Create an account

or

Thread Help me search my ideal audio interface

• 5 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 Help me search my ideal audio interface
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if you could help me find my ideal audio interface. I am looking for an audio interface that is compact (size of RME Babyface, Apogee Duet, or something similar), has at least two analogue I/O (for Mic, guitar, headphone), has at least one MIDI I/O, and connects to computer via Thunderbolt (because I am using macbook pro and USBs are occupied with external hard drive and bluetooth mouse).

I guess I could get Babyface and just buy USB hub along but my ideal is to make it as compact as possible.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Alden
I would recommend the Universal Audio Apollo Twin. It's not as small as the Babyface or Duet, but it's pretty compact. It sounds great, and gives you access to the world of UAD-2 plug-ins.
+1 on the Apollo Twin. Fantastic interface, if you have the money.

Otherwise I would get the babyface or duet, as they're all great choices. If the main issue is needing a thunderbolt wire, there are many adapters available.

I, myself, have a firewire interface with a firewire to thunderbolt adapter for when I'm on my macbook air
Quote:
+1 on the Apollo Twin. Fantastic interface, if you have the money.

The Apollo Twin isn't significantly more expensive than the Duet ($649) or Babyface ($749). The Twin comes in two models, the Solo ($699), and the Duo ($899). The difference them how much DSP you'll have for running UAD-2 plug-ins. Both come with a bundle of plug-ins.

So it really comes down to which one best meets your needs. Bear in mind that If you use a Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter, you won't get the same performance as with an actual Thunderbolt interface like the Twin. The best you can do with an adapter is the max bandwidth of FireWire 800. Thunderbolt performance is much better, and the latency generally a lot lower. For more details on Thunderbolt, read this article: https://en.audiofanzine.com/homestudio/editorial/articles/should-you-bolt-to-thunderbolt.html.
Hello!..Recently i bought my new audio interface Audient Id14 and i did a short review..Hope you like it!
You wont regret it..Much better than focusrite scarlett!

[ Post last edited on 06/29/2015 at 08:34:34 ]

Quote:
Recently i bought my new audio interface Audient Id14 and i did a short review.

Thanks for the video review!