Peavey Ultra Plus Head

All user reviews for the Peavey Ultra Plus Head

Tube Guitar Amp Head from Peavey belonging to the Ultra series

( 4.3/5 based on 12 reviews )
6 reviews
5 reviews
  • Audiofanzine FRAudiofanzine FR

Peavey Ultra Plus HeadPublished on 03/14/09 at 16:13
    (Originally written by Nevercold/translated from Audiofanzine FR)
    Everything has been already said about this product! I agree that the footswitch is a bit annoying (when you want to switch to an ultra distortion you get a clean sound instead because you have long feet.

Easy configuration:

- Treble, mid and bass controls on the clean channel!

- Bottom, body an edge controls for crunch and ultra!

Just turn the knobs and you'll find your sound!

The most important paragraph:

(Originally written by Nevercold/translated from Audiofanzine FR)

Easy configuration:

- Treble, mid and bass controls on the clean channel!

- Bottom, body an edge controls for crunch and ultra!

Just turn the knobs and you'll find your sound!

The most important paragraph:

Clean: In the beginning I found the clean sound rather dull, almost as if it were damped by a pillow. But I've found a good treble/middle/bass and bright setting. I get a nice clean sound good enough for heavy metal, which is the main purpose of this head.

- Crunch: very nice sound. I personally don't play ACDC or Silver Dirt but if it were the case I'd use this channel. If you max the drive and use adequate settings, you'll even get a powerful and accurate death metal, thrash metal and hardcore sound (compared with the imprecise response of a mesa). I use this channel for rhythm parts with distortion and it's good enough to play some Through the Eyes of the Dead, Chimaira or August Burns Red (if you previously engaged the boost switch ;-).

- Ultra: It's worthy of its name! It provides a warm and punchy sound with powerful lows! The boost function adds a bit of punch to the sound but it's not necessary unless you want to have feedbacks! I use this channel only for solos. It can give you strong attacks (especially if you use the neck pickup of your guitar) and much more precision than a Mesa amp! This sound has too much lows to be used for rhythm parts.

- I've been using it for eight months.

- I upgraded the power tubes three months ago. I still use the original preamp tubes. I installed Groove 6L6 power tubes. And you can clearly hear the difference!

- Pros: sound precision and color. It's a Peavey so either you'll like it or not at all! I play a Jackson JS30 KV. If you want to play deathcore, thrash or black metal stuff with a precise sound and good palm mutes it's the perfect amp head for you!

- Cons: Very heavy (don't take it out of your rehearsal room)!

I tested a Dual Rectifier, several Marshalls, a Peavey Valveking, an Engl Fireball 60... The Dual rectifier produces too much noise and Marshall amps have not enough gain! The Engl could compete with Peavey because it has the same properties (accuracy, attacks, warmth, etc.) but provides a higher distortion and a more present sound.

I bought it secondhand and I think it was a good deal! Especially after replacing the tubes.

I would buy it again!
  • Audiofanzine FRAudiofanzine FR

Peavey Ultra Plus HeadPublished on 11/07/08 at 02:46
    (Originally written by nihilsbajo/translated from Audiofanzine FR)

120-watt tube amp with 6l6 and 4 preamp valves. Integrated reverb, ridiculously small footswitch, effect loop, 2 inputs (high/low), switch to halve the output power, 3-position switch to adjust the lows to the room. You won't miss anything.
    The transformers seem to be good (they are really big). It doesn't look fragile. It's made in the USA. Anyway it seems to be really sturdy. I heard Peavey had a faulty series and did a recall but not all customers had sent in their warranty cards so problems arose after a while.

(Originally written by nihilsbajo/translated from Audiofanzine FR)

It's very easy to setup the amp: the clean channel is set in a few seconds (EQ placed before the preamp in the signal path) and the lead channels have separate gain and volume controls (one for crunch sound and one for hi-gain distortion). You have the usual treble, mid and bass EQs and a very effective master control! The user's manual is short but concise.

Clean channel: Quite simple. The EQ lets you boost some frequencies before the signal goes into the preamp but you cannot shape the sound. This means that you'll have to use your guitar's pickup selector—which isn't necessary a bad thing since you'll get your instrument's real sound!
    Crunch channel: my favorite. Rather old-school with a real Marshall character. I don't know if they drew their inspiration from the JCM800 but it sounds suspiciously similar, with a tighter and more pleasant character though! The gain can be huge and you actually have an integrated level boost to play all music styles! The mid frequency range is very present but you can really craft the sound. Personally I set it almost to the max. You can play anything from Alice in Chains to Darkthrone.
    Hi Gain channel: Shares the same EQ as the crunch channel and also has a gain-boost switch which is virtually wasted because the gain level is already too hot. This channel sounds very different compared to the crunch channel because the emphasized frequencies aren't the same. The sound is definitely modern with powerful lows and less presence. It's perfect for solos I guess (I loathe them), or for a big death-metal sound. The sound is very american without being grotesque.

Not an ultra versatile sound but a good solution for things like rock, black metal, thrash, death and so on... It's the sound I was looking for!

I haven't actually used for such a long time. But if I ever change my mind I'll edit my review. Anyway it's perfect with my 2x12" cabinet (V30)!
    The biggest turnoff is the footswitch. I think I will try to fit it in a homemade case...
    I already tested several amps: small solid-state amps, Randall RG50T (which I sold to get this amp), Peavey 5150 combo (I didn't like it), Engl Powerball and Mesa Rectifier. It's the best at what it does! Of course a Mesa would have been good but I got intoxicated by its outrageously fat sound. I guess if I get a Rectifier simulation pedal it'll do.
    Till now I've been totally satisfied with my choice! I bought it by chance after I sold my Randall and I had second thoughts about other amp heads like Laboga Alligator, Hiwatt Hi Gain, Marshall JVM and Vintage Modern; I'm really happy.