Akai Professional EWI3020
Akai Professional EWI3020
tree-top tree-top
Publié le 05/26/06 à 04:54
I decided to buy the EWI in 2005 and 3020 I played for a year. Initially, I was looking for an instrument to study "silent" with a good sound that allows me to do the relay with a soprano sax with little change of scenery. The Akai was cheaper than syntophone (a real electronification alto sax), and ensured the linearity of response with the proper management of the pressure sensor at the nose (a problem with yamaha that I read) .
I'm not disappointed! In practice, I see it as an instrument in its own right that requires a specific technical work. It takes a few months to be comfortable, but nothing insurmountable!
-Compared to the saxophone, the keywork sets allows a greater number of combinations, which facilitates the chromaticism. The response time-adjustment may be zero, making the instrument more than a swift flute, but also delicate in the octave-jumping fingers to be impeccably synchronized! Changes octave roll proved very flexible to use: up from pairs of octaves, arpeggios ... The program is perfect glissando.
-Although there is no reed, the tip can be pinched in the same way that a nozzle sax! It is even possible to partially obstruct the opening with the language to generate interesting TKT difficult to play without destabilizing the soprano sax sound.
"I often read that the digital module (separately) generated sound cooler than the analog module of the EWI 2000. It is possible, but rather the factory sound bank that is the problem: it takes time to improve them by using the filters and connecting them to sensors that go. PatchMan music provided a bank offers its downloads, but I have not tested.
In the end, the sound can rival that of a wooden acoustic (with a less dynamic harmonic palette, of course) you can almost make him cry by generating an agreement right thumb and programming a resonant filter. Impressive! Personally I recommend lightly saturate its output at a pre-amp to make it even more alive. Another solution is to use another sound module (the input EXT.IN) and to benefit from the mixer controls.
-Finally, if you play a forest and you like the sound, with the desire to enjoy the swift seven octaves, please! I think Aki is creating a new branch of electronic stringed instrument. The new model 4000S (30% cheaper than 3020!), Which seems to offer more in terms of sound synthesis, autonomy and control marks a transition to a true solo instrument. This is just the beginning, but worth a look.