Gibson SG Special (1964)
Gibson SG Special (1964)

SG Special (1964), SG-Shaped Guitar from Gibson in the SG series.

• Increase or decrease font size
tuckart 08/01/2017

Gibson SG Special (1964) : tuckart's user review

"My 1964 red, Gibson SG is one of my all time favorites. It was my first, new guitar purchase."

• +1
  • Mail
Value For Money : Correct Audience: Anyone
I didn't give a new price for this guitar because it has been fifty-two years since I plucked it off the wall of a Dallas music store. I don't remember what I had for breakfast. I do remember that I loved everything about my SG, with one exception. It was a little neck heavy. I had been playing a used Teisco Delray that I bought from a shipmate, while in the service. The Gibson was a big step up. Fortunately for me the set up was done for me at the store.

At the time, 1965, I was playing covers with friends. We had a Silvertone amp, a trap set and a beat up, Guild 12 string. My new SG was the class gear. We were playing mostly do-wop, Dylan and the Byrds and we had jumped on the Beatles bandwagon with everyone else. We sharpened our chops doing awful covers. By the time I discovered Cream, Hendrix, Jeff Beck and other musicians that appealed to me, That Gibson SG Standard served me faithfully as my skills increased. It is another instrument that I regret selling.