Mesa Boogie Mini Rectifier Twenty Five Head user reviews
If you are not satisfied by the reviews below, feel free to request a user review for this product
- Compact design. 2 channels. 25 watts with 15 watt selectable. All tube design and effects loop. Footswitch included.
This is for all intents a Dual rectifier minus one channel and a couple of throwaway features. Sure the power tubes are EL84's but I was never a fan of the 6L6 design anyway.
- I think this design was a long time coming and it's a good thin Mesa did it. The fact is, that a Dual rec has way too much volume on tap for most people and a more portable amp is always something people will appreciate. I can say the mini rec is a little bit different dialing in than the original model which was and always has been a bit of an oddity with the knob turning. While the general rules of the old design are at play here, the different power amp style makes the master have a bit more of a role than before. Although the El84's are not very hot so even on higher volume settings it's difficult to get a lot of power amp gain. Be wary though on the 15 watt setting you will get some breakup at higher volumes. This isn't always something you want from the ole rec but to each his own. Personally I feel that this amp's design relies on 90% preamp gain and putting it in a design with power amp breakup involved is sort of reductive.
- Let's face it. The clean channel on these has always been pretty glassy. It really depends what you want and how you dial it in, but if you work at it you can get it into blackface (ish) territory. The pushed switch is off limits for me. I don't care for having a dirty clean channel based off preamp gain.
The lead channel is where it's at, and I'm happy to say it gets the recto chunk down just fine. Mesa did a really good job of translating the design to a smaller chassis and there's a lot to be said for that. After all, this is what people are going to buy it for.
- Overall Opinion
- I'm getting addicted to this little 10-25 watt amps that every company seems to be putting out. It's great that mesa got on board. This is a well constructed amp. The FX loop is good. Everything is top notch. I think the price is about right considering what you get. This is pretty much a low wattage single rectifier.
User reviews in other languages
- Reader (very long!) AF and scratch to even further, I finally passes no account creation and writing my first review that I hope you will! I chose to start with the head because it is the stuff that has me most recently ... but others will follow!
Well, on this topic I started rather weakly lazy ... everything has been said in previous reviews!
- Guitarist for 25 years, I have seen spend gear and I have a little practice level control EQ! ... So no worries settings, I quickly pulled the sound I wanted this little monster, and the four modes!
Once it has integrated interactions knobs and we know how to fiddle with the knobs of the EQ (sources of great sound and very sensitive wealth) and especially the Gain / Low relationship is a child's play!
For those who have never had to deal with a Rectifier, take the time to master the thing, but it comes as we learn the bike, with patience!
- So, I say clearly, simply just great on all points!
Sorry to say but if you are unable to get great sounds from the different channels / modes is that you do not know the address (which is valid for other members of his family also .. .)
I use it mainly in the studio and is a killer ... coupled with a Marshall 1960A or a 2x12 Rectifier is perfect. I have personally tested the Recto 1x12 cabinet but used the speakers with more body, I chose to live my biggest speakers. But to save it goes very well and is very well built (like head whose finish and choice of materials is impeccable).
The ability to switch on each channel and 10W/25W to saturate the EL84 offers new opportunities on a Front with a modified sound color. The Modern mode 10W, with gain 7 and 6-7 Master bringing a little saturation power tubes, for example, allows access to a distortion, full, fat but clearly different from that which is obtained by 25W sound classic Rectifier. But beware, it is necessary to push the beast (especially 10W on channel 2) to enjoy. I take this opportunity to confirm some opinions: it is not at all an apartment amp! It is made to be pushed and this is a portable sudio / snooze / scene and not for a room! Do not let yourself be fooled by its size and if you want to buy to send in your graouh peeping at 22h, go your way ...
Very quiet, no background noise (there is also a lot quieter "at rest" my Roadster) except of course, on channel 2, there is a nice breath ... but it is a High Gain amp, not the perfect tool Jazzman! A small noise gate in the loop and it's all good.
Its great versatility is a huge asset, and even better, it does everything very well. The clean is great, far from the first Dual, like crunches. As I said, it's all about settings and when we found the "sweet spot" of each mode, it is orgasmic.
- Overall Opinion
- I acquired upon its release in October 2011 and has (and have owned) a bunch of amps from the JCM800, the Invader, the Krankenstien, through the Roadster .... all beautiful gear war, but the mini heads democratizing I walked in, power / size ratio appealing to me more and more. I have not hurt at the moment (and yeah, I know, I'm a little collector, my wife often told me ....), two Orange (Dark Terror and TH30), a Krankenstein Jr and Blackstar HT-20.
Clearly, the Front I prefer although they are all good. It is more expensive but if it returns the number of sound possibilities that it offers, there is no competitor among my lunchbox, and the price is justified directly.
Its sound quality and workmanship stands out and his presence in the studio is such that I do not use other than for taking very specific sounds.
- Head tube amp 2 channels, 4 modes, 25 or 10 watts for 5kg, footswitch and cover included
There is nothing to say, this amp head is extremely practical and its characteristics are optimized. In addition, it is beautiful: shiny metal plate, red LEDs are arranged inside and light up when the ignition is switched. This is for me the most beautiful mini head. But it is still quite ridiculous, it's still a toaster especially live and used a 4x12: D
- Setup is simple and complete, I did not need the manual. We obtain Rectifier sound when put in 25 watts on channel 2 in Modern mode. The rest of the sounds / mode is not very useful and are not very good. The major problem with the use of this amp is that it is supposed to be used in flat mode 10 watts, but the problem is that way 10 watts sound "modern" is not at all the same as 25 watts: therefore impossible to get the real sound correct to 10 watts. In addition, when the receiver is set to 10 watts (on channel 1 as the Channel 2), there is a strange background noise, as if the amp was poorly constructed. And I assure you that it is not only coming from my amp, because I was trying to correct other mini store and they had all this background noise when they were settled in 10 watts. At 25 watts, it is very powerful, it can play live. But it takes too up the volume to get good sound in an apartment.
- I play modern punk rock and this amp be enough for my style of music, although I think its not quite modern. I always put a tube screamer Maxon OD808 before the amp to obtain a sufficiently bright and accurate sound, this amp is not muddy, undefined, a grain a little too "old", the mute muddy, difficult to play solo . But I play with a Viper ESP and ESP Eclipse (both made in Japan, so upscale) Tube Screamer but it is not worth it, the amp is not worth the price.
- Overall Opinion
- I use since November 2012 with matching cab: 1x12 mesa mini correct slant. Having a Dual Rectifier, I am very happy with the shape of the mini amp, it is very beautiful and practical. I like its simplicity compared to the Dual Rectifier three channels, it goes straight to the point and I think that's what we're looking for in a Rectifier.
It is too powerful for an apartment, ie the volume up too quickly (unlike TH30 from Orange, for example) and mode 10 watts is actually much lower than the 25 watts fashion in terms of sound quality: true the correct channel 2 is 25 watts, and pi is all.
As for the Dual Rectifier, I find her still muddy. Although it is slightly more manageable as more minimalist, but it is heavy on the wrist. Should really Mesa Boogie incorporates their new pedal tube screamer in an additional mode of "Ultra Modern" genre to channel 2, because the use of Rectifier is impossible today without tube screamer.
I acquired an Orange TH30 few months ago and it is much higher than the Mini Rectifier, so it only costs € 750. I do not even use the Mini Rectifier since ...
- Everything has been said in previous reviews!
Having had a single and having a Dual I would have liked it retains the Solo Boost function but I managed it by placing the loop MXR EQ that I used for my Dual and has a boost function volume
- If we know the Front Covers, it rolls right now! Otherwise, the knowledge of the mode of operation of the EQ is essential but can be learned very quickly.
The EQ is more sensitive for me (in my memory) than the single and is identical to the Dual. I wanted a portable amp and less complicated than my Dual that I am using as Clean (channel 1) and Disto (Modern / Channel 3), silicon diode mode / bold and the Mini is in relation to this simple to use (but as I said, I know quite well the Front Covers)
- I play Metal (Thrash and Death few) in config house (solo) and group (snooze twice a week). Well, the band is a bit dead at the moment, but I tested the Mini 5 or 6 times in these conditions. I said that I play on LTD EC1000 Ecplise (EMG60 and 81) and Mesa cabinets Front Covers (2x12 and 4x12).
When I tried the Mini Recto, slap: I found the sounds of my Dual two minutes but twice smaller. The only difference I could see is a slight shift of the low frequency / low mids up the spectrum due I think to 6L6 EL84 compared to generating a little less depth but if I want to, I can find these frequencies with EQ which is in the loop smoothly.
At home, attention, it sends severe and even 10w but of course it is much more usable than the Dual. Group, no problem, I drilled into the mix without worry and maybe even better than my Dual (EL84) and what with the 2x12 or 4x12.
- Overall Opinion
- I love my Dual 25kg but to walk twice a week ..... I was a little tired. I was thinking of buying the Mini to relieve me back but thought alternated with Dual. I was blown away by its similarity with the Dual sound, it is very impressive ... In reality, for the moment, I do not play with the Mini and my Dual rest and I do not know how long it will last but perhaps much longer.
- everything has been said about the technical specifications for general advice is compact and well built, miniaturization pretty much screwed.
- it is fairly easy to use but you must not hesitate to tritouiller the beast on the EQ, the settings are sensitive to each other, it is a two-channel modes with more or less relevant, the clean pushed lack for me for a dynamic crunch and saturation mode "vintage" remains a mystery to me, I do not see too that Mesa wanted to get in this mode there, I prefer by far the most "modern" that most resembles the sound sided base.
- I play in a register more rock / metal / fusion, on paper the mini is ideal, I plug either a 4 * 12 or 1 * 12 v30 after use.
The concern that I was asked this head is especially group play, it's hard pierced the mix in saturation must not hesitate to load in middle and suddenly thundering sound is less a test only tranquillou.
volume therefore you lose precision on large saturation, it quickly becomes mushy, it's a shame because the mini power level is more than sufficient for gaming group.
The clean sound is not bad, it comes out even if the mode "pushed" deserve more dynamic.
- Overall Opinion
- I had different mesa, single, dual and a combo roadster.
The mini is not bad but not playing in the courtyard of dual / triple and roadster.
for me it resembles a single correct with clear sound may be more relevant on the mini but less accurate than the single saturation at high volume.
This is a handy head by its size and weight, but for me it does not reach the resonance and the magnitude of sound big sisters.
So I sold the beautiful but without regrets.
The product is good but I still find it asez expensive, yes it is convenient but not at big heads in standard format (dual 6505 + and others)
- Everything has been said below. I do not think it is very useful to repeat that there is 12AX7 and EL84 ..
If? Ok! All lamps, 2 EL 84, 5 12AX7, 10/25W switchable, 2 modes per channel and there are 2 channels (normal / pushed + vintage / modern)
- EQ treble / mid / bass
- Footswitch included. Yes, it's not like Fender with great field .. From mesa, you offer so you "save" 30 €
I put 9/10 because at that price, they could afford to put a reverb
- 1) The configuration is so easy, as mentioned above, we per channel:
gain, TREB, mid, bass, presence, master. We really can not get any easier
2) Personally, I have not opened the manual so I do not know if it is clear, but in any case it is sufficient.
3) are easily obtained a good sound. Unlike the Mark V and + Express, you do not need to be a great technician amps to get something good, because we can not have all these EQ that we are wasting our time. They remained simple and effective this model: we move the knobs, the sound is really responsive so we sculpt as desired.
- I play a bit of everything and with 4 channels, one has to provide a number of combinations incredible.
The sounds are very clear out the personality of the guitar. I think this is the kind of amp that makes you feel if you scratch a micro rotten or not! Let me explain: on my standard telecaster Mexican (original pickups), it sounds good but it feels a little fishing. A config config DiMarzio EMG and it sounds perfectly.
If you have the opportunity to test this amp, do not do anything with Eagletone! (Or so with the € 1,200 buy you a Telecaster American). I sincerely believe that it takes a minimum guitar "respectable" to bring out the qualities of the amp either clean or saturation.
Anyway, all that to say that the crystalline sound or hot fat or not is up to you and your guitar.
I played this amp on all types of guitars: Vigier supra, Ibanez Prestige RG2550, ESP Eclipse. Never disappointed.
I play mainly on the positions and clean Normal Saturation vintage. With just these two channels you can do anything, just have fun with the gain on the front panel and your volume knob and voila.
The only drawback in my opinion, it is perhaps too big a difference between the normal and clean clean and pushed the saturation and saturation modern vintage. When we pass from one mode to another, you have to turn it down or up because the noise level is very different. Then we like it or not ..
- Overall Opinion
- At first, I did not even bother to test it because I was looking for an amp with a good clean and I had in mind that the correct series amps were amps big rockers only .. Error, really big mistake.
I tested other Mesa boogie:
- TA 30: The cleans are great (the 3 normal and top boost tweed), but I find HiGain channels 1 and 2 HiGain really disgusting, even after 1 hour test store, I really do not understand their interest .. For me it was like playing on a Boss DS1. After this is subjective, but I not loved
- Express 5:25: Cleans very clean, although much less possibility that the Transatlantic 30. Channel 2 offers a lot of clean sounds, so there is something for all tastes. Saturated channel level, it is but it does not offer enough to sustain me.
These two mesa format (head not combo) were a little expensive and much less skilled than the mini rectify ..
At other brands I tried the Marshall JVM: I teach you anything, it is for rock, clean limit is nonexistent.
Two-Rock: Mono channel. Clean the best you'll hear in your life but you have to put good price. From mesa, 25W: 1200 €, In Two Rock, 35W = 2200 €
Rectify the mini is the perfect compromise: it has a very good clean and beautiful saturation that made the reputation of the series correct.
With the same budget, I would do this choice. With the extra money, I would price a Two-Rock
- Good start with the speed specifications:
Metal chassis with retractable handle metal too (and given weight, ergonomic not mind).
Amplification tube Class A / B-84 2xEL 5x12AX7 in power and preamp.
Loop on the rear of the beast with a switch effects loop / true bypass
2 channels each with their own EQ:
Clean channel: switch clean / pushed, gain, treble, middle, bass, presence, master switch 10/25Watts
Disto channel: switch vintage / modern, gain, treble, middle, bass, presence, master switch 10/25Watts
For the rest of the front of the head: input, footswitch, switch canal1/footswitch/canal2, power, standby
Finally, an output and an output 8ohm 4ohm
- Super simple setup. I have not read the manual (always tested about an hour in the store with the other guitarist in my group)
- I left the other guitarist playing a PRS (2 Dual SD) while I worked to adjust the knobs.
Then all of the approaches, the volume difference between clean and distortion (either modern or vintage) Oo was blatant.
But hey it was not necessarily so disturbing for us to spend sounds. Was quickly able to find the sounds that we liked to clean, it's really beautiful even if we feel that this beast wants to scream metal. so we switched to another channel, I personally preferred the switch in vintage 10watts and the sound is really there but has not been able to get exactly what we wanted. Well, yes, even the minimum 10Watts minimum, if such is lowered 1mm knob no longer any sound, it would send the wood. A little too hard to test in a store in rush hour, it said in the short period of time or that it is permissible to shout the sound, we feel that with time and a good place to let go in peace we will have the great sound of mesa.
- Overall Opinion
- This review is not the most interesting point of view sound quality but after all, everyone's ideas about sound. So it seems to me very important, so he has some versatility, I would use good pop-rock, rock, punk, heavy, metal. Yes it is powerful enough to repeat or even make a small concert hall or coffee, and weight it does, why break your back?
The other guitarist swears by a guitarist uses Mesa Dir en Grey, I told him about the head, more affordable and more portable than two. He smiled and told me that it was a gimmick and now during the test, I saw him open his eyes and say "ha yes, anyway!" Ok this is not pe Mesa sound but it is very close to it and in any case we really draw interesting sound and music after only 10 minutes of real test I am stuck with respect to TT, dark terror, signing Jim Root, Ibanez TSA, vox nightrain, H & K TubeMeister ... It has a little more for me is excellent, I play punk rock and hardcore punk hair cell and it is what I was looking for.
The only downside? Ben Oo its price just for that I put a 8! But they did not all circuits of solid gold? I always knew that Mesa must pay the brand but then, I'll be able to save 2 years to tell me that I'm not the irrational madness of the century. That said, if you think about it, there is no reverb but there are two different real channels with a lot of options to really sculpt the ITS, an effects loop, footswitch included, a carrying case and weight really laughable. (I might add as quite personal I love his look). If there are good most of these amps are single channel and around 400-500 euros, so the loop 2 times more often missing I think that it would be worth the trouble ...
- All Tube, 2 channels,
see previous descriptions,
like most of these amps, we must build the knob sounds that we seek,
10w and 25w
- 2 channels, one switchable effects loop,
the manual is available on the mesa site in English,
- clean sounds are superb! surprising on this beast of saturation,
it is not in fender, it's different and very beautiful,
the crunch are downright addictive, it is very U.S., as blizzard
the saturation extraordinary!, pure, cleanly, creamy and singing! he must love the grain mesa, which is my case.
for once this miniaturization is genius, preserve sound this good in a small footprint and reduced power, sacred performance!
resulting in two channels through a versatility that allows virtually cover all the styles: jazz, blues, blues rock, classic rock, metal etc. ...
she loves the Strat that little head, that's good too, it's nirvana!
and plus she likes the naughty micro di marzio home and also those of SD, particularly the high output levels, as is blizzard!
- Overall Opinion
- compared with the transatlantic TA15, although this is not the same register and sound regardless of this, I find that the sound reproduction of minirectifier is at a higher level, the sound is more defined, with more body and character, I have yet plugged into the same cabinet mesa
for once the TA 15 take a little bit of obsolescence, it seems lantern next to the correct, you can have it wiped the plasters?
- Amp 10W or 25W lamp, compact and light, very convenient for those who need to lug around!
2 channels (bright and saturated), each with two modes: bright and crunch and saturated vintage and modern.
An effects loop
Comes with a footswitch and carry case
- The config is super simple: EQ (bass, mid, high), gain, presence and volume. We easily find the sound you're looking, the manual is not necessary!
I would have liked a headphone jack ..
- It is perfect for my style of music is now available on his Mesa apartment!
I mainly play on the overdrive channel, the difference between the position and the position 10W 25W is big enough (normal, you might say) can avoiner smoothly with 10W but with 25 it is squarely down the walls! However, even at the lowest position 25W volume is still too high to play in the apartment while I get to play at a very low volume with my ENGL 50W lamp.
I play on a Lag Arkane Master in saturated is that of happiness and its clear the middle pickup (single coil SD) foil is at will! I also play on a Gibson SG equipped with P90, the saturated mode vintage shows very well with this guitar and the clean sound is warm and deep.
- Overall Opinion
- I use it for a month I'm in love!
The price is quite high, € 1200 and € 500 head that goes with the baffle, € 1700 is already a nice amount, but given the build quality, the very practical side (light and playable in an apartment) and its really great, I find that the value for money is very honorable!
I've tested a lot of amps and Mesa Boogie grain is my preference, then it's matter of taste!
- tube amp: 2xEL84 5x12ax7 for power for the preamp, transistor rectifer no 5U4 to this model, to correct a nerd it's still ... it's like a pizza without ham Queen P
2 channels + 4 modes: clean with a switch Clean / Crunch, a drive switch with Vintage / Modern
A switch 10/25 Watt per channel: one can switch the drive on 10/25 and so is the clean, flat in the fact that serious
Adjusting 3-band (treble, middle, bass) + presence on each channel
Loop on the rear facade and not
No reverb ... considering the price is too loose the
- used with his cabinet that goes well with the mini front 1x12 Celestion V30 with cutaway
- Clean the lack of presence is transparent it looks like a clean limit to the driving transistor presence we come to get something but it's not what I like most, what blah ...
The crunch is not bad, there's the body but it lacks the grain may be too comes in for some cons by when it must switch mounted on the clean channel gain, shame ...
The drive in vintage Mmmmmh bah I know not what they wanted to do on this one is not vintage at all ... it is rather messed it seems ...
The drive in modern, oh yes ok there we agree that's why we take Mesa is purely pleasurable, a dynamic sick, it's clean right one recognizes immediately the grain and know -do from home, the sellers will often make it there before the other channel is really smart ...
- Overall Opinion
- For me there is that the modern drive channel that is worth seeing, the rest is pretty average
to 1190 € + 510 € the head body = € 1,700 for a small part in 2 Mesa Rectifier, Mesa Rectifier Roadster combo is 112 to 2500 € with four independent channels controlled at the foot of 50 Watt, in retrospect I wonder s it was better not to take the saved true, because in the end the price was the result print mini with a max Knacki ... (No reverb, rectification transistor, not pass mode crunch, cover made in china, wrist shit ...)
For the next shot I'm going on the side of ENGL