or
Create an account

or
Enlarge
Audio Interfaces
External Audio Interfaces

Thread Ideal interface for recording live drums and entire band?

• 3 replies
  • 4 participants
  • 4 followers
1 Ideal interface for recording live drums and entire band?
Hello, first time posting on AudioFanzine. I'm looking for help selecting an interface that's good enough and has enough inputs to properly record an entire band. So far, I've seen the Tascam US-1800 and Behringer FCA1616 among other things.

Do any of you have experience with these in a band-recording environment? Any advice or other interface you would recommend? Thanks.
It depends on your budget obviously. Since you mentioned you're considering behringer, I presume affordability is of special importance to you. In that case, get a Focusrite Scarlett 18i20.

But if you had the money and wanted a truly amazing interface with more than 8 inputs and high quality mic pres, go with the Antelope Zen Studio.
The Tascam isn't a bad idea, but you get what you pay for in audio. Cymbals can be harsh, your snare can be robotic, kick drums with no substance, etc, but it'll get the job done.

The focusrite scarlett 18i20 as well as the roland octa-capture are much better alternatives, that provide a more transparent sound while still being affordable. The Presonus 1818 is also great, but I'd take the Focusrite or the Roland (which is what I have, and it's amazing).

A big part of your results will come from your room/sudio's acoustics. Poor acoustics in a room will end up with a poor recording, regardless of how expensive and shiny your interface is. Your microphones also play a huge role.

My point is, you can't just get a cheap but good interface and call it a day. You have to budget for quality mics and acoustics as well (among other things), which in today's day and age, is very much feasible to do so while still staying under budget. That's why the sm57 and sm58 are so legendary. So try and save up till you can get the focusrite, a nice mic, and room setup, then you should be ready to bring your level up a notch. Good luck

Quote:
My point is, you can't just get a cheap but good interface and call it a day. You have to budget for quality mics and acoustics as well (among other things)

Excellent point, I agree totally.