Yamaha ERG121
Yamaha ERG121

STC-Shaped Guitar

User Reviews: 4.222

All user reviews for the Yamaha ERG121

Average Score: 4.2 ( 4.2/5 based on 22 reviews )
  13 reviews 59 %
  4 reviews 18 %
  3 reviews 14 %
  1 user review 5 %
  1 user review 5 %
Target: Beginners Value For Money: Excellent
MGR/Alexei 11/23/2010

MGR/Alexei's review "Yamaha ERG 121"

i'd knew this gear for long time but i never thought i would have it as my second electric guitar. i left world of electric for 2 years and played Acoustic for that long.
i know what a good guitar means. and this guitar could be called so so

Well i got this Guitar second hand from a local dealer. no amp or bag included.
but price was freaky good. 120 $
i was short in money and in this price this guitar matched greatly.

well the quality of body is fine. neck and frets look good. its a good guitar for a beginner. worths more than what it seems. specially smoothness of frets which wont make the newbies get tired of this guitar.

sound of this guitar is not what it gotta be.
Fret's steel are too high so you can not low the action too much. this is general problem of all cheap guitars. so you stat between a high action or a noisy sound out of fretboard.
you can modify the guitar frets which makes your guitar your soul bound means you cant sell it after that.

body quality is higher than similar guitars in this class. fretboard is a decent Rosewood. pickups are not good at all.

this is a good guitar for people with no money. but i recommend to buy a standard Fender for 400 $ instead. if you don't have that much. this one is a good one for beginning.

MGR/Phillitalian 01/14/2007

MGR/Phillitalian's review "Yamaha ERG 121C"

Ive been playing guitar for maybe 4-5 months, but thats on my own time which is basically all the time when im home. When im at school i play the euphonium (you-fone-ee-umm) which is like a small tuba =P. I dont know why i chose it, but i think it has to do with me wanting to sit in the back of the class. Anyways to my guitar. I picked up my erg 121c for 250 bucks canadian(130 pounds,194 euro) at costco. Came with 16 watt amp, strap, picks, extra strings, gig bag... basically all a beginner needs.

I got this guitar for 250 bucks at costco. Came with 16 watt amp,strap, gig bag, picks and everything you need for a beginner guitar.

Basically everything. Rosewood neck,strat-style solid body, 2 humbucker and 1 single coil pickup, 1 tone and 1 volume control, 5 pickup selector switch, stays in tune very nicely, comes with a tremolo/whammy bar, pretty light and its black.

Maybe the only thing i dont like about thus guitar is the paint is maybe 2.5-3mm thick and i chipped it in the first few weeks, but i think that might have been my fault because i dropped it...(Whoops)

i pretty much already described it

I love this guitar mainly because its my first, feels beautiful and overall is a perfect beginner guitar. Any other questions? just ask Phillitalian@hotmail.com

MGR/Dan Youd 04/17/2006

MGR/Dan Youd's review "Yamaha ERG 121C"

I bought this guitar as my first ever guitar from Woolworths for only £150 with a GA-10 Practice AMP, Audio Lead and Gig Bag. I think it is an excellent price for a beginner/entry level guitar though I would advise getting it from somewhere else as it took over a month for them to send it.

I like almost everything about this guitar specialy for the price I payed. Its a strat style guitar with a solid maple body. The colour of the body is fully black which in my opinion is a great colour for a guitar. It has 2 humbucker pickups and 1 single coil pickup which in my opinion is excellent as I have used a Fender Squire with 3 single coils and another guitar with 2 humbuckers and to me the pickup setup on this guitar beat both of them easy and made much heavyer sounds than the other two guitars. The guitar is also very easy to tune and stays in tune for quite long which is great.

The Low E string on this guitar does have a bit of fretbuzz which can b anoying but I'm sure I could get it sorted out. One thing that can get anoying with it being totaly black is that it marks very easy and you only have to look at it to get a finger print on it but that doesnt bother me to much. Other than that id say that theres nothing really bad about it.

I have had the guitar for about 8 months now and nothing has broke on it yet. It is very solid and well built as can be expected by a make like Yamaha and is deffinately the best quality you could get for £150.

On the whole this guitar is excellent and you would have a hard time finding a beginner or entry level guitar that is as good quality as this for a price as good as this.

MGR/Anonymous 07/26/2005

MGR/Anonymous's review "Yamaha ERG 121 C"

i bought it online for about 130 euros including cable and picks, and i bought the strap and amp. after that

i like that it sounds great, cool design, and easy to play as it's not heavy, i mean there are much lighter but i think that's the best guitar you can get at such low price, it has everything u need and u dont have to pay a lot:)

mmm... dunno, maybe .... no i really can't find anything wrong with it, way to go Yamaha :D

ok, it's solid body electric guitar with a rosewood fretboeard with 22 frets, 2 humbuckers and one single coil, 1 volume, 1 tone switch, and a tremolo.

as i said b4, that's the best guitar u can get for this price, ok, buy it first and when u're JOE SATRIANI, start looking for another "pro." guitar :)

MGR/cowboy_2612 02/05/2005

MGR/cowboy_2612's review "Yamaha ERG 121"

I bought this guitar in Germany for Eur180.00 in Feb 2005. I chose it because it was a very good price for a Yamaha, which also came with a 10w practice amp so I could just unwrap it, plug it in and play.

Aside of the excellent price, it has all the features you need such as, 22 frets, 2 humbuckers and a single coil in the middle, a 5 way switch, volume knob and 1 tone knob, which works for all pickups. a tremelo arm, black, high quality, finish and a Yamaha 10w practice amp.

the Single coil pickup is bad. It generates a lot of interference and I could not use it for this reason. This limits the amount of sounds you can set up. As a practice guitar, it shouldn't matter too much because those early days should be about technique and not playing about with the tones too much. You can always replace the coil if it matters that much, or just buy a new guitar.

The build quality is extremely good, I was surprised to learn that it was made in Indonesia. The initial setup is also very good, a beginner will not need to worry about setting up the bridge and changing the action until they have learnt how to play.

Once plugged in. The humbuckers allow you to really knock out some fat sounds. The single coil though generates a lot of interference and is the only bad point I have.

This is an excellent guitar for beginners or home practice. Yamaha have set a standard here that other makers should follow, by lowering the price of their much more inferior instruments. The sound is exactly what you want, with the exception of the single coil pickup. I would recommend it to anyone looking to buy a cheap guitar. In fact, I looked around and there is no other guitar on the market that is as high a quality as this one. The Yamaha ERG 121 is the best instrument for your money. If you are reading this because you are shopping around for a budget guitar, buy this one, you cannot get a better deal at this time.

MGR/Snakepit 10/30/2004

MGR/Snakepit's review "Yamaha ERG 121"

it was about 250 USD. i got it from a music store in bulgaria.

it's is a superb guitar for the price i got it.

i dont like when the singlecoil pickup goes through some effects, it is too noisy. but the humbs are perfect

it has a solid body but it's not too heavy. the guitar has 2 humbs and a sigle in the middle. 22 frets and it's black covered. also it has a tremolo.

the guitar is perfect for studying and practicing but sound pretty good on concerts. enjoy:)

MGR/Eugene Rowe 10/21/2004

MGR/Eugene Rowe's review "Yamaha ERG-121C"

I bought this guitar from a local dealer for €280.This included a 10 watt amp with strap, picks, cable.... the works! I bought this guitar because it was a cheap entry level guitar and I only had a few months experience.

It is a Strat style guitar which is very comfortable to play.I had this guitar for over a year now and i had no trouble with it at all. Great sound with two humbuckers and a single coil pickup. Looks great in black too!

Nothing at all.

Very good weight which I always look for in a guitar. Strong neck and strong body with tough paint work. Stays in tune for a hell of a long time!

Great guitar even it is a cheap entry level guitar.Great playability along with sharp looks. This guitar will be given to someone in my will!

MGR/Another Teenage Rocker 07/21/2004

MGR/Another Teenage Rocker's review "Yamaha ERG 121"

I bought this guitar for £170 in a starter pack (with a 10 watt amp, gig bag, strap etc.) from Argos because they were kind enough to get it out of the box and let me play it before the purchase. God it sounded good!

Although I love everything about this guitar, my favourite thing would have to be it's versatility. It comes with two open coil humbuckers with a single coil pickup in between. The 5-way selector switch can split the humbuckers, enabling me to change from B.B King to Rolling Stones without grabbing a different guitar. The humbuckers are also punchier than punch and my guitar gives a much more powerful sound than my brother's squier strat in my opinion.

Ummm..... It didn't come with a bigger amp?

I've had this guitar for 2 years and not once have I ever had a problem with it. Admittedley although I've never dropped or knocked it either, it at least proves that nothing has broken on it's own accord. And whilst I am by no means a guitar technician, the fact that it stays in tune for ages, has an ultra-smooth neck and tremolo and feels completley solid must be good things, right?

I could not have possibly asked for a better first guitar. I will surely never sell or trade it even when the time comes for me to buy my next one. Though I think it looks sleek, I can understand remarks that without a sratchplate and being completley black it looks a bit plain. So make sure you get a good look at one before you buy.

MGR/Jaytrixer 09/04/2003

MGR/Jaytrixer's review "Yamaha ERG 121"

This was my first guitar, I got it at a christmas as part of a starter set which cost £200 (english)

It's simple, one control for the volume, one for the tone. It has a 5 way switch blade for the pickups:

Neck
Neck/Middle
Middle
Bridge/Middle
Bridge

It can produce a nice sound if you learn to work around the bad points of the guitar.

The fret wire is a tad too high up around the higher frets and it makes a bit of a buzzy sound. The bridge tears your hand to pieces when you try and palm mute and because the fret wire is so high up around the higher frets pulling off is a real bitch around there.

It has 22 frets and dot inlays. Chrome hardware. It has two controls, main volume and main tone. Five way pickup selector blade.

Pickup arrangement:

Neck humbucker
Single pickup
Bridge humbucker

It's a good guitar really for anyone learning to play but it's not really a life time thing, you'll outgrow it. But it's not bad to start making your own riffs on and things.

MGR/ymaha erg 121 never buy it 06/19/2003

MGR/ymaha erg 121 never buy it's review "Yamaha ERG 121"

i bougt it in greece in nakas stores for 290 euros

nothing

everything. the hole unit is cheply manufactured. the wood is not worth nor for burning it. magnets: they suck. it sounds like when you do gas.

the worst i have ever seen and played in my 35 years of guitar playng