or
Create an account

or

Thread I want to record 8 tracks at one time-question.

• 2 replies
  • 2 participants
  • 2 followers
1 I want to record 8 tracks at one time-question.
I am very new to recording and want to record 8 tracks at one time using mics on my acoustic drums. I was recently told that usb 2.0 is not capable of doing what I want to do. I don't understand why they make usb 2.0 interfaces with 8+ inputs then. I am purchasing this pc -
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9446779

and would like to know if I can buy a usb 2.0 interface that can be used to record 8 tracks at one time(if this is possible)- for it since it doesnt have firewire from what I read on the specs. Would installing a firewire card and then buying a firewire interface be the better way to go? If firewire is what you suggest what do you think about the Presonus FP10 10x10 firewire interface? I am just trying to figure out the best way to go to record 8 tracks at once using the above PC with Sonar home studio. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give me.
USB2 is perfecly able to record 8 tracks at a time. For instance : Line6 Toneport UX8.

However, a standard VISTA pc might find it hard to cope with multi-tracks if you have many background running tasks such as anti virus, java, msn and all kind of tasks that are wasting CPU cycles and troughput.
You will most likely have to setup a special userid dedicated to audio processing where most tasks are disabled.
Thanks appreciate the help! :bravo: