Dave Smith introduces the Pro 2 synth
After a fews days teasing, Dave Smith finally unveils its new instrument, the Pro 2 hybrid mono synth.
The Pro 2 combines analog synthesis design to digital technology and offers a 4-voice paraphonic mode. Described by Dave Smith as his “most powerful mono synth ever”, the Pro 2 retains from the Prophet 12 the same ergonomics and playability, but the sound range is very different.
Pro 2 features:
- Four DSP-based oscillators plus one sine wave sub oscillator
- Four classic wave shapes (saw, square, triangle, sine) per oscillator
- Twelve selectable complex shapes per oscillator
- 13 Superwaves
- Three noise types per oscillator: white, pink, violet
- Shape modulation/pulse width/superwave detune amount
- Oscillator cross modulation: frequency modulation (FM) and amplitude modulation (AM)
- Hard sync, individual Glide, Oscillator Slop
- True 4-voice paraphonic mode with individually-gated envelopes per oscillator
- Five high-quality digital effects : Girth and Air are high and low shelf equalizers with harmonic excitement, Hack and Decimate are sample and bit rate reduction algorithms, Drive is a soft saturator for adding soft distortion and harmonic content to the signal
- Dual analog filters operate in serial or parallel : Filter 1 is a 4-pole resonant analog low-pass filter inspired by the original Prophet-5 filter ; Filter 2 is a 2-pole resonant analog state-variable filter inspired by the Oberheim SEM filter and can be continuously varied between low-pass, notch, and high-pass operation, with an optional band-pass mode.
- Oscillator Split allows oscillators 1 & 2 to be sent to Filter 1 and oscillators 3 & 4 to Filter 2.
- Tuned Feedback
- Three tap syncable delays with feedback and amount controls, pan, and high-pass and low-pass filtering, all per delay. A separate fourth delay is a digital bucket-brigade delay (BBD) for analog-style effects.
- Five Delay + ADSR envelopes (Filter 1, Filter 2, VCA , and two Auxiliary envelopes)
- Auxiliary envelopes 4 and 5 freely assignable to multiple modulation destinations
- All envelopes can repeat/loop
- Four syncable LFOs with phase offset and slew per LFO
- 16 x 2 modulation matrix with over 50 mod sources and over 140 mod destinations
- Parameters that can be sent to CV outputs include oscillators, LFOs, envelopes, sequencer tracks and any other source within the modulation matrix. Runs up to audio rates.
- Gate Out for triggering external CV-compatible devices; any CV in can be used as a gate input.
- Four 1-volt-per-octave control voltage inputs and outputs for interfacing with modular synths and other CV-compatible devices
- Modulation assignment buttons enable quick and easy modulation routing.
- Mod Matrix runs up to audio rates.
- Advanced step sequencer provides up to 32 steps per sequence and up to 16 tracks ; supports real-time input, rests, and variable-length sequences ; syncs to MIDI clock and external audio and CV input
- Sequences can control not only oscillator pitch but any parameter in the modulation matrix.
- Arpeggiator with up, down, up+down, random, assign modes ; supports real-time input, rests, and variable-length sequences
- Re-latching arpeggiation
- Stereo analog distortion
- More than 50 knobs and 65 buttons for editing
- Backlit pitch and mod wheels are easily visible in low-light situations and have a smooth yet precise feel and response.
- Independently adjustable upper and lower pitch wheel range
- Two assignable position- and pressure-sensitive latchable touch sliders
- Full-sized, three-and-a-half-octave, semi-weighted keyboard with velocity and aftertouch
- 396 user and 396 factory programs
- Playlist mode for generating easily accessible setlists of your favorite programs
- 1 MIDI In, 1 MIDI out, and 1 MIDI Thru/Out 2 port
- USB port for bidirectional MIDI communication
- 4 CV inputs (4 x 1/8" jack)
- 4 CV outputs (4 x 1/8" jack)
- 1 Gate Out (1/8" jack))
- 1 Sustain/footswitch input
- 1 expression pedal input
- 1 external audio input (1/4" phone jack)
- Main stereo output (2 x 1/4" phone jack)
- Headphone out (stereo 1/4" phone jack)
- Universal power supply (100V-240V)
- Walnut sides
- Dimensions: 742 x 325 x 105mm
- Weight: 8.5kg
Discover the Pro 2 at www.davesmithinstruments.com.
Viewers of this article also read...
- Moog introduces the Werkstatt-Ø1 Kit The new Werkstatt-Ø1 is a special limited edition of a single oscillator analog synth created during the workshops at Moogfest 2014.
- The Moog Theremini is available The Theremini that Moog introduced at NAMM last January, is now available for purchase.
- -30% off all Waldorf software synths This weekend, Waldorf offers a 30% discount off all the virtual synths available at his webstore.