or
Create an account

or

Thread Recommended books on mixing

• 8 replies
  • 9 participants
  • 9 followers
1 Recommended books on mixing
I'm a bit old-school and still like reading a book in addition to youtube videos and internet articles. Just looking for recommendations on good books on mixing, particularly mixing hardcore/metal, thanks
I would suggest reading "Mixing Audio: Concepts, Practices and Tools" by Roey Izhaki. It's a bit expensive (you could find it for around $40-$70 on Amazon) but well worth it given the depth of coverage
You're kidding yourself if you think you'll learn mixing from a book. Particularly when there are so many real-time video examples and tutorials out there...
Quote from arsenal80:
You're kidding yourself if you think you'll learn mixing from a book.

Maybe so. But you can learn mixing by trying to mix, and using the book for helpful tips and pointers along the way. The book I would recommend above all others is Mixing Secrets of the Small Studio by Mike Senior
Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio - Mike Senior

Dj samples ready to download

Quote:
But you can learn mixing by trying to mix, and using the book for helpful tips and pointers along the way.

I think that's a good approach. You definitely have to do a lot of mixing to get better, but having a book around for reference and ideas is always very helpful. Bobby Owsinski's Mix Engineer's Handbook is a good one: http://www.bobbyowsinski.com/mixing-engineers-handbook.html
Quote from LucidSamples:
Mixing Secrets for the Small Studio - Mike Senior

+1

Great, in-depth book, but above all, it provides examples on every channel along with a free soundbank of ready-to-mix, professionally recorded tracks. I found this particularly helpful, as it ensured that I wasn't wasting time trying to 'fix' poorly recorded tracks, and that every decision I made was purely mix-based
I too love the realtime videos.
I have seen one with a long hairy person.
He told the story in such a good way with illustration and animations....and silly jokes.

Perhaps you should check them out.
I believe it was a one hour movie.
( oh it is two hours and 40 minutes)

He talked about :

Mixing
Balance
Depth
Space
How to place sound without pan but with eq
And much much much more.

Ok perhaps the movie is a bit 1980 but hey
after that you still can read a nice book.

Search Youtube for :
The art of mixing ( a arte da mixagem)
David Gibson

Enjoy

- Angelie

Note: old.. But it helped some of my friend alot...

It's not about what you got to use ....    but how you use what you got...

[ Post last edited on 04/17/2015 at 23:58:47 ]

I'd like to second the poster who recommended Bobby Owsinski's Mixing book. I've got all 3 of his books: recording, mixing and mastering handbooks, and they're all excellent.

The other book I remember using when I was at college was "Modern Recording Techniques" by David Miles Huber. That's a great book to get your head around all areas of engineering.

All the best!

Nick
One Flight Up Recording Studios Sydney