Create an account

or

Thread August 27, 2011 editorial: comments

• 0 comment
  • 1 participant
  • 0 follower
1 August 27, 2011 editorial: comments

Dear Fellow Audiofanziners!

http://cdn.androidcommunity.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/steve-jobs-appe.pngThis week we woke up to the tragic news that Apple CEO and co-founder Steve Jobs has stepped down from his role, citing health problems.  While his battle with pancreatic cancer is well known, if he is stepping down now, it must be not such a good sign.  As really, considering Jobs' management style and personality, he is not a man to jump ship easily, especially not this Apple ship.

I am not a big fan of Apple.  Like almost everyone I have an iPod, but that's where I stopped.  While under Jobs, Apple has risen to cult status with beautifully designed machines and gadgets to seduce any pocket, I still dislike the idea of 'closed systems'.  One only needs to read Jobs's bio or see Pirates of the Silicon Valley to understand that Jobs' stepping down is like the Dali Lama quitting. It goes against his nature, unless he really had no choice.  Say what you will about Jobs, still he has managed to bring back Apple from the verge of bankruptcy and to his credit he has among others the iPod, iPhone and iPad.

So now what?  Is Apple without Jobs steerable?  Will Tim Cook have the same passion, leadership, and stubbornness on the cutthroat style to continue Jobs' legacy?  Will Apple become just another big corporation with its golden age behind it?  Only time will tell.  I hope for us and for Jobs that he will still manage to be a significant part of Apple even in his reduced capacity.

Us here at Audiofanzine, and completely by accident have launched our iPod/iPhone/iPad product categories this week.  So check them out on our Apple product page with lots of user reviews.

Editorially, we've been on light side this month due to people's vacations - hey, yes, this too shall pass!  So apologies, but still check out The Top 10 Effects Pedal Targets.

Have a good weekend!

Chater-La