Elixir Strings Nanoweb Coating Bass Nickel Plated
Elixir Strings Nanoweb Coating Bass Nickel Plated
Patrick Barrett Patrick Barrett

« The strings sound great but the nanoweb is peeling off. »

Published on 09/22/15 at 08:41
Value For Money : Correct
Audience: Anyone
Pros: These strings are super bright and punchy and resonate clearly on my electric bass even when not plugged in to the amp. I really like the sound from them. They also feel really nice. They're almost slippery, but in a good way, where my fingers roll off of them nicely, especially when playing faster grooves.

Cons: The only thing I really don't like about them is the price, but that will even out if the strings last for 2-3 times longer than competitors as advertised. I've not played them super long, but long enough to break them in decently at this point. Other problems may come up in the future, but I really can't see that happening. From what others have said, the nanoweb will start to peel after awhile (but still longer than the life of other strings) if you play with a pick a lot, but I play 95% of the time with fingers so I don't foresee this being a problem for me.

In summary, at this point, I've only had them for about a week and played 10-15 hours on them. If they maintain and hold their quality for extended periods, I will definitely buy more for my next restring. I'd recommend them to others if you like bright, poppy sounds.

EDIT - It has now only been about a month and I can already see significant discoloration on the strings up by the pickups. The nano-web stuff is peeling off all the way up the entire neck of the guitar.

Images linked to this review

• photo