Gotham GAC-3 mic cable assembly
Gotham GAC-3 mic cable assembly
briank briank

« High quality mic cable assemblies »

Publié le 07/09/11 à 10:31
The Gotham GAC-3 cable assemblies are high quality low-noise cables available in various lengths and jack colors.

Mine employ Switchcraft XLR connectors that hold up well over time: the black metal housings are very strong, and the gold contacts do not oxidize over time like nickel contacts tend to do. The jackets are available in multiple colors for coding; this is great for keeping track of the typical spaghetti mess of cables on a stage or studio floor, and the cables coil well and feel nice.

The cable stock features very high quality copper conductors and braid which, along with the good connectors, equate to fast, clean, quiet sound. The quality of soldering and assembly strain relief are all excellent and better than some others I have peeked into. My assemblies all came in a thick-mil plastic zipper bag, along with a red plastic cable tie that is reusable for years.

The prices are premium compared to more pedestrian cable assemblies, but quite fair compared to other premium assemblies. You do get above average parts and build for the price, in addition to some thoughtful packaging. In more critical situations such as studio recording, I feel that they are well worth the premium given the return in quality and confidence, and in fact represent good value for the money.

I have used many other brands and types of cable assemblies at various pricepoints; my Gothams mainly see use in a commercial recording studio and hang on a wall along with BLUE Kiwis, EWI Starline and Starquad, and others including custom Belden/Neutrik assemblies. The Gothams rank right up at the top as far as I'm concerned. They are my go-to cables and I much prefer them in all parameters to the BLUE Kiwis, whose jackets and quad cable stock are much stiffer and have clumsier, less reliable XLR ends.

I have found Gotham's US distributor pleasant to deal with and genuinely concerned about quality of materials and signal transfer. I have and will continue to purchase the Gotham GAC-3 assemblies, as well as their other products.

Price paid was for 25' assemblies with black/gold XLR ends.

Images linked to this review

• photo