KV331 Audio updates SynthMaster to v2.8
KV331 Audio has updated their software synthesizers SynthMaster & SynthMaster Player to version 2.8, including major enhancements and bug fixes.
KV331 Audio has updated their VST/AU/AAX software synthesizer SynthMaster and its player version SynthMaster Player to version 2.8. This update brings major improvements for the filters, modulation matrix workflow, layer effects layout, envelopes, LFOs and the arpeggiator/sequencer.
New features include:
- 4 new zero delay feedback filter categories: Ladder, Diode Ladder, Bite and State Variable filters are all based on "zero delay feedback" (ZDF) topology. All the new filter categories also feature an Acid button. When turned on, this couples the resonance to the cutoff frequency so that resonance decreases with decreasing cutoff frequency.
- Analog ADSR envelope type: This new envelope type is said to be modeled after a well known analog synth's envelopes. The attack/decay durations are between 1 ms - 9 seconds.
- Dual LFO type: In this new LFO type, a variable LFO shape can be created by crossfading two user selectable waveforms. Basically, it's similar to a wavetable oscillator. There's also bitcrush and sample&hold available in this mode.
- Drag'n'drop modulation assignment: Modulation matrix entries can now be created by dragging a modulation source displayed on the new modulation sources tab and dragging it onto any knob on the user interface.
- Smart modulation matrix filtering: When the user clicks on any knob, the modulation matrix is filtered to show only entries for that target. Similarly, when the user clicks on any modulation source on the new modulation sources tab, only targets for that source are displayed and modulation amounts for targets are drawn as rings around the knobs.
- Layer effects on a single tab: Prior to v2.8, layer effects were scattered in 3 different tabs; in this new version, they are displayed on a single tab in the order they are inserted. The ordering of the insert effects can be easily changed by dragging and dropping insert effects. The user interfaces for LoFi, Phaser, Chorus and Compressor effects are also enhanced so they now provide displays to give visual feedback about the effect parameters.
- Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression (MPE) support: SynthMaster now supports multichannel MIDI input. New generation keyboard like the ROLI Seaboard generate MIDI messages in different MIDI channels for each key pressed, allowing each key to have separate modwheel, pitch bend, etc. values. To support ROLI further, KV331 Audio also added a new global parameter called "Map CC74 to CC1" so that the CC74 messages generated by ROLI Seaboard can be translated to CC1 to take advantage of existing presets using CC1 modulation.
- Automated parameter smoothing: Automated parameters are now smoothened to prevent zipper noise that happens during parameter automation. The length of the smoothing filter is controlled by a new global parameter called “Parameter Update”
- Engine settings for Offline Bounce: SynthMaster now supports separate engine render settings for offline bounce mode. This way, users can use draft quality / large buffer sizes during mixing, and higher qualities/lower buffer sizes during offline bounce to disk.
- New Drum Kit: KV331 Audio's first factory drum kit, recorded at Mars Recording Studios by Mehmet Uğur Memiş and Atalay Ant is available in this update. The drum kit features percussion instruments with multiple velocity regions. KV331 Audio's product manager Gerçek Dorman (who also happens to be a multi percussionist) created 50 drum patterns/presets as factory presets in this update.
- Drum Kit mode for the Arpeggiator: A new arpeggiator mode called Drum Kit has been added to the arpeggiator. In this mode, drum patterns can be easily written for a selected drum kit. Drum kit definitions can be created in plain text files, with percussion instruments mapped to specific MIDI notes. Each drum kit can have up to 16 percussion instruments defined.
- Recording sequences directly from MIDI: It is now possible to record mono or poly (chord) sequences into the arpeggiator in Sequence mode. If the layer polyphony is set to mono, the sequencer records only one note at a time and detected tied notes.
- New Factory Presets: KV331 Audio added 150 new factory presets in this update. Sound designer Arksun has contributed to SynthMaster factory library with 50 presets.
- Standalone Format: SynthMaster and SynthMaster Player are now available as standalone applications on Windows 7 and above. The standalone applications support ASIO and recording output of the synth to a wave file.
As for bug fixes, address the following issues that were present in previous versions:
- Renaming presets crash SynthMaster.
- Deleting presets crash SynthMaster.
- Loading preset metadata from xml file might crash SynthMaster.
- SynthMaster incorrectly categorizes waveforms with '.' in their names as multi samples.
- FavouritePresets.txt file might crash SynthMaster.
- Waveform cache files are not saved correctly causing silenced waveforms.
- Reading invalid wave files crash SynthMaster.
- MIDI Velocity modulation doesn’t work for Voice LFOs.
- When envelopes are synced to tempo, their timings are incorrect when engine quality is greater than 'draft'
- Distortion curves display invalid values.
For registered users, version 2.8 is a free update and can be downloaded at KV331 Audio's user downloads page.
Demo and free player version of SynthMaster 2.8 are also available for download at KV331 Audio's downloads page.
Viewers of this article also read...
- MeldaProduction's four new weekly offers MeldaProduction continues its Eternal Madness Discount with 50% off MRhythmizer, MMultiBandConvolution, MMultiBandComb and MMultiBandFlanger plugins.
- Soundtoys 5.0.2: an important notice for Mac users SoundToys has issued a warning regarding reported issues with version 5.0.2 of their plugins for Ableton Live & Studio One users on Mac systems.
- Spitfire to change Sacconi distribution policy Spitfire Audio has announced that starting June 9th, their Sacconi Strings libraries will no longer be available on their own.