or
Create an account

or

Thread Popping & Crackling Problems

• 5 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Popping & Crackling Problems
Hi. I don't know if this is a sound card problem. Here's the situation: I record myself into Midi with a sequencer (Cakewalk), while playing back an audio file (Mp3, or Wav.). I'm practicing my jazz solos, so this is a great way to hear how I'm doing, by listening to the composite recording when it's finished; besides, it's nice to play along with the likes of Miles Davis.

So, basically, whenever I have my keyboard ON, I hear popping and crackling sounds from my speakers, whenever I play audio. If I disconnect the USB interface, the noises disappear, but I need the connectilon to record myself.

I have a Dell, 500 Mhz, a Yamaha P-60, 88-key piano keyboard, a Creative Sound Blaster Audigyy 2 sound card, and a Midisport Uni interface. The midi works find, plays back no problem. It's the audio.

If I had a better sound card, such as Power Tools, for example, would it help? Or is it my computer? Too slow? Or something else? Someone told me it might be the bit-rate, but I don't think so and I don't know how you could address that problem anyway.

Really would like to hear from anyone who may have experienced the same problem, or might have some suggestions.

Thanks!
:)
MJL54
Hi.
I had this problem. It was old audio drivers.
You should try and get updated audio drivers for the sound card.

peace! :)

%1$s a écrit I record myself into Midi with a sequencer (Cakewalk)

I hope you mean cakewalk and not sonar...

Audigy 2 has some serious latency issues when it comes to recording and monitoring, its just a glorified gamers card.
like moonz says, consider getting a better soundcard.
Thanks. I did set the sampling rate to 44.1, 16-bit, but that didn't seem to help. I haven't fooled with the buffer so I'll check that out. Another suggestion someone made was that the MidiSport Uno USB device is not always compatible with the Yamaha line. Don't know about that.

MJL 54
:(
Thanks for the heads-up. I'm not sure where you can set the buffer size in the sound card. I've checked all the possibilities and I can't find it. I went through the Device Manager, and checked the properties - nothing there. Nothing in the Creative Control panel, either. Only thing is the sample rate which you can set to either 48 or 96 Mhz.

MJL 54

%1$s a écrit

Quote: Audigy 2 has some serious latency issues when it comes to recording and monitoring, its just a glorified gamers card. like moonz says, consider getting a better soundcard.

That's the best news yet. Now I've heard from at least 3 different sources that I should invest in a better sound card. I knew Sound Blaster wasn't the geeaterst, but since I've only used it so far to record my midi input, I didn't realize the problems until I started recording with audio. I think that eliminates a lot of questions I had.

Thanks very much.

MJL 54

:cool: