Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass - Black user reviews
- Overall Opinion
- This is the Geddy Lee Signature Jazz Bass by Fender. You are probably well aware of Geddy Lee's work with classic rock gods Rush. The snotty, distinct fat bass tone can be had now in Geddy's signature Fender.
These have been out for a few years now. I'm going to guess since 2008. It is still in production as of 2011 and is now offered in a vintage 3 tone sunburst.I picked up a used black Geddy Lee bass with gig bag for $500.
<a href="Resource id #1">Resource id #1</a>
I really like the look. A black jazz bass, maple neck and black block inlays just really looks sharp.
None at all.
The two features that give the Geddy Lee model its distinct tone is the bridge, a Leo Quann Badass II Bridge and the wider spacing between the two single coil jazz bass pickups.
The body is made from alder wood. The neck is a one piece neck made from Maple and is shaped in the popular C shape.
Sound just as cool as you look with this strapped around your neck!
This review was originally published on http://www.musicgearreview.com
- The Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass I have was made in the USA. I'm not sure how many frets it has but has a single pick up and a volume and tone control for it. It is made very well and while it is the Geddy Lee model, this is a real Jazz Bass and sounds and feels like a Jazz Bass to me.
- The neck on this bass has a very nice feel to it. It is easy to play on the last frets and just feels good all around when you are playing it. It isn't too heavy, but isn't the lightest bass I've played. I love the sound I can get out of this as it definitley has a 'Geddy Lee' like sound. It is easy to get a good sound from it and the tone control allows for the ability to make a few different types of tones.
- The bass fits my style of music, which is mostly rock, pop and folk. It works great as a kind of 'lead bass' type sound and can also sound really heavy and full to fill up that bottom end of the spectrum. I have used it mostly with a Peavey bass amp for live shows and usually record it with a DI box. You can get a pretty clean tone from it and you can also get it to sound pretty gritty as well - most of it is in the fingers, but the bass is definitley pretty versatile.
- Overall Opinion
- I've been using the Geddy Lee Jazz Bass for about four years. For the price it gives me a bass with a good feel and tone that doesn't break the bank. While you could probably sound like Geddy with this bass, it isn't limited to just sounds like that and is an overall good sounding bass. While it isn't as good as some of the other Jazz Basses I have played, for the price it is a great option that sounds pretty darn good.
- In which country was it made? Japan
How many frets? 20
What types of micro and their configuration? JB U.S. Vintage
What type of bridge (Floyd, Wilkinson ...)? Leo Quan Badass II
What are the settings (volume, tone, micro switch ...)? 2 volumes 1 tone
What kind of handle? Maple, C-shaped end, even very fine
- The handle is it nice? For me, yes. The guitarists who want a low end with a handle will be filled: that of my tv japan is thicker and wider!
Access to acute (recent freight) is it easy? Yes, finally there are other basses that have better access to acute.
Ergonomics is it good (in terms of shape, weight ...)? Yes, no worries.
Do you get a good sound easy? If we know what we can learn from this low, it is yes. Just play with the two volumes for a range of sounds very classic, but crazy. Of his way to Jaco bass chords post-punk, everything is there. If that's not enough, a small active preamp will go to walk around at Mr. Miller.
- Are they adequate for your style of music? Yes, because I do not have a style of music in particular. If it is to play in a specific genre, it is better to buy a specific instrument (therefore necessarily limited). The JB is open to everything, and it is in how to play it all happens.
With what (s) amp (s) or effect (s) do you play? Console online or bassman ten.
What types of sounds you get and with what settings ("crystalline", "fat", ....)? All but the sounds "active"
What are the sounds you prefer? All / What you hate? No
- Overall Opinion
- How long you use it? A year and a half
What is so special that you like best? Sound, handle and comfort, indivisible.
What is so special that you like least? Perhaps the Badass (not a fan, even on PB) that I replaced with a 75 Jazzbass "normal" and I like better (subjective). I would have liked a thinner finish to the sound, but it will start to use.
Did you tried many other models before buying it? I had Hohner JJ, PB Squier MIM (yes) and PB Standard U.S. (and on svt3pro ampeg 4x10/1x15)
How would you rate the quality / price? Very good
With experience, you do again this choice? Yes. Muy bien put notes everywhere, it makes school fans, but it seems to me justified. The mechanics are far from crappy (compared to my original Gotoh Tele ICJ) as I read it often. There are better, but it does not bother to focus on it unnecessarily. The electronics are very well made (JB Vintage Mics USA, CTS pots, Switchcraft jack) so nothing to change. It lacks a flycase.
- Made in Japan
For specifications see page builder
very good violin, superb finish
- Handle end, a real highway, I love it, I did not find it on another low
The bass is not too heavy, perfectly balanced
Settings simple and effective, we get the sound you search easily
The handle is a real highway, what a pleasure to play on. Switch to another bass makes me really weird now ...
- This bass suits me perfectly, it's versatile with wish, you can play many musical styles. Nothing to say. I bought it primarily in low to play rock / blues rock and I'm not disappointed.
- Overall Opinion
- I use it for 4 years now and I am fully satisfied. I have owned 5 other bass from low end to high end and this one I preferred by far. The most important thing for me is the comfort of play (the handle very very good I said, the reasonable weight and look!)
Excellent value for money, nothing wrong
I remake that choice without hesitation
I put 9 because there are obviously better quality but low price is not the same!
- It's a Japanese.
Alder body paint (urethane)
Neck profile: Form C end
Size of Frets: Medium Jumbo
INLAYS ups: Black, rectangular. (Painted, not inlaid)
Radius key: 9.5 "(24.1 cm)
Fingerboard: Maple lacquer
Neck Material: Maple neck
Neck Finish: Gloss Urethane
Nut width: 1.5 "(38.1 mm)
Length of tune: 34 "(86.36 cm)
Mounting plate of the handle: Vintage Style, 4 screws.
The 2 pickups are vintage U.S. (of head) modified with 2 volumes and a general tone.
The bridge is a Badass II, the hardware is chrome.
The only problem with this bass: its mechanisms that were rotten (and cons of exchange shall)
- The handle is the end of the range Fender (there seems). The curvature of his touch is very pleasant (I can not stand the flat keys). It is rather light and well balanced. It's a 20 frets, so the treble is automatically limited, and it is not in the registry that I am offered.
Regarding the manipulation of sound is a pure simplicity fenderienne. 2 vol/1ton. I thought to install a separate tone for each pickup, but no.
the knobs origins are frankly means they have been changed for linear (head).
And what about the mechanical, which did not agree ... Once these two issues resolved, it is a killer!
- The bridge pickup is positioned as in the 70's. It is a little corner area, but it has the merit of permetre have a clear, defined, and growling at the same time, by measuring with the neck pickup.
- Overall Opinion
- I use it for nearly a year, it is now my main bass. I play the mediator, with the distortion / fuzz most often (I have a guitarist in the group). As topute fender, it is Bouree of defects, but a passage through the box maker pplus later, it was a slaughter.
His microphone is not very pechus, but she quietly bore the mix, even with strings rinsed.
It was still the only Fender who love fucking foaming at the lips, while I have tried many!
- Everything has been said many times lower, I do not think it is worth repeating ...
- Handle more than pleasant, super fast, end in every sense of the term, much more than Jazzbass in general. We are really close to perfection at this level. Then we can always choose another patent (me he's fine) or anything other than a rosewood fingerboard, but then it's a matter of detail and personal taste. In the style I have not found better for comfort anyway.
Access to acute right, like any Jazzbass, and even though I'm not often I walk by there, I sometimes miss the 21 th fret, but again it's a detail ...
The badass bridge 2 is really good, and I find it more visually friendly.
For settings, is simple: neck pickup volume, bridge pickup volume, tone. What Jazzbass basic, simple and effective.
Side weight, nothing special to report, it is average.
- Here we have the typical sound of a Jazzbass, it can be just blame the microphone volume output a little feeble, but hey, just get a little amp if you are not happy!
You can play everything with this bass, from Miles Davis to rage against the machine, to Bob Marley, by adapting some of the amp settings according to the desired style, and more. (Special mention for the slap, so nice, so thanks to the sound through the neck) Good afternoon, there was no potato in a good old stingray eh. Not at all the same style.
- Overall Opinion
- I use it for two years now.
The highlight of this bass is definitely his sleeve, close to perfection. The left hand moves on its own it!
In storytelling, the biggest problem of this low, it's mechanical, without hesitation, that I changed almost immediately. Not that they do not take the tuning when you play, but they are very rough when tuning, which then reveals relatively long and annoying, and I still find that for a low at about 1000 euros, they could make an effort! But hey, 50 euros, a few tweaks, and everything is better!
I have tried many other models before buying, many other Jazzbass (standard, deluxe ...) and it again made me decide the handle.
I do it again so this choice without hesitation, it is widely as well as an American, and the price is far from being the same ... I recommend!
- Needless to rpter everything tt adj said the world below.
Ditto, I confirm that the handle is a highway, the two badass walking nickel.
There are more class as position mark on the handle but this is a minor dtail.
- Channel super enjoyable, great for me who has small hands.
Sustain trs good. Access in acute right (but 20 frets; ().
Excellent (test 130wtt Trace Elliot no lamp).
- I play everything.
It is versatile. Ease of play and immpecc. to slap, hard, jazz ....
Also walk a lot on the rush, for Geddy Lee, not bad;)
- Overall Opinion
- Bought it recently (mid-2008), for intensive use (harm me Spar).
Report quality / price excellent (850 to 950 new euros).
Go ngocier in store, the prices seen on the internet in hand.
It then passes magically 950 1200.
A chouilla more expensive than on the net (70 euros with Germany), but less risk, better warranty, work zic local stores.
I have long hsiter between the bass and Marcus M, I do not regret.
Comparing the store, I fell for the ease of this round.
And I opt for the full passive. Tight deadlines then a good pre-amp to do the job of electronic active. In my opinion, most versatile of the fawn.
The important thing to have as its base, not fiddle with good quality.
- I will again stress the exeptional comfort of the handle of the jazz bass from all the other classics, and whose ratings were reviewed by Mr t Geddy Lee seems to me there. Trs of finely crafted Japanese is the comparison with amricaines. I must say that last year I possde this bass did not move the handle. Only a small mcaniques mritent BMOL, I've changed for vintage Fender Schaller type, more prcises. Replaceable in the white pickguard trs common for a fawn MODEL "Quail Turtle" this bass is at once a great vintage look: I love ... The bass is home team with a badass II bridge, a big plus for the prcison rglages and sustain, the sustain ... And finally rcemment I opt for the replacement of American Vintage pickups for Nückel Barne, these microphones are hand made in England, what the great class. Premire conclusions after one week: the one who wins indniablement trs equilibrated in heat, and precision in Aiges. And the bass seems less sensitive to noise, but is confirmed. A beautiful opration I do not regret even if we had to cel I dbourse prs 200.
- The legendary jazz bass the SETTING THE: simplicity, efficiency brief sound in all circumstances. We understand why this is indmodable low.
The handle is comfortable and fast trs, the gloss vintage does not catch, even with sweat. I have not proven the need to Posner, and it would be a shame to take away the charm .. And gives the key rablelui rsolument prdisposition for a slap. The Badass II bridge to adjust the string action with great precision, nothing wrong.
- I bought this bass to play soul and jazz, and draw near to the famous jazz bass sound from the 70s/80s, without putting the budget to offer me a "real" vintage. And I must say that this bass rpond trs well my expectations for this style of music. And my group is convinced! In contrast to my Warwick. The two open mics background, Tone 100% I find this depth, the roundness typical jazz bass, and if the grain in slap CHARACTERISTICS .. a part of music history. In privilgiant gradually bridge pickup, the Tone 50%, and adapting his game to the finger prs of the bridge, we obtain without difficulty that famous color mdium here Dfine good and clear, certainly Saddle the key is for nothing. And even the strings are important. I use Elixir 45-105, APRS and have tried Rotosound of the same tie, the strings of the 70 traditional, there is a fan or not, personally I like less about comfort and .. . but the look is perfect.
- Overall Opinion
- I possde this bass for a year, I love its versatility, the concept of jazz bass and simplicity ... not making head in fine with rglages, the sound is always the matter the hardware derrire, amplifier, mixer. Aguilar combo on my sound is clear and prcis on scne are deep and serious group sound is the well Dfine. By boosting the treble a bit I found that I like grain.
While this is not the sound of the great violin, nor the warmth of the era of jazz bass, but less than 1000 was an instrument of good quality and trs Having tried a few others including jazz bass amricaines, it is certainly for me the best price at this level of Fender. I must say that I even prfre the Deluxe 5c I AM a few years ago, may be because I found him a more natural cot.
- Everything is said above. But like all insist on the quality of the handle, I tried many low rounds trs purposes and that is the the best, fan of precision, go your way, it ' is the opposite
- Handle the handle the handle --------- Impec enjoyable "fast" sweet .......... C for the rest what a jazz bass! but with its superior quality even when the mean. There are RULES branch is the neck pickup or the bridge pickup, the two at the same time, as you will, it is always good, even excellent!
- Is LOW, the extreme versatile, con, just all kinds of games, amp, sounds ........... I find nothing wrong ........
- Overall Opinion
- It's been a over a year I use it alternately with a "custom luthier (Michel SCAMPI)" and there is only This category we rouve better and yet I spend my try the low life (that is second nature) there is no point ngatif if you want to find one, we can possibly talk about the weight but it was really to say something because it is trs is bearable and especially hyper equilibrated (more often it is not lightweight qulibr. qualitprix Report unbeatable, there's a sale now, if you hsitez, you can darken their eyes closed. Report quality / price ratio - If I should happen to her malheurn Rasht one pronto! I just spent over seven hours without stopping and no sign of fatigue, nor in the arm, shoulder, fingers ....... nothing. Oh yes, I veisn to find a large default trs ........ that does not exist for left !!!!!!!!
- MADE IN JAPAN (and be seen!) The violin is very beautiful irrepochable low ... its quite a lot of typ carractre the bug, I changed the pickups for Bartolini and I now I need the sound (punchy but accurate, just from the perspective of the last megadeth)
- The handle is superb as well esttiquement qu'agrable touch
- I play the good old Hard Rock (maiden, metalica, Ozzy) I have a TC Electronics RH 450 and the fact that the torque of the century is a little Angelina Jolie Brad Pitt ...
- Overall Opinion
- I use it for 8 months, and more I play with and I like it, before I had a precision Mexico, a precision United States, an Ibanez SDGR1000, an Ibanez roadstar, a Cort GB34 one Jim Harley ... and I've never had a lightning strike like this. the only one that made me silent as a flacher frank bello fender but silent at the store and I only play 10 minutes.
This low Representative for me the best quality market prices.
I confirm: The Made in Japan are either good or trs fantastic Made in the United States are either correct or Fantastic. So the choice of japan is the assurance ...
I Refer this choice, and I will never sell my jewelry!!
- Page: 1