Create an account

or

Thread February 18, 2012 editorial: comments

• 4 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 February 18, 2012 editorial: comments

sad foxDear Fellow Audiofanziners!

So another wintery week has passed, full of tragic and shocking news.  I am not sure what is more tragic, Whitney Houston's death or Sony's tactless 60% price hike of Houston's music on iTunes 30 minutes after her death was announced.  Well, OK the singer's death is clearly the more tragic.

Another slow and tragic death some might say is the Death of Firefox as an internet browser.  As much as I championed the coming of Firefox, the open source, the statsinnovation, the 'stick-it-to-IE-95%-market-share' attitude, and quickly adopted it, I too have since moved on to the greener, faster, pastures of Google's Chrome.  What can I say, I don't care for a bloated machine.  I need fast, simple wheels.

In the browser battles, it is a ruthless arena, and the spectators hold little patience.  From it's commanding market share high of 30%, Firefox has been loosing ground steadily every month for the last two years, and is now at around 20%.  I am not sure what can save the little fox.  Will stripping down its browser, help speed things up and bring me back?  Maybe.  I will first need to completely uninstall it with all the add-ons attached that since I cannot find how to uninstall them... but that's a different annoying story.  Beware of add-ons!

Chater-La

Who cares about the market share of Firefox?
Show us some charts about the growing revolutions all over the world. This could be much more stimulating for our creativity than this depressing lead.

Pair of Focal SM9 for Sale

Laurent Sevestre
MaximalSound.com
Online Algorithmique Mastering

Technical Stuff

[ Post last edited on 02/17/2012 at 18:22:58 ]

While I agree with your points about Chrome's lean and speedy approach, I respectfully disagree with your choice for different reasons. Google has displayed nothing but contempt for the concept of personal privacy, believing themselves above the law, and entitled to store and use any personal information about their users' they can steal, in whatever ways they can steal it. In contrast, Mozilla works hard to enhance users' privacy and security. I'll stick with FIrefox.

Larry

Bluzgtr

Death of this Death of this....
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
You better check your sources carefully before spreading such BS.
Thank you for your comments. Exact numbers can vary, and like in research, one can prove anything they want. But the trend is the same. Chrome on the rise and FF and IE losing shares.

As for privacy issues and the internet. wow. that's a loaded gun. Maybe I'll write about that for next week...