or
Create an account

or

Thread Balancing Unbalanced Soundcards??

• 3 replies
  • 3 participants
  • 0 follower
1 Balancing Unbalanced Soundcards??
Is it possible to balance an unbalanced stereo soundcar to make it balanced mono?
I think this would be theoretically possible as i assume the computer could at a software level take the signal to be not the value of one channel against ground but the value of L against ground against R against Ground (ie the PD btween each line send gives one audio channel, rather than two from each sends PD from the ground wire.
Any ideas?? James
go-on- someone must know! :-P
I will check with my engineering friends but the short answer is "no"... Balancing an audio signal is not a software function, it's electrical.. You would need to rebuild your sound card from the ground up to balance it.. There is also a considerable difference in level between balanced +4dbu and unbalanced -10dbU. Save your time, and just get a balanced card if you need one.... Keep in mind that going balanced will also mean more expensive equipment....poux 8)
hello,
working with an unbalanced system is not too bad.the lenght of your cables should be limited at 6 meters or 3.5 yards aprox.
Longer ones will give hum and noise, degradation of signals and everything consists of energy will cause noise.
So stay within 6 meters and you can work.
the soundcard should be balanced and can work with unbalanced cables and 6.3 jacks also unbalanced.
regards
chris pax