Hughes & Kettner Trilogy user reviews
If you are not satisfied by the reviews below, feel free to request a user review for this product
- This a German company who designs high quality guitar amps for touring musicians and the average consumer. They guitar amps that range from just a few hundred dollars to several thousand. These amps have a loyal following from many varies musical genres. This amp crosses some genres with its musically versatility.
This amp has four channels. You get a clean, crunch, lead, and ultra lead. You also get a sparkle booster and a boost for the crunch. This amp is for the British style voicing. You are going to get really a nu-metal or modern metal tone from here with out a little work EQing it up. It naturally goes towards the hot-rodded Marshall style tone.
- Channels Clean (+Sparkle), Crunch (+Boost), Lead, Ultra Lead
Power 100 Watts
Poweramp 4x EL34
Preamp 4x 12AX7
Effects Loop serial/parallel
MIDI built in
Footswitch/Stageboard 4-way Footswitch (FS-4) included
Switching Functions Clean, Crunch, Lead, Ultra Lead
Special Features Smart Loop, MIDI built in
Speaker Outputs 1x 4 Ohms, 1x 8/2x 16 Ohms, 1x 16 Ohms
Suggested Speaker Cabinet VC 412 A/B 30, VC 412 A/B 25
Dimensions 750 x 286 x 258 mm
Weight 21 kg/46 lbs
- Te clean tone is pretty good but nothing special. It does a basic good job at cleans. The crunch channel gets better and can easily pull off some AC/DC types tones or even some Led Zeppelin sounding tones. The lead is where this thing starts to get great. You get a very fluid lead tone and a nice smooth gain to the overall feeling and voicing of this channel. It gets better though...the ultra lead channel is just glorious. This channel is just splendid in all ways rock n roll. The voicing of this channel is just perfect to my ears. It is deep and throaty that makes you inspired to play and write riffs or songs. I prefer this amp over the Triamp a little more because I feel the throatyness of this amp is better for my style of playing.
- Overall Opinion
- At new these amps come in at around $1599. That is a fantastic price for this amp. You get four usable channels and a great lead tones and cleans tones. I would recommend this to anyone who is searching for a great priced versatile British style amp that has four channels. For the money this is a very good buy.
User reviews in other languages
- All Tube 100W
output 4ohm, 2x16 or 1x16 or 1x8ohm
MIDI controllable by most of the pedal that possess this technology (which is very very convenient!)
the rest has all been said!
- A very versatile head! even in his thanks to multiple output connections!
one connects it all easily and when it is turned .... ben already one contemplates 10 minutes ^ ^
the knobs are quite progressive and very reactive at the same time, the settings are done instinctively, we jump from one channel to another using a footswitch sold well made with (a luxury that deprives us recall the specific brands! ) and it sounds well enough in very short time ...
possibility of using an effects loop and it's still very well done!
MIDI control just as easy to use! when connected to a multi-effect of a button allows you to store the channels and settings to trigger the amp celon bank indeed!
So it becomes simple enough to couple the amp has an external device.
against by the manual and a little elusive at times for my taste ....
- I play a lot of different styles, but more particularly of metal (heavy, speed ...) and it works very well! versatility and a wide range of sounds:
It clean: crystalline, pure, warm, with a function "sparkle" that enhances the shine. we can both play smooth, it runs pleasantly, and then go a little more in, then crunch it very lightly with a nice little record "bluesy." A channel that can be eaten plain or with sauce ^ ^ because it can serve as a good basis for certain effects preamp!
It crunch: surprise! rule is a will and moving from a very bright sound to a slightly grainy old 70's sound very incisive or even (thanks to a "boost") a very aggressive near disto! I am not yet a user's hard crunch, but I admit to being well stuck on and I found myself using a lot of old pieces of rock!
It lead / lead ultra: 2 channels in one actually. The lead is a pretty hot but the distortion modern s'addapte a lot of things if we take the time to fine tune the settings. A close-grained and clear but quite rich in harmonics! ultra is close enough while standing out: the bass are present, we have made a slightly more grainy, slightly heavier ...
often criticized the lack of a gain that dear Trilogy and it is true that if you want a true black and his death is not ideal (though playing with some effects is playable!) but as the said one of my predecessors is also a matter of games! (For the attack you have to be aggressive! Good it is also true that if your guitar is a little "micro soft" it will soon be caught out!
one small problem: no reverb ... which is not very serious in the end because it includes very easily thanks to the external effects loop! ah yes: for lead and lead there are two ultra separate gain .... but only one master! damage.
ben if it sounds of thunder and it sends serious!!
- Overall Opinion
- I did the last few days and I won! I use it coupled to an old GT6 (yes I know! yuck!) that I include in my loop so I can enjoy all of the expressive pannel Excellent amp while adding some modulation effect or reverb WG (not so bad bill!). By mixing all we can Scult a multitude of sounds and ambience, with a warmth and responsiveness quite enjoyable! (Pout and I'm currently connected to an old Marshall 4x12 cabinet with enough low end and it sounds good already!)
After the key word of this amp is Multipurpose! So if you want an example Essenciel its metal you can direct you to biensur engl if you want, you will direct the big metal well (although the trilogy generates less wind!) but if you look at the Trilogy a while should be also, and will offer many more possibilities!
and then ben aesthetically speaking: put out a discrete beauty ..... turned it into a max throws with one hand very class! : P
Finally, the price is quite big but it may be worth
- Full 100w lamps
see data sheet on-site builder
>> Important head ULTRA POWERFUL! ;-)
connected to a 4x12 Crate BV (celestion vintage 30), ca mechemment deposit!
home I rarely exceeded the volume of 1.5 - 2!
repeating, you push a little more balls but plan kies;)
not to mention the look in the dark ... haaa blue lights everywhere is great!
- Config childish, simple manual
- Two types of very clean with a crystalline ... I love!
the crunch is good, but not my style of play ..
will we go to the disto: lead and ultra ... frankly the two sounds are quite similar I think ... but they are really quality!
harmonics fuse on their own ... a joy
Being a fan of metal 80-90 years, with a lead sound with a lot of medium is the top (maiden, europe, ...) on the other hand for more trash sounds very hollow ... well we could stay on hungry, provide a boss metal zone or external equalizer ...
- Overall Opinion
- I used it for one year before selling to move to a full rack.
Having had a previous head Marshall 6100 LM Anniversary with similar characteristics, I would place slightly before the marshall for the lead and crunch sounds, but the HK is the front when it comes to clean sounds! The HK is an excellent head, super versatile.
purchased new in 1250 eur at Beyers VPC-music germany
to get an idea, take a look at my videos: www.youtube.com / olicbr
- All-tube amplifier with four 12AX7 preamp and 4 for the EL34 for power (100 watt, ca promises). In fact, before making this purchase I looked at the issue (we do not want to throw his money no matter how right?) And my research came out the main info that it is in fact virtually the same as that of electronic triamp but instead of the lamps for each preamp of Record (lamp crunch channel are used as channel crunch, those that lead the lead ...) and ben Trilogy uses the same lamps for different channels ... What difference does it make ... not much in sound but at the price ..... we gain very much! and then when you have a triamp it is nice but the day must be the 14 lamps Retube !!!!.......
cot connection ben standard input, loop attenuator of -10 dB (I think) outputs 1x4 ohms, ohms 1x16, 1x6 or 2x16ohms. switch comes with 4 buttons corny (clean, crunch, lead and ultra-lead) and I stop just to say that this switch, all the same, we recognize the German manufacture. is sober, there's 4 buttons ... but it's solid!! Not afraid to smash buttons kick too bold, but rather the foot that may have hurt. And to finish the connection, 2nd important thing in my opinion, an input jack for an additional switch that allows to initiate the loop or not, which was a critical one in the choice of my head. we want to engage in same 3 tps ds effects loop or cut at the same tps you spend on the lead .... switch the loop! ca con seems like that but for me it is very important, more practical than a bypass on a multi-purpose. And well it should be remembered that the loop engages is pert in quality of equalization.
Last point is a selling point at H & K: it already has in midi so that you can control via the rack effect at the same tps as the effects themselves, according to your presets, your settings, your MIDI foot controller. I personally know the possibilities but I've never tried one day I can be put to MIDI effects ....
Each channel has its own equalo, the lead channel has two selectable gains by the switch (or ultra lead) but use the same equalo (damage), the crunch channel possesses a boost (not selectable via pedal, re-injury) and clean function "sparkle" good at H & K but also not selectable by switch (re-re-injury). but these options may still be selected via noon, effects rack, cable, switch noon complications, scrambled, etc. headlock ... and then ben master for each channel, presence, master general, mix loop ...
9 / 10 because j'aurrais AIM to select ALL my peton and the equation for the two joint lead but still, I am very demanding and then there's still all about the head ... is a 3 channel amp 1 / 2 rather than 4 channels. And she is beautiful .....
- Simple configuration, you plug the bazaar, we light: Wow! the glass, small blue small lights, all flashing .... we not finish the look. is allowed to heat lamps, remove the standby and everything is very intuitive ... knobs, regalges standards, it sounds live, then you have to go to refine the tps. Without being a mesa o button when a knob ca affect other, the interactivity of equalos is felt, but it goes a little tps find the first correct. A few glances on the switch and the loop effects for fans like me and just makes sense. Y a manual, although explicit rdig be very useful for "midistes" but if you look to be sure to know everything.
- The sound!! ahhh, finally!
Should it my style? Yes, I use all channels and is a rgal.
clean: very clean, lime, nothing to envy to triamp, I find it almost better. function adds sparkle of polished slamming, it's wonderful.
Crunch: Creamy, we never tire of it with the grain H & K very pleasant, the added boost of gain, potato, dynamics.
Lead: british sound, I love, very powerful, very sharp and very clean, it does not bleed and if you like me enjoys the mtal very rugged and ben is the foot, it's a razor!
Ultra lead: more noise amricaine is warmer, ca snore more, a little less accurate but I think it depends mostly of micro scratches, and it's still the razor as the precedent, then matter of taste. I personally find both EXCELLENT!
eventually lead equalo common to both is not so disturbing as that because I fall on the same settings for both (coincidentally).
As I said I made the head and this ensures mtal as not possible. I like the grain H & K, not enough known to me. the cleans are beautiful, the monstrous lead. Then there is the head of bp bcp is a lamp that at least up to a quarter volume for the sound ideal, good compression lamps etc ... And also about power, do not make me laugh with 120 or 150 "watt lamp", it is 100 watts and I've never pushed a least 5 more: very very powerful!
- Overall Opinion
- I use it for a year, I wanted to wait long before making this opinion to weigh what I write. I like its versatility, its sounds, its power, its mouth and the fact that it is "complete". In concert, in the semi-darkness you can not see it! solidity of the sound design! I doubted a little momment APRS have purchased on its sound, so it was really what I wanted etc. But at the time I was playing on a baffle means. I have since acquired a 4xV30 of ENGL (remain German, the solid foolproof) and the difference was clear, it is a magical speaker. Since I'm on the ass every time I play it .... Before buying it I looked and tried bcp model but this one came out of the lot for all CHARACTERISTICS cites ... And I hide it not suited to my hair cell-budget report qualitprix monstrous.
This choice I would do 100% if I came back one year back. Then maybe my tastes will change eventually but for now I'm in love ...
- The Trilogy: All Tube Amplifier Head delivers 100W to zoreilles so be careful during rehearsals
An input in front, behind a effects loop
1 pedal switch 4 for 4 channels of the beast and ability to manage the level of the loop with an optional pedal
For those who want to stick rack effects to the head, the whole is built noon, more than I have rarely seen on other amps
I return to the front and settings:
4 channels: clean / crunch / lead / ultralead with two modes for each channel!
only regret one EQ for lead and ultralead what appears to me to three channels
head lamps all H & K and 2 channels with 3 modes per channel, it reminds you anything?
and yes the legendary Triamp, in fact, the Trilogy is a sort of little Triamp for those that not in, but beware of the copy is not low end, it has its grain and character!
As for negative points, y 'has a big, there's no reverb!
7 / 10 because no one reverb and equalization for 2-channel
- With regard to the sound then there is no problem, you scratch your arm, you set the volumes and approximately EQ and it sounds terrible right now
A clean mode: clear, clean, accurate
Mode B: plus a natural edge even more than a TV
A crunch mode: this is going good crunch fat in dry
B mode: it is a boost, then you got an outright distortion for riff good upset
lead and lead ultra: saturated fat very well fit in it. The ultra channel gives more serious and a little more grain a filthy
Anyway the manual clearly explains the different settings can
9 / 10 because perfection does not exist but there I am very demanding
- This amp is super versatile, I play alternative rock group with but I also play jazz, blues, and from time to time require edgy rock and there's a big sound all in this amp! foot
For jazz, it's not ecstasy but with an ES-335 I assure you that it sounds
For the blues then this is the dream
and the rock, well it is built for that ...
I play it mostly with a stratum that is no longer manufactured but it is the equivalent of a deluxe single microphone mounted on three Texas Special
plain get crystal clear sound, a little sharp and very precise
a crunch in its aggressive and dry with a lot of acute
lead to a big fat well, serious and most accurate which takes a little time to adapt to master the craft
I was looking for a power amp for a while and I've tried many. I'm the type with the demanding stuff and there I found what I was looking
10/10 because it suits me 100%
- Overall Opinion
- I play it for 3 months, I am still trying to get over it! I tried this amp for several months, I tried the B52, Marshall, Rivera, Roland, Peavy, Fender and Mesa / Boogie never get what I was looking for
I find it difficult to say whether the price / quality ratio is good since I am bringing the head of Germany right out and I got to 1390 euros. If you are in France at the price indicated above is that you got lucky, I think it should be a bit more especially in the provinces.
If I had to redo this choice? Obviously I would buy the same for 1600 euros