Marshall PB100 Power Brake user reviews
1 people found this review helpful
- Overall Opinion
If you own a powerful amp, you know it is difficult to operate in a small space. When the tube amp is impossible to saturate the power tubes and thus to enjoy their beautiful natural saturation.
- Put a volume pedal in effects loop? Ineffective because it amounts to a volume knob replaced by another, so it will not saturate the lamps.
- To ask a converter lamps to replace the 6L6, EL34 and KT88 by other less powerful lamps (6V6, EL84 ...). Yes, but the sound is more than the original. In the same kind can be a switch to pentode / triode or change the speaker to a less sensitive (close to 90 dB). Again the transformation completely changes your amp and the back is laborious.
The brake power is a power attenuator that sits between the power amp and HP. It works like a big resistor that dissipates a part of the power of the amp as heat. The HP receives less power = less volume.
Easy to install and remove (it's like an external pedal) this system is very efficient and reduces the power of the amp to the request.
How come this? a large box of over 4 kg (still) that is connected to the output of the amp and HP (with HP cables! if not by modifying the output impedance!). 1 input, 2 speaker outputs, a switch to choisr the output impedance (8 or 16 Ohms) and finally a button on the front to reduce the power output of the amplifier up to 30dB of loss of volume, in increments of 3 dB. Reminder: -3 dB = power divided by 2 = -10 dB volume halved. No external power required. An internal fan is automatically activated in case of overheating (never managed to heat at this point!).
- You lose the saturation of HP because they are less stressed. But it is a lesser evil compared to other solutions.
- The lamps have a shortened lifespan, but the wear is normal: at equal volume, they are most stressed, what logic you use the unit to a higher power!
- The sound is probably a little color, like everything that is connected to the amp: cables, effects pedals, ... But nothing really mutilate (it's not a vintage wah!) Me that does not shock me really, the sound is enough and what is actually respected by the PowerBrake compared to the reduction of stress on the HP?
- The price: more than 400 euros is very expensive for a large resistance. A book is already a very high-end amplifier tube. Bugera on all lamps, for example (which is cheap for the technology) the additional 400 euros to be balanced with the purchase of an amp higher-end. On a big Mesa Boogie or a big-Rivera, the question is less.
Reduction system effective power, its friendly, easy to use and install. As against expensive, therefore reserved for a small class of high-end amp. Hence the 8 / 10 because it is not really accessible to all.N / AN / AN / A
1 people did not find this review helpful
- Overall Opinion
- Features (7 / 10)
Go, once again home shopping ... What is it??
The only product Marshall useful!
It is a volume reducer output power amp.
One input, two outputs (8 and 16 ohms). A knob from 0 to -33 dB. But it is mono.
Using the simplest and most obvious!
This small boiboite (4kg anyway) is connected between the output of an amplifier HP and HP (or cabinet) itself, and can push the volume of the amp donf to have a wonderful natural compression or a crunch of the power amplifier, without ruining the eardrum, it reduces the volume after the amp (is that clear?). It transforms the energy ... Electric (?)... Output HP ... heat ... but it does not feel it.
Sound (7 / 10)
Fabulous when you have a 100 watt amp in the studio of 9m ² and neighbors ... old!
It has almost the sound of death that is paid in again, without the volume! It could color the sound. Certainly. Like any powersoak in my opinion, as now, the HP does not work like they had to handle a full load. But it happens a lot!
I found it really convincing on the section of a JCM900 molassonne low volume, it had just awakened the bousin (and upstream, he recovered an Engl 530). In short, it's the only time this amp sounded, but I digress.
Global Reviews (7 / 10)
Just when you need an amp lamp that is expressed only when the master is at the bottom.
The problem, thank you Marshall, is that it is mono. So if you have a stereo amplifier, must buy 2 ... and close to € 400 a piece ... (200 € in time, approximately).
But frankly, pushing his amp (tube, eh!) To 8 and not have ears that bleed, it is well worth the small concessions, right?
Petit added 13/07/03: Given that the power tubes working at full capacity, it will drop faster than if we play without the low-volume Power Brake. And we do not sound 100% Repeat '/ live, as the HP, them, they do not work much. But hey, it saves the bowls. And there's nothing nothing!
Addition, 24/12/2005: sold for a Weber Mass (% http://fr.audiofanzine.com/produits/avis/index 2Cidproduit 2C37350.html%) not good, then for a PGA04 Palmer (http://fr .audiofanzine.com / products / view / index%% 2Cidproduit 2C22681.html).
So many go through the Marshall than in the Mass, I think, or try THD Hotplate.N / AN / AN / A