Ashdown Klystron 500 Head user reviews
If you are not satisfied by the reviews below, feel free to request a user review for this product
- I want to say there were less than 100 or 200 of these things made. I believe John Entwistle from The Who collaborated with Ashdown to design this preamp befor he died. My band picked one of these up a few years ago by trading some gear. I wish that Ashdown would bring back a reissue of this pre with the ABM 1000. We had this combo pared with an 8x12 Ampeg cab. The bass tone we got with this preamp was so full and filling in the room, and recording with it was a pleasure. The thing had an FET circuit that gave such a warmth to the tone that GK or Ampeg could never even match.
- We had to play around with it a little bit to find the sweet spot. This was our first Ashdown product so the unfamiliarity factor was apparent. I think it took us some trial and error but eventually we found a good tone for the guitar and cab we were using. Since then we have changed things around but I remember most of the dials were set around noonish. The preamp was constructed to stay around the mid point and dial in the EQ with just very little shifting of the knobs. I used more of the Valve drive knob and the Sub harmonic to really tailor the tone. These two features are fantastic! Being able to dial in a little grind to bass while adding sub octave chorus to the tone was amazing. To this day I haven't played a better bass head or preamp that could match up to this tone. John was a tone purist...just look at his ugly bass guitar condor bird he built for himself. He said it looked ugly but had a tone no other guitar could match and this preamp follows that same approach to music. Although this unit was nice to look at.
We didn't get a manual since we got it on the used market but Ashdown does have a manual available on their website if you get the pleasure of finding one of these pre's.
- The tone was remarkable! Just pure bliss, which makes listening to the bass a little pleasurable. I usually ran the Valve and Sub around 2:00 and I enjoyed having these two knobs follow each other since they blended so well. The compression we used sparingly since I found that it doesn't allow the bass to bloom as much but gave a little more bottom end. So this knob was just barely engaged.
We used this with a Rickenbacker 4003 and a ABM1000 power amp. We had some trouble with the power amp but luckily we had a spare. We had a solid rock/metal bass tone that fit in with just about any band situation...other than jazz fusion.
Since they only built a hand full of these things not many people are even going to play them. However. Ashdown brought back the Klystron in a head form a few years ago and to which they discontinued that as well. However, you can still find some around on ebay and such. Now I believe the new EVO lll's are the new recreation of the Klystron. It seems to have the exact same features and sound.
- Overall Opinion
- There isn't anything to say negatively about this preamp. It was the perfect unit to get blooming, punchy, and responsive bass tone. It was warm and smooth while staying very tight and driving. So many professionals turn to Ashdown for their bass needs and this preamp to me is the best they ever did.
I would recommend trying to find this preamp if you can because it could be a collectors item at some point. If you need something right now then I would look at new EVO lll.
User reviews in other languages
- Bass 500w
- yeah it sounds live
- punk blues
- Overall Opinion
- frankly, € 1,500 (about nuostore) ASHDOWN KLYSTRON the C115-500 EVO 3 575w is probably the best bass amp on the market at this price 500w
I play blues, punk and a friend tested it in jazz ... and it goes!
amazing warm sound of this amp
provide a few beers to go to the rehearsal not be too out of breath on the back as it weighs its weight beast
- Ashdown Site SPECIFICATIONS:
Power Output (RMS) 575W
Frequency Response-3dB at 17Hz and 30kHz
Speaker Outputs Minimum impedance 4 Ohms
High Instrument Input Impedance 3.9m Ohms, input range 150mV - 20V pp
Low Instrument Input Impedance 10k Ohms, input range 300mV - 40V pp
Line Input Impedance 22k Ohms, input level 0dBu nominal
Line Output Impedance 10k Ohms, level 0dBu nominal
DI Output 600 Ohms balanced, level-20dBu nominal
Tuner Output Impedance 1k Ohms, level 0dBu nominal
EQ Bass + /-15dB @ 45Hz
Middle + /-15dB @ 660Hz
Treble + /-15dB @ 7 kHz shelving
Slider 1 + /-15dB @ 110Hz
Slider 2 + /-15dB @ 340Hz
Slider 3 + /-15dB @ 1.3kHz
Slider 4 + /-15dB @ 2.6kHz
Shape (Push Flat) +8 dB @ 50Hz & 4kHz,-8dB @ 400Hz, filter slope - 6dB/octave
Effects Send Impedance 22k Ohms, level 0dBu nominal
Effects Return Impedance 22k Ohms, input level 0dBu nominal
H x W x D (mm) 310 x 470 x 240
Weight (kg) 16
- It uses the CHARACTERISTICS of the heads of so many series ABM rglages possible.
We must take a moment to take its brands to find the usefulness of each button.
No manual supplied but you can download on the website of the brand.
Conus connections are two connections Speakon / jack for speakers.
Most of this head is its look. A marvel, relatively compact and nitre seen that with the head s'alume trmousser made the hair in the slip.
Powerful enough for rpeter and concerts, not need to be bedded rooms for 200 people max.
APRS one year of use ... always satisfied with the quality of the head. All rglages conus are really good and can easily chopper sound sick.
BPS is a group of rooms, and many bass players who tell me that I have a great sound. The footswitch supplied with the compressor enables the Octaver, the drive and qualisation.
- I use it mainly for rock music. There that listen With or without you U2 to imagine the sound coming out of the head.
The valve drive and trs trs Intgr aprci. It provides a warm overdrive trs.
Another effect is the Intgr sub-harmonics, the balance of serious and more. It's great when simpa rises in the treble. No more screaming on the two lower strings Premire.
Snapping sound in his head round and fat that you offer all the sounds you need.
I confirm my APRS about a year. This head is very versatile and offers the quality of a head lamp.
- Overall Opinion
- For several months I use it. This head is truly a marvel. At each concert I was told that I have a bass sound sublime, the ing their hearts because it is also very easy transplanting (DI faade in, line out in back).
Ashdown is a little known brand but it does not continue with the stuff of this quality with prices much infrieurs concurence.
Ngatif point is the price, I ordered directly from England for 870 including shipping compared to 1500 in France. Unfortunately you have many t ask me to site I bought it and they offer the more I do not know why, but I think that digging a little we will not be around that price wrong .
APRS year I would do without this choice hsiter!