or
Create an account

or

Thread November 14, 2015 editorial: comments

• 15 replies
  • 11 participants
  • 11 followers
1 November 14, 2015 editorial: comments

I had an editorial about gear all written for this week, but after what happened in Paris last night, it doesn’t feel right to talk about music technology today. I apologize for letting bad news intrude on a space where you don’t usually expect to find it, but when I think about those poor people at the concert hall and the restaurants who were mercilessly gunned down, I can’t get too worked up about the latest compressor or EQ.

For me, the story also has a more personal connection, because Audiofanzine’s parent company is based in Paris, so I have lots of friends and colleagues there. What’s more, I was in Paris just a week ago, attending Audiofanzine 15th Anniversary party. Luckily, everyone I know there is ok.

I’ll get back to gear and software next week. 

Show first post
I applaud your decision. The events in Paris leave all right-thinking people stunned and disgusted. My heart goes out to those who were cut down and the people who survived but who will bear terrible psychological scars for the rest of their lives. However, we should also remember our bothers and sisters (I am white by the way, nominally Christian) who are blown to bits on a daily basis in the Middle East and Africa etc. These events become footnotes in the media, while when it happens to us (whites of European extraction) everything goes into overdrive. Until we get to grips and solve the root causes of this madness, human(un)kind is doomed to an endless cycle of violence, hatred and misunderstanding. Regardless of race, creed or colour, we are all brothers and sisters on this earth. While we rightly mourn Paris, please take some time to think about those in Baghdad and other locations who were mercilessly snuffed out this week. I wish you all peace and love.
Home of acoustic guitar
There sure are times when a discussion about music has to take second place. Thanks for reminding us of the more important things; people and how they intersect our lives.
For Mike Levine / AudioFanzine >
It's hard to be constructive in this tragic world but activity can be therapeutic.
The Events in Paris have totally eclipsed the recent sad losses to the Blues world. The recent passing of
Allen Toussaint for one.
Perhaps all young people as Music Lovers might take an interest in the creation of the Allen Toussaint School for up and coming R&B Artistes, people like new kid on the block Fleur East.
And the School should have an International Flavour so people who are talented from all nationalities are included.
A similar model could also be created for Arabic and Classical Music with great masters teaching young hopefuls Great music. For example Golriz Hashimi teaching piano and also an extension of the London based
Googoosh Academy for young Asian singers. Googoosh creates great music which, in the case of Talagh you can enjoy even if you don't quite understand Iranian language !!
Evil must be counteracted by good and these activities will serve to help all young people who have musical talents,from all over the world.
Courtesy,
Thomas Hartley,
At Chester ( UK ),
( nawotny88@gmail.com ).
PS > It is not possible to replace the irreplaceable, but it is possible to encourage young people to take an interest in music as an outlet for their frustrations and their sorrow.
Lest We Forget >
Allen Toussaint ( RIP ),
Johnny Winter ( RIP ),
B.B.King ( RIP ),
Lulu Dikana ( RIP ),
and many others, >
Courtesy,
Thomas Hartley.
Quote:
Regardless of race, creed or colour, we are all brothers and sisters on this earth. While we rightly mourn Paris, please take some time to think about those in Baghdad and other locations who were mercilessly snuffed out this week. I wish you all peace and love.

Good point. Without question, an innocent life lost is a tragedy, wherever it happens.
Quote:
Lest We Forget >
Allen Toussaint ( RIP ),
Johnny Winter ( RIP ),
B.B.King ( RIP ),
Lulu Dikana ( RIP ),
and many others, .

It has not been a good year in the blues world, for sure. Lots of great ones have passed away.
Thanks for your kind words, Mike. Fortunately the team here in Paris is OK.

Cheers