or
Create an account

or

Thread The Phantom has disappeared, help me

• 3 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 0 follower
1 The Phantom has disappeared, help me
I own an Alto S-16 Mixing Console which includes 8 pre amped mic channels including 48V Phantom Power.
Until yesterday i had no reason to use the phantom power or test it in any way (although maybe i should have, im sure ive flicked the switch before).
I just bought myself a RODE NT1A and a matched pair of RODE NT5's all of which require phantom power.
I plug them into the XLR port on the desired channel switch on the phantom power and i get nothing.
I'm quite sure this is a mixer problem as the phantom power LED does not even light up.

-Does anyone have any suggestions on what i might check/try/do to resolve this problem?

-Would you recomend/not recomend opening it up to have a look? (i have reasonable understanding of electronics but id rather not if i dont have to.)
Just to add some info, theres nothing wrong with the mics because i tested them on my M-Box and they work fine, BETTER THEN FINE. but yeh...
Bring out the multimeter and test for voltage (48 VDC) between pins 2/3 and pin 1 on the mixer. Test each channel; sometimes a single channel or group of channels could be affected - easily solvable by getting some mic pre's with phantom power. If all channels have no phantom power, then the supply circuit is toast. Either have the mixer repaired or get a new mixer (or a bunch of mic pres).
thanks for the advice i was gonna try out your suggestion but then i ended up at the music shop today and they happily exchanged it for a new one. Hooray, brand new mixer and the phantom power works.
RODE mics kick ass by the way.