Roland RD-700SX
Roland RD-700SX

Digital Piano from Roland belonging to the RD series.

dejavu dejavu

« Good stuff »

Published on 05/14/12 at 09:32
Everything has been said about its features.

I don't play piano, I "thump" it. I'm in a '60s-'70s cover band (CSN&Y, Eagles, Beatles, America, ...). I gave up piano a couple of years ago. My wife insisted that I retake it, so I did, and the first thing I played was "Cathedral" by Graham Nash. Suddenly I had the bug again and I started using it once more.
The manual is very comprehensive.
The keyboard is simply stunning.
Setup is both simple and very complex. The possibilities are huge.

I only use a fraction of the sounds. Mainly piano, organs, violin pads, and from time to time flute, sax, bass...
The possibility to "split" the piano in four parts can be interesting in certain cases..
Sounds are realistic and effects allow you to add touches to it (although I don't use them much).

9/70 (I haven't tested everything)

I've used it for 5 years and I haven't gotten tired of it. I tested some other models before. I even came back with a Kurzweil, but it wasn't for me. I took my son along with me to exchange the piano for another model. When he heard the Roland, he said, "Dad, there's no doubt about it, this is the one." It just goes to show that we sometimes need a younger look at things.
The weight might be a problem for some. It weighs almost 90lbs inside its flight case. I always need the help of someone else to take it down to our rehearsal room (which is in the cellar). I bought a cart so I didn't have to bother my "playing mates" too often.
But the weight is a given, since you can't have such a key action mechanism on a unit weighing only 11-13lbs.
For rehearsals I use the Juno, another Roland. I also use this keyboard for certain organ and violin sounds (they are different to the ones on the RD).

I'd buy it again without hesitation.
9/10 (due to its weight)