• Increase or decrease font size

Bad Cat Cub II Head : mooseherman's user review

9 (9/10)

Characteristics

This is a pretty warm tube amplifier. It is made in America. There are two quarter-inch inputs, as well as the external speaker output. There is also a unique speaker impedence selector. The amp is only 15 watts, but this is not a problem as there's enough power to rock this thing well. There are controls for volume, Cut, Reverb, Master volume, and also a unique selectable 5-way Rotary Tone Switch, which can be used in that capacity, or can be changed to custom bass and treble selection.

Utilization 9/10

Getting a good sound out of this amp is pretty much a piece of cake. I really like the fact that you can get a warm, popping sound without having to crank the amp up to ungodly volumes. The manual is a pretty good resource for figuring the amp out, though I'm sure almost anyone can figure it out without using the manual. The 5-way tone switch is cool for awhile, but I think most people will either stick with one of the tone presets or find a custom setting that they really like and stick with that. That's what I did, at least.

Sounds 9/10

This is a great sounding amplifier. The tones that you can get range from clean and pleasant, to warm and slightly fuzzy, to outright dirty. This is all natural-sounding, so you know it's great for blues and rock (at least real rock and roll). I think that Teles and Strats are the best type of guitars for this, at least the single-coil variety of guitars will probably sound better. However, I've played a hollow-body or two on it that I also really liked the sound of. I think that most fans of this type of sound would at least like this amp, if not love it. It doesn't quite have the character of a Twin, which for me is a real drag as I was hoping this would be a cheaper alternative to the high-end Twin and Twin reverb. But I think in it's own right it is pretty great.

Overall Opinion 8/10

I'd highly recommend this amp to guys who play electric country, or blues, or old school rock music. This thing kind of needs to be pushed really hard to get a good tone, but it doesn't get TOO loud when doing so. Plus, most amps are built like that anyway. So I'd have to say that for the price, this is a great buy. You could do a whole lot worse for the same price.