Create an account

or

Thread [Getting started] Recording electric guitar - Direct recording

• 2 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 2 followers
1 [Getting started] Recording electric guitar - Direct recording
Recording electric guitar - Direct recording
Today we will discuss direct recording an electric guitar.

Read the article

This thread was created automatically after the publishing of an article. Feel free to post your comments here!
I've been recording my guitar from my guitar into my EVH 5150 III head then into a Rivera Rock Crusher to reduce the heat of the signal into my Yamaha MG12XU mixing board into my computer.

I sent a friend of mine, who does music production, for a living my latest song. He says "The guitar tones have a little too much bite and sound a little demo-ish. A common occurrence if you record guitars direct and into a computer. Try taking off a little 4k or there abouts with an equalizer. Pull it down maybe -3db. Maybe more, maybe less, adjust to taste. You could also try boosting a little 1K or maybe 1.5k to add a little warm mids. Try it and see if it helps. I think that will help the guitar sound a bit more pro."

I haven't had the chance to try it yet, so I can't comment on it. Anyone else have experience with having to tweak their direct recording of guitar tracks in such a way?
Recording directly in combination with a mic or two can also interesting results.

#1 You could split the tracks use a low pass filter on the direct signal and a highpass filter and combine them to one stem/signal. Or the other way around

#2 just mix both together to create your own special sound.

#3 use different types of effects on both signals... For some crunchy sound or even demonic :-D

#4 gives you more freedom to experiment with your track

- Angelie

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...