Grass Roots GMX-48 James Hetfield 95' user reviews
If you are not satisfied by the reviews below, feel free to request a user review for this product
User reviews in other languages
- In which country was it made? do not know
How many frets, what kind of microphone and their configuration?
22 frets, two humbuckers
What type of bridge (Floyd, Wilkinson ...)?
tube-o-matic, as in Gibson
What are the settings (volume, tone, micro switch ...)?
Yeah, all that
What kind of stick?
- The handle is it nice?
but must fight valiant heart, nothing is impossible.
However, mine had a small problem with a band (the first starting from the head) which was slightly peeled and wedged the 6th string sometimes (like in concert, just when I pass in the clear for a few arpeggios: shame!). Long repaired.
Access to acute (recent freight) is it easy?
Ergonomics is it good (in terms of shape, weight ...)?
Beside a Les Paul Custom is a featherweight. Otherwise, the ergonomics are good
- Are they suitable for your style of music?
At the time (95-96) and according to my ability, perfectly
With what (s) amplifier (s) or effect (s) you're playing?
Also at the time: Peavey Bandit 112S & Zoom 9050
What kind of sound you get and with what settings ("crystalline", "bold", ....)?
Big, fat, saturated fat, heavy metal: it was the purpose
What are the sounds you prefer?
Big, fat, saturated fat, heavy metal. Good, clear, this is not his thing
- Overall Opinion
- How long have you use it?
95-96 really know: long. In fact, to be honest, I do not use more too. At the time (the old rambling) to the industrial metal, with the little money I had, I liked outright. Now I have other ways & other guitars. But I keep it by sentimentality and nostalgia because I screwed him a MIDI sensor on the table, then resell for a pittance, I do not see the point. And then, as said Jack White, whatever the guitar! (No, just kidding there)
What is the particular feature you like best and least?
The form for more. The text: good, it's not high-end, for sure.
But it is the way to start.
Have you tried many other models before buying it?
How would you rate the quality / price?
more honest though I do not remember the exact price 95 ... Uh, 2,000 francs??
With experience, you do again this choice? ...
I did not have at the time (and no different!) Then yes ... Uh, no ... If! Oh, I know more.
PS: You can find my useless opinion, I do not vexerai me
- Tailpiece stop bar / Tune-O-Matic
Mechanical oil bath
Bolt with heel profile,
Two passive pickups with covers Black Grass Roots (look how EMG)
A toggle switch and two volume knobs.
- The entire guitar is covered with a thick black paint coated, not especially pleasant to the touch at the neck, but nothing rhédibitoire either.
The guitar is very heavy, but relatively balanced, with no major problems of ergonomics. The handle is round (normal for a guitar inspired by the Explorer ...) and comfortable if we except the lacquer.
For cons, the overall quality of the violin is pretty disastrous.
Some models have flaws absolutely staggering, and it is closer to carpentry as the violin.
The wood seems really bad, the guitar does not absolutely vibrant.
- Sound levels, microphones and a potato surprisingly unexpected precision. This is clearly not duy upscale, but it sounds. on the other hand, it's still cold enough and clearly dedicated to the metal.
The sustain is very average (despite the massive proportion of the guitar) and there are problems with accuracy (due to a shrinking rough?)
In short, for the metal to Hetfield rhythm, it does pretty good.
- Overall Opinion
- This guitar belongs to a friend, and I often had the opportunity to play it.
This is a big fan of Hetfield, he therefore wanted to have fun with this guitar with the look can not leave indifferent.
Only problem: this guitar is very bad in the end, finished with an ax with a violin under more of a toy supermarket as a musical instrument.
For the record, he had ordered this guitar in VPC. The one he received was unplayable as the handle is misaligned! A lag of several degrees. The rope was acute far outside of the handle from the 10th box.
So he sent the guitar to an exchange, but the second he had still received large defects, including a veiled touches that made the game not beyond the 16th box. As a pure rhythmician, he still kept the guitar ...
That's at least the guitars that I would not advise my worst enemy.
- Asian manufacturing
neck 22 frets, 2 passive humbuckers, controlled by a toggle switch 3 position type Gibson
bridge and stop bar tailpiece type Gibson, a mechanical oil bath
the handle has a profile rather round and is painted black, like all elements of this guitar, black black black.
- The handle is quite round, so budding shredders, go your way, rhythmist welcome you, this guitar is for you, this is not the signature Hetfield for nothing ...
access to treble is good, but again, even if it can do, I do not at all the positions in a register soloist
Ergonomics is good, weight is average (not a Les Paul), the form might suggest that the game would be sitting a hell, this is not the case, and it is rather well balanced.
- This guitar is well suited to my current musical style, and I played on a Crate amp 120w 2 Flexwave body, and it pops out, simply
for sound, the violin is well made, but the pickups were changed by EMG, 81 and 85 (I know it's not the "real" combination, a 60 would be more in tune, but I prefer 85 to 60.) therefore refer to multiple tests of EMG on the subject.
- Overall Opinion
- I have a curious history with my GMX48, because its output, I literally broke down in front of this black beauty, and I was even going every Saturday afternoon to play with my reseller (who would saturate me see his home and never buy anything from him ... the poor), until one day curse (yes, yes, even 14 years is almost the end of the world ...) or a buyer has set his sights on it and that I did never seen since.
I looked up one of his sisters for a long time without success, and then one day, tired of looking I found myself in the head of my photos on the remake, so I remade a GMX484/MX250 and once the guitar almost finished, when I went in a barter shop in my area, I came face to face with it, "the" GMX48, the store in question does not have this model (they are based on the ratings of the big sites argus Internet sales) they have 150 euros la Brad ... I did not wait long before taking it and, surprise, my dealer sticker was still stuck behind the head, so it was good of "my "GMX48, on which I played 13 years ago, I contacted my dealer for the occasion, and he assured me he had sold a single copy of this model because no obvious to procure at that time ... The ultimate luck ...
with experience, I think I already buy from this guitar 13 years ago, so its look gives me chills.
this guitar is a collector at the present time because the shape, although it is slightly more angular than the original exploration, is protected by a patent owned by Gibson, so ESP / Grass Roots has been forced (or made the lead, your choice) to abandon this form for another sharper still, but not to my taste with the added charm of this version, I named the "EX" (weep?)
- Made in korea good finish
2 humbuckers (with shit!) Replaced with EMG 81-81 set and there my friends ... is not the same music!
Tone pro bridge
2 volume knobs and 1 tone + 3-position switch
Bolt 4 points (sustain less important than glued or through but still very good)
- The handle is very nice relatively thin type ESP eclipse.
Access to the acute problem-free ... and yes it surprises!
the guitar is lightweight basswood body is much lighter than mahogany. The shape is very ergonomic seated upright as well, benefit, and not least the guitar does not sting the nose and stays perfectly in place.
As I said above it has a 81-81 set not need to explain his side ... I bought this as the former owner told me that the original microphones were the m. ..
- It is suitable for all types of music (funk refrain) but hey when you buy this kind of gear we know why it is intended: THE ROCK!
Personal I use a Marshall Valvestate 8080 and a Boss distortion: very good sound nothing to say, you can really have fun.
its got: a wide range depending on the configuration settings.
his favorite: The saturation of course this guitar is made for!
- Overall Opinion
- I have only been a short time about one month, a product is not expensive but hard to find (no more grass roots and ESP no longer makes this form since his trial by Gibson).
James Hetfield fan of this particular form and that's what cracked me on the shovel.
I've always had that the pauls (Truckster, a Gibson Epiphone Studio) so it changes a little.
The value for money is good because it's a guitar that will probably never again.
I do it again this choice is a good instrument.
- It is a global opinion!
- Overall Opinion
I purchased this guitar about 5 months ago, I had bought for unwinding and finally I will keep a long time trs.
N'tant personally not a fan of EMG pickups (micro Any asset for that matter) I have long hesitated to buy it but I've finally taken to its shape and great condition for a guitar of 10/11 years.
I played with until the Lag Rockline Hardmaster a priori wide best quality and when I tried the Grass Roots in BPS for the first time, I compared the two, and DSOL but there was not really his photo.Qualit, grain, color balance precision, short for me was better.
Dej I was not one to purchase equipment whose reputation is overrated (Supposedly for a brand, a precise MODEL, a country of manufacture, such as type of wood or just a fad), but the I confirm that it is not necessarily what is good CHRE, manufactured in any country, with a particular wood etc etc. (I'll cotrefout the country of manufacture, I had two real guitars made in United States, one made in France but it was for me to stew in the pure light of disbursements for the price to have!)
Never dnigrer such instrument or anything else for that matter, it does not follow the cliché of good materiel.Ce is good is good, and this regardless of the brand The MODEL, year and all that follows.
... It is not perfect but it's a guitar trs trs honnte and I .... pai 300!
PS - 81 The EMG will delight him!
- - Made in Korea, Grassroots models are entry-level models in ESP before LTD.
- Sample entry-level home (ESP model named EXP) with the original form of the Explorer in Gisbon (ESP that has changed EX along the form, following the trial against Gibson ESP for plagiarism) = > ESP in rare form, as longer manufactured.
- 22 jumbo frets, original ESP Micro replaced by two Humbuckers: an EMG-60 and EMG-81 (more in the actual config).
- Bridge TonePros tailpiece + Stop Tailpiece.
- - Handle large lacquered for heavy rhythm (no finesse!).
- Access to easy high notes, but not really used (always the same finding: rhythm guitar).
- The guitar is held well in hand, once tethered, past the turn of the sudden you can play the sound very heavy, It can also play sitting (even if its form is unorthodox).
- The sound that you can get this kind of guitar is in one register in which it excels, although the clean sounds are not unpleasant. Micros The origins are not too early anyway.
- - Style of music: Metal. This guitar is cut out for it.
- Played on my Mesa Rectifier Solo Corps with H & K.
- Drive sound heavy, fatty and deep (sounds clear round).
- For microphones to change the sound (eréellement is the only flaw of this guitar).
- The sounds that I use with this guitar I like them all (I must say that I will not try to ask him to play reggae either :-).
- Overall Opinion
- - I own this guitar for 6 or 7 years (I reminds me exactly), I am the first prorpiétaire of this instrument.
- What I love most is its form, the least being its original pickups (but that will change again).
- By the time I bought it, I wanted the guitar of James Hetfield, and this series was not expensive at all. This now well over time as I do not regret my choice, this guitar has not moved an inch in the woods and the setting of the handle.
- The quality / price ratio? since the time I use it the best I've ever had an instrument!
- A back (because now it's impossible to find a aujoud'hui), yes, I do it again the same choice again.
I wanted to post a small review for this guiatre because since I have on Audiofanzine there ever was, which is now fixed!
good first time it is a guitar made in Japan I think. It's a 22 frets with two double microphones (3 positions for the selector).
The bridge is fixed (as on the Les Paul). There is a volume and tone as a variable settings.
The handle is screwed and thick enough.
- The handle is big enough, not great for the solos, but effective for rhythm! It is enjoyable to play.
Access to acute is not that bad, since we are dealing here with a rhythm guitar mainly, access to acute is still possible;)
The ergonomics are great in terms of form, exploring is a guitar that has a face! on the other hand, and here is his major weakness: it weighs a ton! lol At least if sometimes it seems to play a guitar made of cardboard, then, the vertebrae will recall when we play with .. ;) Its ergonomics is also rather unusual for the game sitting, having said that, with the look it is a shame to play sitting ..
The sound is pretty good in terms of rendering the original pickups. I admit I was surprised at the result.
- It is aimed primarily at fans of the great metalheads James Hetfield, she turned to many metal and hardcore in general.
I used it with our good old marshall (80W, 2x 65W ..) and the Metal Zone (Boss).
I admit I got a good big sound, very terrible (and holding the volume, which is very convenient in concert) that hangs well micro acute position, and the clear sound is warm and well made as the microphone position severe (handle).
The overdrive sound is my favorite among all the tests I could do, It always comes back to the same thing: this guitar was designed to play the heavy, not jazz.
- Overall Opinion
- I use it since January 96.
The special feature I like is without doubt its form, and that I like least: its versatility (it does not progress in terms of solidarity with the explorer, it's pure rhythm)
I bought it right out, being a big fan of Metallica, and especially to James, it was essential to me.
The price / quality ratio (current) is good because it is a sturdy guitar, which of the mouth, and of sufficient quality for cheap.
With hindsight and experience, I think I would do the same choice indeed.