Create an account

or

Thread Advice for a mixdown checklist

• 13 replies
  • 10 participants
  • 10 followers
1 Advice for a mixdown checklist
Howdy,

I want to make an infographic or basic list of things to do once you believe your track is done. Something to stick somewhere to help double-check things like:

have you monitored in mono? is your mix too narrow or wide? are all elements EQd and in their own space? etc

any idea of what things you would add?
Show first post
Quote:
Let a friend or colleague press the bypass buttons of eq and compressors but don't let him/her tell when. Close your eyes and listen to determine which is best. ( you guess if it is the bypassed version or not)

I hadn't heard that one before, that's a cool idea!
Your welcome :)

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

Quote from angelie:
A bit late but i just signup for this:

-Don't take your mix fot granted.

-Leave it alone for a week so you can listen again. Sit back after some nights of good sleep.

-Listen on different locations and setups: portable radio, car, livingroom of a friend etc.

- Let a friend or colleague press the bypass buttons of eq and compressors but don't let him/her tell when. Close your eyes and listen to determine which is best. ( you guess if it is the bypassed version or not)

-Louder sounds always better... Use the gain to level things out so you can listen to the changes at the same levels.

- Let others listen too ( listening session's) let them write down what they think. Read and review that with them. Remember to keep open minded. Nobody likes there mixes to be trashed by others. But somethimes they got a point you missed.

great tips and awesome thread. I would also add listen with reverb with 0% dry (for EDM. the extra reverb helps emulate how the music sounds in a club). Also, there are mixed feelings about this but I always try and do all my mixes in Mono then pan afterwards. Helps pick out outliers and get an overall balanced mix imo
Quote:
Also, there are mixed feelings about this but I always try and do all my mixes in Mono then pan afterwards. Helps pick out outliers and get an overall balanced mix imo

An interesting approach, and if it works for you, great. Because stereo placement is such an important tool for finding space for each element in a mix, doing a mono mix first would probably cause me to make decisions regarding volume and EQ that I wouldn't have made if I panned the tracks early in the process. Obviously, it's important to check a mix in mono to make sure you're not having phase issues, but I prefer to wait to do that until I've gotten a rough balance together, with tracks panned.