Celemony Melodyne Essential
Celemony Melodyne Essential

Digital Audio Editor from Celemony belonging to the Melodyne series.

mooseherman mooseherman

« Awesome program, but demanding of CPU power »

Published on 01/30/11 at 13:03
Melodyne is an audio processing/editing software that is actually quite remarkable in its versatility and application. It can pitch-correct monophonic as well as polyphonic pieces of music and can do so with startling accuracy. This version (Melodyne Essential) came with my Digi 003 hardware and Pro Tools LE 8 software bundle. It took some time to get the program downloaded from the website but after awhile I had it up and running. There are a lot of features with Melodyne so it took me a while to figure out how to use it, btu the videos were very detailed and informative so there were no lingering questions or confusion.

The software had a lot of issues running on my Pro Tools LE setup. I have a Macbook Pro with 4 GB of ram and I have yet to run Melodyne on a session where it doesn't freeze up playback or even freeze the Pro Tools session. This is probably just because of the high processing power necessary to run the software. It has actually required me to run the software on tracks in different sessions, which has given me an unnecessary amount of work added to my load. This has generally discouraged me from using the software. I've tried adjusting the amount of CPU power that my computer can use at one time but I still get issues regardless.

I like the program itself a whole lot. The way that it can not only correct pitches, but change them entirely is remarkable. I'm amazed at how well it'll process a vocal line without giving it too much of that T-Pain, mainstream Top 40 Auto-tune sound. It allowed me to really take my music into some crazy directions. It can even take a guitar chord and change individual notes within the chord.
It's a shame that it takes more processing power than my computer can give. This makes it really difficult to use in sessions, even if it is a new session with minimal extra plug-ins used. I'm sure with a full sized iMac or a desktop PC it could run better but it's a shame that I can't use it at home, considering that's where I really want to experiment with it. A huge disappointment that I can't quite figure out how to correct.