UA 1176 Classic Limiter Plug-In Collection
Universal Audio releases the 1176 Classic Limiter Collection for the UAD-2 Powered Plug-Ins platform and new Apollo Audio Interface.
Picking up where UA’s original 1176LN Limiting Amplifier plug-in left off, this new 1176 collection provides emulations of three distinct 1176 hardware units.
The new 1176 Classic Limiter Plug-In Collection models the Bill Putnam Sr.-designed FET limiter’s electronic path — including its transformers, FET and bipolar transistor amplifiers, and input/output distortion.
The 1176 Limiter Plug-In Collection provides three distinct 1176 revisions. The Rev A “Bluestripe” represents the original Putnam FET limiter design. The Rev E “Blackface” covers the early 70’s / Brad Plunkett “LN” (Low Noise) era of the 1176 circuit lineage, with a more linear compression response, transistor gain amplification, and a change to the program dependency. The 1176AE emulates UA’s 1176 40th Anniversary Edition, with “hot-rod” mods — including its lower 2:1 compression ratio and a fixed 10ms attack mode.
Also included in the 1176 Classic Limiter Plug-In Collection are presets from 1176 enthusiasts: Ed Cherney (Eric Clapton, Bonnie Raitt), Joe Chiccarelli (The White Stripes, The Killers), Carl Glanville (U2), David Isaac (Marcus Miller, Luther Vandross), Andy Johns (Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones), Jacquire King (Kings of Leon, Norah Jones), Hugo Nicolson (Radiohead, Björk), Vance Powell (The Dead Weather, The Raconteurs), and Andrew Scheps (Adele, Red Hot Chili Peppers).
Pricing & Availability:
The 1176 Classic Limiter Collection is now available as part of the new UAD Software v6.2 release, and can be purchased for $299 via UA’s Online Store, or for $149 for current owners of the original 1176LN Limiting Amplifier Plug-In.
1176 Classic Limiter Collection features include:
- Emulation of M.T. “Bill” Putnam-designed classic FET Limiter
- Includes three versions: Rev A, Rev E, and AE — each with their own specific features and sonic attributes
- Models entire electronic path, including transformers, FET and bipolar transistor amplifiers
- Compression circuit model includes improved gain reduction nonlinearities and Attack/Release fits
- Attack time – 20 microseconds to 800 microseconds
- New “No Ratio” or Attack “Off” provides amplifier-only mode Input and Output amplifier distortion
- Multi-button ratio combinations now available — including “All-Buttons”
More information on the 1176 Classic Limiter Plug-In Collection here.
Viewers of this article also read...
- Rent-to-own Ozone 9 and Neutron 3 together on Splice Splice has bundled iZotope’s latest software audio processors and offers them at a lower price through their rent-to-own program.
- Arturia AudioFuse 8PRE audio interface review Just over two years ago, French manufacturer Arturia first stepped into the world of audio interfaces. More recently at NAMM 2019, the Grenoble-based company announced two new models, one of which the AudioFuse 8Pre. Has it been a successful addition to the line?
- Antelope Discrete 4 Synergy Core review About a year and a half ago, Antelope released the Discrete, a new range of Thunderbolt & USB interfaces including discrete preamps, their famous FPGA module as well as the stack of audio effects that would usually come with it. Now back in June 2019, Antelope releases a new version of its Discrete 4, this time providing dual DSP chips in addition to the FPGA. Marketing ploy or real step forward?