Boss DR-202 Dr. Groove user reviews
If you are not satisfied by the reviews below, feel free to request a user review for this product
- Overall Opinion
- acquired on ebay for $180
this is a lightweight, go-anywhere drum machine that can be run off of batteries, compact and easily carried, it allows me to program patterns while on a bus, a plane, etc.
this thing could use a some backlighting fo the LCD dispaly, and both the pads and sounds occasionally leave something to be desired.
construction is fairly solid, the audio outputs in the back feel a bit iffy, but overall not too bad.
for a starter on a budget, it is a decent machine.
This review was originally published on http://www.musicgearreview.com
User reviews in other languages
- Connections: Classic Midi, line ... Damage to the sequencer >>> limited to philosophy drum / bass. One track for synth sounds & 8 for batteries if I remember (check). The perfect companion for this machine >>> A good SHEQ / sampler.
- Setup could not be easier ... just Sound editing or rather his work with filters (cut off ...) + reverb & delay effect live >>> nickel ... Ideal for live.Manuel almost unused.
- Widely used in hip-hop prod ... Sounds after touch nickel. The pads respond well. The drum sounds (rock, hiphop, electro, ...) sample and synth qualité.Côtés good song drumbox all analogue machines Roland fairly well represented if you are looking for piano or violin forget Dr. Groove.
- Overall Opinion
- I bought / sold several times (3times). To this day I regret the whole story toujours.Quasi Analog Roland cheap ... You could say the Groove Box of poor in times of crisis. LoL
She helps out well for live is nickel. Oriented drum & Bass, Electro (House, Trance, ...), Hip-Hop.
The battery compartment ideal for travel, or ideas on hand
I would do this choice with your eyes closed.
- Connectivity classic RCA afternoon ... There are effects, reverb, flanger, delay
Sequencer classic real time or step by step, but exceeded, especially with his little black and white LCD 2 lines!
Lots of sounds against, mainly hip-hop
- typical configuration of drum machine when you have a little experience, if not bone up a little manual. Editing sounds is convenient, you can easily play with the pitch, volume, and the decay of each sound.
- I still have that drum machine, despite the transition to Mao 10 years ago .. and despite the myriad of rhythmic sounds that are available now, the dr-202 boss always gives me a kick or snare when I can not find it elsewhere. I like its sounds not brilliant at the base, a little rough, which are ideal for rhythm that I like .. Are ideal for hip-hop, ambient, down-tempo, abstract etc ... Finally, for me anyway! :)
- Overall Opinion
- I use it for 13 years now (!!!!) without having to try other models before .. Flights, but opportunity today I think it can.
It is above all the grain and color of the sounds are top for me, but then it depends on the taste .. and ease of quick editing sounds. I do not part with it one day .. I love HER!
- Classic drum machine par excellence! Connectivity midi in / out and RCA audio output (dore!! Not even gold plated!)
List of sounds quite well provided for fans of techno and drumnbass ... against the edition by sound is very minimal (almost none!?)
The effects section is to put a little life (flange, delay but unfortunately the sound quality is not there! Which is a shame because with a little bit of time on a program line (especially Leadbass / battery ) really nice!
Sequencer austere and impractical even if it takes the alpha numeric system of old bar! Those habits to see what they program may be a little lost to the metod of the retro programming! (From another point of view is quite logical for this model of BaR wants this "vintage", and moreover it makes quite a few years what is on the market!)
- Config gnrale very simple!
the manual is short and simple as the possibilities of the machine.
Even if the programming of the sequencer just confuse non-habit this kind of machine!
- The DR202 is intended to minimalist electronic music lover! Although some presets are very interesting, most of the sounds is just right! (At that price should not expect miracles either!)
The effects can be quite the interesting but the sound quality is too just to use a pro, which, in my opinion is very bad! This machine is completely full role and if it could be without the evil hum Save it find its place in every electronic music lover!
no expressiveness with the pads of the machine, but with a keyboard or prog. there is no real problem.
Some of the presets batteries are legendary! (And can be used in a "real" production if they have a good audio converter or before the recorder and sutout a good high pass filter!)
For low these other things, some presets are excelente but use as it is almost impossible (again that accursed hum!) on the other hand leads to the well-stocked and up is the original!
- Overall Opinion
- I keep the DR202 for 2 years, I was quite happy to use dtourn we could do. But financial problems forced me my Sparer!
Imposible to compare even then I had several bar but none in the same price range! (Yamaha RM1x, E-muSP1200)
The BOSS DR202 is a purchase if you do find it used, but new it was too expensive for a machine that hums as much! (I repeat myself but it's a shame that the audio output circuit is also bad and that its effects add another layer! The machine shall have been part of the unavoidable!)
- BAR everything standard, intuitive and handy trs
many sounds and usable DIFFERENT
effects: delay / reverb and flanger (very ugly way)
it is on, is not the most unbelievable of BAR, but possde a certain charm ...
- Super simple setup, I do not m'tendrai the top ..
When the manual, I've never had (occase. ..) and frankly, there is not much in this complex BCAN, anyone with dj hack on machines comes out rather quickly ..
- The sounds are quite ralistes my taste, and many may agree, provided not want a standard or a techno!
it is certainly not comfortable in a context where the most important Rhythmic (tech, drum'n'bass, jungle, house, etc ...) and pRSET prcis in these areas are of Moreover loquents enough ..
on the other hand, for use in electro-cool music (who wants to understand ..) I find it frankly gniale, the effects are intuitive and can be even with guts like a MC303 of yesteryear, as the knobs filters and are effective and really rsonnances intuitfs handle, the trend analogue - bottom ...
A recommendation for those who want small-dub soundscapes-electro-hip-hop cool without investing in a complex machine and fill of useless stuff and Drout.
for the info, even when used AIR bte on the album walkie-talkie, no less ... (Even if they mostly did their walk-Linn drum in EXAGRES majority should not either ...)
- Overall Opinion
- I use it for two years now and I do not get tired yet, so this little critter is endearing orange and gray!
particularity the top most is the manipulation of sounds in real time thanks to the knobs, for finding sounds nice in two seconds flat
it is made for musicians who want to primarily spend time playing their instruments, not for hackers who spend hours to program and calculate ..
of course, is totally subjective an opinion, and I still strongly deprecated all those who want to sound hardcore techno, drum'n'bass, because it is really zero br />
is yes, I forgot, do not touch the lower option, it is completely void!
- Socket for the AC adapter (batteries also works)
- Jack pedals (BOSS FS-5U)
- Taken MIDI I / O
- Outputs (L / R) RCA
- Headphone output with volume
Music / Styles
- 48 bass sounds / more octaves
- 200 drum sounds
- All Fully ditable
- 127 preset patterns, 11 "styles"
- 99 user patterns
- Step and record Real Time
- Without being an expert in bote rate, the grip is comfortable: it discovering the limits of the presets and have fun trs quickly edit the kits.
- In real time although Obviously, the Systm sliders / Arrows provides good navigation custom settings if you stay a minimum concentrbr />
- In French and English year, say anything, all there.
- DR 202 Groove Box is a tool Submitted as the DANCE. Personally, I use it for rock, shuffled into the kits and playing with all parameter. For fans of hip hop and others, I think that is l. Contents
- The bass sounds are not all may be at the top, I use it solely by playing octaves with supplmentaires for interventions.
- In addition to the effects of chorus / flanger / reverb, it takes on the "cutoff", the "resonance" and "decay", which can be used in real time thanks to potentiomtres, that each element either spar or only on the bass, or only ledrum entire kit, which allows use trs live rich.
The race of each pad is relatively short, which does not subtilis great game, but this is a box of rhythm above all: to not - no, it is s r can be played on each element of the attack, what remains when even tedious. Personally, I opt for the solution of all pads used by assigning a same lment of two spars pads, but with DIFFERENT paramtres: for example, is possible to simulate two snare hits, one in the middle, powerful (with the "hoop slamming"), and a more dry on the skin tighter, knowledge to the outline.
The expression for the bass is more problmatique, as it is in play on the pads. There are many random image function for portamento, but I never use it because I can never get your exact discount, and in addition it is strangely not undo this function an edition once it has been applied.
Sounds yum and yuck
With all the Settings, you can get what you search, assuming we know what is wanted, we take the time to wish dcomposer signal then build on the basis of good pte: basically, it must be prt and fiddle with it the charm of the machine to play with the pan, not a double hsiter m lment me with paramtres DIFFERENT, play with live filters, etc. etc..
- Overall Opinion
One year I use, the APRS trying for a month in prt> I care!
+ And -
- BAR is a classic, but there are too many rotten presets which I gladly pass
- SETTING THE The filters do not remain live when changing pattern live
- The polyphony of me dj possible problem, but to my greed
- The Bass .... luckily I have one, but beware, I use it for the "rock"
- The impossibility to make measurements compounds (5 / 4 niet !!!!)
+ Simplicity cohrence
+ Filters !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
+ The majority of the sounds are usable, and I have not finished
+ The possibility to couple it with a sampler to make itself sound-bbs
I have not tried many other models, but the quality-price ratio for use sduit me live it rpond Submitted still, do not type ct ... in short, a good friend never ends!