Elektron Octatrack user reviews
14 of 15 people found this review helpful
- You will find it very well elsewhere.
- I've had it for only two days, but everything goes very quickly (who knows a minimum machine though).
The manual is complete, but a little dry. I had "fun" to read before receiving the beast, I must admit that reading is not the most exciting ... on the other hand, with the OT under the eyes is very clear.
You just need to be thinking "Elektron", but then everything falls under the fingers. This is simply the ergonomics of magic trick.
A mix between an MPC (with limits that said, including editing tempos by banks or patterns impossible for the moment), the looper Live, a specialized multi effect (IDM or Glitch Effectrix kind) and a Kaoss Pad.
And here I am a fan ...
Example of the use of the crossfader and scenes: I'll spend my loop pitch -12 with a High pass above and within the note gradually (ie with a beautiful transition) in the same loop with a 12 pitch Low Pass radical and within a few ms ...
I think it is almost the machine hardware I dreamed since I electro (fifteen years).
"Almost", for some small defects: management patterns and banks is not simple enough, some gaps editing into a sequencer worthy of the name (limited polyphony, etc ...), tempo (yet once, sorry, but this is what I miss the most ...) ...
But you lose the one hand we win another thousand times.
- It sounds, there's no denying it. Effects are super efficient, very modern, there is a good momentum, and 24 bit pleasure on a machine like that. I have not yet experienced enough all effects to really talk, but I have a very good first impression (including what they can do with their time).
And most importantly, coupled with scenes, machines neighboring the master track, it simply becomes a gas plant.
- Overall Opinion
- I for almost 48 hours, which passed on a good third.
I had (and I still have) in the hands of many sequencers and samplers.
Well the OT, it is a world apart I think. A real instrument.
The machine has hardware very well integrated the evolution of all software oriented "electro" all these years (Live, some plugins like Effectrix ...) .. I even found a small taste of FL Studio (which I love) in the sequencer (P-Lock on the grid).
Instrument in its own right
Originality / Sounds
Very well thought out ergonomics (especially the scenes)
The - (to date):
Management of banks / patterns somewhat laborious
No ability to set tempo by bank / pattern to date (unless you go by the way arranger, blah ..)
Rather than twice I would do this choice yes!
6 of 7 people found this review helpful
- I good back on it, it has already been done ....
- Simple setup, I quickly cottoned logic Elektron, I thought that my pain more Dave Smith Tempest (since sold) but finally I found it really simple. the French manual is really good tutorials are cool and it is complete.
Everything is easily accessible, just need to understand how to archive sounds and sets.
the only downside is the bank transfer or pattern between sets, for now it is tedious, it's really the only downside for me especially when a lot of banks (one bank at home zic = 1) and we want to change the order or set zics his example. For this I put him 8/10.
- it sounds electro, you put what you want inside and frees her inspiration as electro. this is what I wanted.
- Overall Opinion
- I use it for 3 months, with a live, soon 2nd, I tried a Tempest and I did not like the sound. So I returned to my first love with a hardware sampler and I'm really happy with my purchase. The Octatrack control my machines noon, and builds my rhythm.
I use all these features set apart the looper (sampler or internal) that I find a bit tedious (I do not either, gave much time so it may be just me). 8 traks is cool but 12 it would have been the ultimate (but after they no longer sell Machinedrum, oh yeah ...).
the price / quality ratio is really good, the p-locks is great, the effects are cool, I still hope more effects in the future put a day. the workflow is great, it is a treat live.
I tickle the right a bit, I look a little flaws, but for me it is the best machine for my moog travel.
11 of 14 people found this review helpful
- 128x64 pixel backlit LCD
MIDI In / Out / Thru
4 × 1/4 "impedance balanced audio out jacks
4 × 1/4 "audio jacks in
1 x 1/4 "stereo headphone jack
Advanced DSP triple system
44.1kHz, 24-bit D / A and A / D converters
Flash EEPROM upgradeable OS
USB 2.0 port
Compact Flash card reader
Infinium optical crossfader
80 MB RAM per Flex project
Static sample streaming from CF card
Sample engine reads 24 bit samples
Eight internal tracks
16 banks per project
256 patterns per project
8 arrangements per project
4 shares per bank
16 scenes per share
Supports swing and slide
Full real-time control
External MIDI sequencer track 8
12/24dB Multi Mode Filter
2-band Parametric EQ
DJ-style EQ Kill
2-10 Stage Phaser
2-5 Chorus tap
Echo Freeze Delay
Gatebox Plate Reverb
Lo-Fi (SRR, BRR, and Dist AM)
etc etc etc ...
- The configuration is simple but requires some time to adapt to the logic of the machine.
The manual is available since little French (http://www.elektron.se/products/octatrack?section=downloads) and greatly assists in the understanding of this incredible machine but a bit complex in its approach.
Once back your sounds via USB or direct editing functions are simple and can go quite far in editing performance.
The sequence (TR) is concrete, allowing a game instinctive, very 'groove' and dynamic.
- This is a sampler so you import sounds and the work. But it must be impartial with this type of machine based on sample processing as if restitution remains feeble this whole system collapses. So yes the note on this point is the best 10/10!
Guarantee perfect reproduction and potato, this machine back to life in frozen samples and grooving is very naturally. For my part I mostly used samples ryhtmes old boxes and I must admit that I saw little difference with the real, it's pretty amazing.
- Overall Opinion
- Use for 1 year and difficult to pass. This box allows sampler, looper, all your samples sequencer with amazingly simple.
We return the samples, you create your project, you assign sounds to different tracks / 'tracks' (8 in total) and starts the sequencer 8,16,24,32 or 64 steps. CA groove right away and hard not to tamper with the machine in all directions for improving sequences.
After the failure of Micro Korg sampler (which is considered a toy next to this monster) and the precipitous decline in the use of hardware samplers in the studio we were entitled to ask questions about the Octatrack. There Elektron took a huge risk in designing and developing such a project, a bet a little crazy but so beneficial. Then it is Oktatrack up? Well there is not far to seek, it is a machine to create bright lines ryhtmes or sample-based sounds with a sequencer made perfect and extremely convenient. Metallic construction is exemplary, it does not plant and ergonomics for use in live is a formidable tool and autonomous guard game. And although it may seem expensive at first know that the investment is well worth the effort.
Elektron was very hard on this one!
8 of 9 people found this review helpful
- Level connections, there was one entry and one exit south, audio level was 4 in and 2 out in addition to the master output, and a USB socket to get samples directly on the computer.
Level effect, there is a choice between filters, equalizer, compressor, distortion, delay, phaser, flanger, lo-fi.
This is a sampler therefore no sound in it, it's up to you to re-enter your favorite sounds through the USB socket or directly in samplant.Vous can then destructure your curls, slicer, add effects, there is also a chromatic fashion , a way to play your slot samples using a TRIGS.
Level sequencer, was 8 audio and 8 MIDI tracks with again lots of possibilities to own machines Elektron.Sur the OT was the right one has 3 LFOs + LFO and design that's genial.Le system of scene, locks of parameters are really terrible and allow much variation in live.
- The OT may seem complicated at first but just look at the structure of the machine to understand how that is once again own the Elektron Machine.
The manual is clear but for now only available in English, it says a French version will be available soon.
Level and ergonomics, it's not bad at all even though I admit I was a bit lost in debut.Apres few months of use, I find the OT very well thought out.
- No sound in it so it has to import them you can be by-cons import project for sale on the web that are very good, I tried version Dubstep, it's nice but I prefer to create good my songs myself.
In terms of restitution, that sounds faithful to the original.
The effects are good qualities.
- Overall Opinion
- I use it for almost a year, at first I was a little disappointed because I was not used to this kind of machine is really a hand as logical but over time it became the centerpiece of my studio and for anything I divide them, especially since it is quite unique.
Before it I had a MC 909 which is also a very good machine but I much prefer the OT, I also had korg (Er-1-Es-1.. Etc. ..) but it is very has limited side of the OT.
It really is a machine which can be extensive enough to even if it was a bank of its conséquente.En enough for me I sample all my synths, I leave my modular and just live with the OT and bar and live at this machine is perfect, the system is really terrible scenes.
Actually I did it find any default now that I begin to control it, the price is excellent value considering all it can do (sequencer-sampler-mixer-looper) so you guessed it Clearly, I would do the same choice, if it came to let me go I bought a direct!
6 of 8 people found this review helpful
- I will not repeat the characteristics of the craft that have been cited many times!
- The configuration and operation are very intuitive operation provided to understand the logical concept of the machine because ultimately it is devilishly square and clear!
I do not think it had been possible to do better in terms of ergonomics at least to imagine a Octatrack as large as the table in my dining room!
- The sound is excellent, and controls are robust and flexible!
We regret that the reverb is a bit limited but for other effects, nothing to say!
- Overall Opinion
- I use it for a week and it took me around 24 hours (real) mastered for all functions of the beast! This machine is great and Update OS constantly adds new options and features!
I think the Octatrack is the best purchase I made!
9 of 10 people found this review helpful
- I suggest you read the various magazines sold in magazines, the Elektron website, etc.: The characteristics are summarized ;-)
I use the two letters to designate the Octatrack OT.
8 track midi -> you can control external synths and even quite easily controller via 6 knobs your synths many functions without looking up from the machine (OT is thought to!). There is also the possiblitée to modulate your notes, note lengths, etc. .. thanks to several LFO using the SOMA! Finally, we can play 4 notes at the same time: the bright chords!
8 audio track -> for those with Ableton Live, you can draw a parallel:
- 8 Track Audio, or,
- 8 Drum Racks (128 slots, memory almost infinite because we read from the Compact Flash card in real time, not time stretch), or,
- 8 Samplers (64 mega max, you can make time stretch - REX Files - when you choose this option the machine loads the sounds), or,
- Input Tracks 8 to get the sounds of synths to live and live audio processing always in real time (LO-FI, Flanger, etc.), or,
- Send Effects 8 ... are recovered and sounds of the other tracks are added effects in addition to two already possible for each track.
- One can also make a 7 Audio Tracks + Master track.
Of course you can combine all: 4 Drum Rack, Input 2 Tracks, 2 Samplers, and eight MIDI tracks.
There are finally two effects (string) tracks.
There is also a cross fader can be used to modulate several parameters of the machine, its effects, etc..
To draw a parallel with the plugin Camel Audio Alchemy or KORE2 Native instrument, cross fader allows to interpolate between values of several effects, if I move the cross fader to the right, then the machine will tend towards the values of the effects certain values predefined by the user and if I left the machine tends to other values. I know if I'm clear!
In any case, cross fader, if used properly can make TERRIFIC! we can do glitch, delay, repeat the beat ...
If we draw a parallel with Ableton Live, you can do the same thing ;-) but with Ableton Live, the layout is a bit longer to put up with the OT.
I blame Ableton live year after year to have lost his part simple and easy to use live.
- The config is simple, easy access functions, the machine has been designed so that users have fun live, take pleasure.
Manual not easy, you have to be honest on this point and to avoid frustration: He must read the manual to understand the philosophy of the machine + Watch Video Tutorials available on the web.
The learning curve is long and in full view of the power of the machine: justified!
- This is a sampler and then the sounds and style depends on what you use sounds like ...
on the other hand, although the audio is 16/24 bit 44khz ... dynamics is well. I really like, is potato :-)
In terms of groove, well I do not know the answer, I have not seen anything on this in the machine so no comparison with an Akai MPC sampler type, etc..
The effects are few, see the manual for a list of effects, but so what quality! The compressor is good music, like the rest, filter, flanger, LO-FI, Comb Filter ...
- Overall Opinion
- I'm at the very beginning of my learning, it's been a month since I use it. I took the following method:
- I export the loops made from my songs on my current or Ableton Live.
- I import into the machine and I try to recreate my songs "identical" and of course I try to go further! reading the manual, I look at the tutorials on the web.
I confess that I find fun to compose and s it I finished two compos ;-) it was long since put it more here! Ableton live as I spent my time doing loops and lose myself in the config controller plugin or noon (APC 40, etc ...).
Warning, this machine does not replace Ableton Live.
I make my drums, synths, gimmick, etc., with Ableton Live and I export the loops.
EO has simplified my life:
- I can enmener my machine anywhere, no need computer, I can call from my couch, etc. ..
- I found fun to play.
Thanks to eight MIDI tracks and the possibility of other synth controller (> 6 knobs), I go back a very minimalist config: OT + + Keyboard Virus TI Snow 12:25 keys. I recently purchased a one-Shruti and I intend to use it with the OT soon!
Ableton Live I was doing a live continuously with the OT all depends on how you deal for me, I have composed of different styles with different tempos. Under Ableton Live, it's easy to change tempo ... for the OT is different, or changing from one tempo to another way manual (I turn a knob until the desired value) or I have to load another project (and thus stop the sound!) . BCQ for users of the OT, it seems that their live is composed of a single SET live always with the same tempo. So maybe this is not blocking for some.
To summarize, I do not regret my purchase, I had the opportunity this machine that tipped my decision to buy it .. I confess that in 1100 or 1200 euros is expensive in my opinion .. So I waited a good opportunity to take that step.
- Sampler giving only 8 tracks,
operator but samples of a way that 8 track can be sufficient
even if I used a 64 MPC
Elektron gives us P-locks, the crossfader, and scenes,
which opens the possibility to handle samples in real time enormously
Samples can be time stretch / pitch in real time
can be started with a beat, for example,
then sampled something in real time
then play / Listened to manipulate this sample,
never stop the sound,
- jai past 2 or 3 days before they sampled something,
I cross that jai spent some time out even before a sound!
the fact that I know of the whole universe of Elektron I probably slowed
but jai come to understand the beast
also with my yamaha motif reminds me that at the beginning I felt no beast of expertise,
c actually more satisfying than a machine learning application before you can use it as reassuring
Once we understand the function, c a pure pleasure to use
- I find it sounds, and the same samples I used in the mpc sounds better,
but hey, c also because so much can tweak the sounds,
- Overall Opinion
- I lay for a few months,
but since the mpc abondoné jai completely, I will highlight the mpc to do some tricks, the game pad for example, c another universe,
There was an end in December and MAJ Would there soon be another,
even if great things are already possible with the octa,
there are a few tips to set up, as scenes and p.locks sequencer in the South, and they also promised a looper, I think coming Cava
in terms of instrument of creation, jai never known such a thing,
I must say that I avoid depusis years of work on computer, I prefer hardware,
I am very happy with this bike, and I think in future I'll be more ..
8 of 8 people found this review helpful
- The OT has a stereo output jack (6.35 x 2), a cue output jack (6.35 x 2), a headphone jack, four jack inputs in 6.35, a MIDI input and output and a USB connection to transfer data on the card.
It is a very versatile machine that is both sampler (rythmes and loops), sequencer (internal and MIDI), digital mixer with effects.
The machine has eight audio tracks for each of these tracks you can choose to use the built-in sampler or audio input. There are two effects per track. The eighth track can be used as a master. It also has eight MIDI tracks to sequence plugins (notes, control changes, program change ...), and a powerful arpeggiator for each track.
The MIDI sequencer is polyphonic up to four vocals, we can also sequence any parameter, or use the LFO (up to 3 tracks, including eight fully editable) to control any parameter (Control change, arpeggiator ...).
The sampler for each track is monophonic, but again, we can sequence any parameters, apply up to 3 LFO. A lot of creative possibilities.
The LFOs can also control the effect parameters, really crazy when we begin to touch that!
- The configuration is relatively simple given the opportunity. Reading the manual (or even two readings) will be essential to understand the logic of Elektron (unless you are already using the Machinedrum or Monomachine).
The manual is clear enough, it goes to the heart of the matter without repetition, so that's why we find ourselves revisiting the beginning several times.
A crossfader allows very fast access to all functional parameters. For live, it is essential to rely on it. It's a habit that I did not have, but once I got used to it, I can't do without!
Otherwise, access to parameters is rather simple in spite of the limited buttons and knobs. For interpretation, however, is much more difficult. In order to control each parameter, navigate to it ... When using the mixer page for Muter tracks, it becomes very cumbersome to change a setting. It was then that the use of the crossfader becomes indispensable.
- The machine sounds, no worries on that side. Be careful it does not address the samples in 24 bits, so a little cleaning in your old library will be indispensable!
The effects are of excellent workmanship. I was really surprised by the quality of filters and EQ ... This is not a toy, this machine sounds amazingly well.
No latency audio inputs, I use the OT to mix my synth hardware, a real treat!
- Overall Opinion
- I use the OT for 8 months, but I really got into it with the arrival of OS 1.0, it allowed me to familiarize myself with the machine and logic before heavy use. After the first time to get my bearings, I compose now very easy with it.
In my setup, it is central to everything. I use it as a drum machine with samples, I can add sound loops when I need it. I sequence my hardware synths with MIDI and I'm back in the audio mix for the machine internally. I have only one left / right to send the console to my lives. The dream!
Of course the machine can be improved and we are always aware that we are missing the little things ... For my part I would like to automate tempo changes or program changes ... But the Elektron team is listening to users and offers regular updates.
I bought this machine after it's debut in hardware (with RM1X as a sequencer), I spent quite a few years from a software sequencer (initially M Cycling 74 and Ableton Live), I wanted to return to a hardware configuration. I have extensively studied the issue and no brands offered a machine that matched all my expectations with the ability to do the same things (sampler, sequencer, mixer).
Now that I control the machine, I can't imagine parting with it. There are still some youth defects, but I am sure they will soon disappear!