review"Great for gigs"

Line 6 POD 2
I have used my pod since 2007 for many gigs. We are a blues, classic rock band. I found the pod much easier and reliable to lug around with a medium solid state amp. No maintenance, utterly reliable and great sounds. Primarily set on a clean bassman or tweed, clean with very little distortion and reverb. The amp is set neutral and merely amplifies the pod. I am old school and was used to tube amps and pedals, but this setup is so much simpler, compact, tough and sounds fab. I have critically listened and played tube amps versus my rig. I agree that a tube amp is better. However, the pod is quite a good alternative and once setup to your liking can emulate with some of the best. Fellow musicians praise it. So do audience members. Used for about $100 coupled with a good solid state amp like a Peavey or Roland=watch out!
heads on fire10/31/2011

heads on fire's review"It's a staple unit."

Features
Rotary Speaker
Delay/Swell
Delay
Reverb

I think nearly everyone has owned or played with one of these. If you haven't, you've certainly HEARD one - listen to anything produced in the last 11+ years, and there is usually something from this unit on there, from a simple overdub to a smattering of all guitar and bass sounds of a full album. I've actually done both approaches - I've made a couple of full-length albums that used only tones from this box, no miked sounds, and have gotten lots of positive feedback regarding those sounds. I tend to mic up guitar amps more nowadays, but this baby back in the day made great tones acheivable on the cheap and easy. It's a ubiquitous box that makes life simpler for a recording engineer.

The sounds are good. I'm rating it a 7 because the technology for amp modelling has improved vastly since these came out. But I know I could still jam out on a recording with one of these units and be satisfied with the results. The Treadplate sound is one of the best metal rhythm sounds around, and the delays are really cool on here as well. It's fun to use as a practice headphone amp! No matter what one thinks of amp models, I don't think anyone could plug into this and not find some kind of usable tone.

It's a collection of good, usable amp and effects tones, for not much money. And it is a lifesaver on a recording session - especially if a "signature tone" type amp goes down, this box can be plugged in to save the day. With some EQ and compression, the tones can be nearly indistinguishable from the originals in many cases. If one still turns one's nose up at the thought of using the little red bean pod for a record, it still makes a great headphone amp. And it's fun to mess around for reamping, like with crushed drums or distorted vocals!
Audiofanzine FR12/16/2010

Audiofanzine FR's review"Waouhh!"

Line 6 POD 2
Originally written by laulalau on Audiofanzine FR.

Everything has been said already!

Everything has been said already!
In my opinion, it's rather easy to use.

Now, let's talk seriously ^^.

I already knew Line6 simulations before buying the Pod because I used (and I still use) a Toneport UX1 that I like a lot.
I also knew Vox simulations (I owned several amps from the Valvetronix range). I always preferred the Line 6 sound (although some users say it's cold and digital, but it's all a matter of settings).

Enough quality effects.

I use only four amp simulations: BRIT CLASSIC (Vox AC30), BRIT HI GAIN (Marshall JCM 800), TREADPLATE (Mesa Boogie Rectifier) and MODERN HI GAIN (Soldano).
I find these four simulations are AMAZING!!!
Other simulations are not so good but it's no big deal because I need only these four simulations. They allow me to play anything I want.

I use the Pod with an Epiphone Les paul Slash Signature, a Fender Telecaster John 5 and a Telecaster Baja.
The Pod faithfully reproduces the sound personality of each guitar (but not as good as a real amp).

When I bought it, I used to play with a pair of headphones because I didn't like the sound with my amp (Blackstar HT5). The tubes colored the sound and the result was really awful.
But with headphones, the sound was wonderful... So I sold my amp and bought a power amp conceived for what I do (Tech 21 Power Engine 60).
It allows me to get the best out of the Pod (this amp is linear and faithfully reproduces the simulations without coloring the sound).

With this amp, I can enjoy the sound quality of the Pod: the sound is just amazing!

I've been using it for about one month... I never had such a sound at home and I know that my sound never was as good as it is now.

I like the Pod 2.0 because it's easy to use, intuitive and provides almost endless sound possibilities.
In my opinion, the Pod offers enough simulations and possibilities. That's the reason why I prefer it to the Pod XT or X3.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again! Especially considering that it's always cheaper ;)
MGR/Mario09/19/2004

MGR/Mario's review"Line 6 Pod 2.0"

Guitar Center FL. Friend highly recommended. Paid 249.99

Versatility, and true tone qualities. Endless possibilities.

None

Rugged Aluminum body. No small parts to lose.

Affordable and simple way to change your sound on stage and off.

MGR/Derek Mok02/03/2004

MGR/Derek Mok's review"Line 6 Pod 2.0"

Line 6 POD 2
Bought at Guitar Center on Sunset Blvd. in Los Angeles for around $220. Manny's across the street sold it for around $40 more, if I remember correctly. Unbelievable.

No musician and producer I've met who owns this piece of gear has disliked it, and I'm no exception. Now, there's a certain quality about miking a real amp that no amount of processing can achieve with plugging a guitar direct, but the Pod will add many more dimensions to that direct sound.

There is a vast array of presets and they do sound good, but I tend to switch them off in favour of the manual mode, which allows "What you see is what you get" operation. In that respect, I was able to get Stratocaster-esque tones out of a Gibson SG, a searing blues-rock wail akin to my favourite standby, the Zoom A1 setting, McGuinn-inflected electric 12-string sounds out of an Ovation 12-string's piezo pickup, a horn section emulation from an Ibanez R-series superstrat...the list goes on. This is definitely the most versatile piece of guitar effect I own, and when you count any effects stompboxes you can connect into the chain, the possibilities are unlimited.

This unit also fulfills the primary reason I'd bought it in the first place -- to record loud, aggressive guitar parts without rousing the neighbours.

I actually tried both the Pod 2.0 and the Pod XT at Manny's in Hollywood and I liked the older version, the 2.0, better. The XT gives you more controls and presets, but is also much bigger, more expensive (around $100 more), and harder to use intuitively.

Sometimes my P-90-equipped SG actually generates *more* noise with this Pod than with my old Marshall amp. I can't figure out why since there's no sound speaker on the Pod. Some of the amp model settings are drastically quieter (I'd say too quiet) compared to the others, even with Channel Volume, Drive and Output up near 10. Though this may not be inaccurate to the qualities of the original amps modeled (and was probably an intentional design decision), I'm not a big fan of the discrepancy. The tuner setting seems erratic -- it's dead accurate with my Epiphone Dot, but my Gibson SG was definitely more out of tune than before after I'd used this tuner on it. I had to tune it by ear to improve it. Bizarre! This is also one massive piece of gear, not even including the transformer you have to use with it.

The chassis is good, though the knobs could be a little sturdier. They seem designed for ease of turning rather than longetivity.

I do like this piece of gear and get great results from it, so its shortcomings are easily overlooked. It's been a defining piece of studio equipment since its inception.

MGR/Gregg Moore10/29/2003

MGR/Gregg Moore's review"Line 6 POD V2"

Line 6 POD 2
Got it from MusiciansFriend for $249. I have been doing home recording for several years. Experimented with lineOut from amp, lineOut from processor, mic-ing cabinet (which was the best at the time, but too many variables and too much head room needed)...listened to samples of the POD...
I was sold.

The best recording device for the guitar. The effects are great, but the amp modeling is the bomb! I am exclusively recording all guitar parts with the POD. I would have gone with the PODxt, but finances were and issue, and I really like the basic features and settings of the V2-the xt has too many features for me right now, but is still a great unit in itself.

That I didn't invest stock in the company years ago. What's not to like?

Durable, dependable, compact, easy to learn, easy to use, plug and play...what more can I say?

I'd buy another and another and...all my recording friends/musicians are getting POD's now after hearing my recordings. Thanks Line6 for greatest unit ever...I even bought a Bass POD too!!!!

MGR/I love it10/10/2002

MGR/I love it's review"Line 6 Pod 2.0"

Purchased this unit at Mars Music in St. louis, Mo. for approx. $250.00

The question is what do I like about the unit?

My question is, what don't I like about the unit. Good golly miss molly this thing rocks. I've been using Mesa Quap preamps for a major portion of my gig sound. I love Mesa Boogie and the Quad. But I picked up this red bean and decided to see if it were as good as the Mesa on the Rectifier setting. I was blown away. If this isn't as close as you'll get to a Boogie sound, I really don't know what would be. I really don't think I'll find anyone who disagree's.

Did I get rid of my Quad? Hell no. Now just so I make sure I get the awsome sound my picking deserves, I simply run the Quad Preamp into the POD and out through the JBL/Mackie PA. It's nothing short of impressive. I don't even have a speaker cab anymore. Dun need it thank you. The speaker cab sim is super. I mean real good.

Go get the bean.

Nothing.

This unit is built well. I haven't dropped the bean yet, but hey, I think it would take it.

Just try it. I would have never tried this thing after my terrible experience purchasing the rackmount 2101 Artist. That was a cross tube/solid state box and flunked big time. I spend over a grand on that junk when I bought it. I had it 3 months and out the door it went. Huge loss.

The bean is about $250.00 and well.... It sounds like no other box of it's type I've ever tried. It's really nice.

MGR/Steve Quarcini05/03/2002

MGR/Steve Quarcini's review"Line 6 POD 2.0"

Line 6 POD 2
I bought it at a Guitar Center store, for $299. I bought it there only after my other 2 favorite stores were sold out of it. I got it because I had tried my friends, and I already had a Line 6 AX212. I was not happy with the clean sounds of the amp so I got the POD and sold my 2x12. I love the POD. I can practice anytime as loud as I want with the headphones, and the sounds are really really awesome.

I like the versatility and the features. It has speaker simulators, so you can record directly into anything, even your computer. I really like the amp model called "tube preamp" for my clean sounds, it is really shimmering and clear and would be excellent for a piezo-equipped guitar. As far as dirty sounds go, I mean what can you say except wow. There's plenty to choose from and they can be manipulated any way you can think of. I like the ease of operation, with knobs you actually turn, not buttons. I like the aliminum body, it makes it tough. I like that I can take it out and gig with it with my floorboard. It sounds great through computer speakers. It is everything that I ever wanted in an amp. It is the only amp I have and that's because I sold the others because they couldn't come close to this. It rules.

I wish there were a bass boost somewhere on there other than the bass knob that's already there.

Outer shell is made of anodized aluminum, it's tough. I would be willing to bet it could take a bunch of mishaps and still come out ok.

To those doubters, go try it. Remember, once you get it home, there's a TON more things you can do with the manual in your hand. It is light and easy to take. You can literally take the POD and floorboard, and your guitar to a gig, plug into the P.A., and start jamming. It sounds that good. No additional effects needed, everything is in there already. It's cheap and would make a great practice and recording tool, or can even be recommended to someone just starting out, especially when you look at the cost of effects pedals these days.

MGR/Dolan03/23/2002

MGR/Dolan's review"Line 6 POD 2.0"

Line 6 POD 2
Bought this at guitar center for $280.
Wasn't sure about buying it so the cashier
gave me 20 bucks off, and reminded me of the 30 day return policy, so I agreed to buy it. Good choice on my part.

Even though the POD has been out for awhile now, it's still the best amp modeler for the price. I use mostly the high gain amp models as I am in a noise/metal type band. Distortion any good processor can do, but the cabinet simulators bring in so many more options. Plus, this thing is far cheaper than any amplifier and can be used as a preamp or as a direct in to your mixer or computer or anything, really. AND it's stereo!

The buttons and knobs are too small, forcing one to want a foot pedal for it when using it with an amp. But, the only ones that work are made specially for Line 6 things only and cost as much or more than the POD itself. Secondly, the EQ is gastly, and I never use it. Get a separate EQ.
But when used as a direct-in for recording, there's nothing wrong with it at all.

Seems sturdy enough. It's basically a small computer, so I keep it away from water and heat, ofcourse. Like anything of value, I wouldn't want to drop it or anything, but I've had some fairly heavy things fall on it and it came through unscathed.

Very good investment. True, it's not exactly like having the all mighty tube amp.
I get paid pretty well for a 19 year-old, 24,000 a year, but mostly that money is for rent and food. I make my purchases wisely, and a wise purchase this was. Good for almost any style of music, I highly recommend Line 6's POD 2.0

ODdOnLifeItself02/22/2002

ODdOnLifeItself's review"Line 6 POD 2"

Line 6 POD 2
I bought this unit at The Guitar Center. I actually don't like the crowded, cram everything somewhere, nature of the store... but they had the best price, so I endured. The other thing is... you can't really hear the unit perfectly (even with cans on) because all the other people who were auditioning things had their volume knobs stuck on 11. (The POD was $299)

Best feature of the POD 2.0, THE TONE! Line 6 really did their homework. The tones are great...very faithful to the originals, but most importantly, the sound is so good that it is totally inspiring. I have to set the alarm clock when I go practice, or else I won't sleep at all. I also like that the unit is laid out like an amp...with KNOBS...and not with an elaborate menu system.

The only thing that I didn't like about the unit is that the second layer of 16 amp sounds are not listed on the unit. They are EASILY accessed, but it would be nice to just see them listed, since they're all shift-accessed.

The construction appears to be very sturdy. The casing is metal and is a very attractive unit. They were smart to put rubber feet on the unit, because the unit is NOT a stompbox and since you have to use your hands to operate/configure it (unless you have the floorboard), you are likely to have it sitting somewhere at a height you can reach it while you're playing guitar.

I have ALWAYS wanted something with this kind of versatility and with the killer tones of this unit. The fact that it's available for only $300 makes it a Godsend. If you are a guitar player who feels they don't have enough good sounds from their system, you should definitely buy this item!