L-Acoustics DCM3
Audiofanzine FR Audiofanzine FR
Publié le 11/10/08 à 08:31
(Originally written by brunorey/translated from Audiofanzine FR)

I found these compact loudspeakers (H 9" x L 6.3" x D 6.3") a couple of years ago but they had no woofer. I looked everywhere for the right woofers (L.Acoustic, Audax, E2A) and I found them at the "Maison du haut-parleur" in Paris. It's an excellent compact loudspeaker with a balanced XLR input conceived by Christian Heil. It is equipped with a special Audax woofer and an Audax tweeter. The filter is passive and the amplifier stage is from E2A (an excellent French brand which conceived the QUEST analog mixing desks and their awesome preamps, the SQUARE 1000power amps which were used to feed incremental C.Heil FOH loudspeakers... and other gear from the 80's). Back to the DCM3, they were conceived for video monitoring. They don't have a big low-end but they do have a stunning sound precision! A small yoke (the threads are original) allows you to place them wherever you want, on a microphone stand. The sound turns exceptional if you add a small subwoofer.

- I have never tested them with an analyzer but I promise to do it.
- Excellent stereo imaging (thank you Christian)
- Very clear sound on the whole frequency spectrum but don't expect too much low-end
- Excellent dynamics

- I've been using them for 5 years, mainly for recording sessions (very precise and compact)
- Very linear and accurate response in the mid frequencies - but they lack low-end
- I bought them for next to nothing...
- I don't know what their market price was in the 80's!!
- I would buy them again.
- Excellent to watch a movie on a computer with the headphones output