< Tous les avis Cockos Reaper 4
Cockos Reaper 4

General Sequencer from Cockos belonging to the Reaper series

hhub17 hhub17
Published on 10/08/11 at 04:51
I downloaded the update, having already bought the license for version 2.
No issues, everything was in its place.
It works flawlessly under Windows (even under Win7 X64 with my erratic VAIO), and it can be easily installed with Wine on Ubuntustudio, TangoStudio, Fedora CCRMA, KX Studio, and I haven't tested all Linux distributions there are!
I didn't reinstall it on me USB key, I keep the old version on a removable hard drive.
It doesn't recognize all my plug-ins but I have downloaded all sort of things throughout the years, so it takes 10 minutes to load them all if I make it re-scan all folders with VSTs. But apart from that, it starts right away.
I haven't read the manual in two years. It has lots of improvements, but if you've used it you know where you are going.

In short, no installation nor operation problems. I don't recall it having crashed, it just freezes sometimes when scanning 10Gb of plug-ins and soundfonts, but I only need to wait for it to be over and then it gets going again.

Portable Sony VAIO with 4Gb RAM, 640 GB HDD + removable HDD, second screen, an Alesis Multimix USB 4 and a Toneport UX1 Line6 (barely runs on Linux), 2 monitoring speakers.
Stable setup.

I've had different version of Reaper the last 5 years.
I tested several freewares before, including some really bad ones (GRRRR!) and read the reviews of more expensive software programs before paying for my license.
I also tested some free and free-of-charge software on Linux, but it's a different concept altogether: A brick per function and you link everything, it takes time to get your bearings.
The pros: The price, stability and portability, the power.
The cons: It has everything, so you have to get used to a new way of working, find a setup that suits you because everything is adjustable.