Epiphone Les Paul Junior Pitch Black
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Pitch Black

LP-Shaped Guitar from Epiphone belonging to the Les Paul Special Run series.

MGR/Michael March MGR/Michael March

« Gibson Les Paul Junior »

Published on 10/15/06 at 15:00
I've played guitar for over 40 years, taking my first guitar lesson as a 10 year-old. I've played in several bands, performing folk, bluegrass, all-ocassion, country, and rock music in six different bands. Currently I'm in a folk/bluegrass trio, and a four-piece rock band. My musical tastes range from rock, blues, folk, bluegrass, jazz, classical and everything in-between!

I purchased my one-year old Gibson Les Paul Junior used through Elderly Instruments in Michigan. I payed $600, which included a deluxe TKL Gibson embossed hardshell case worth $150. You can get one new through Musiciansfriend.com or GuitarCenter.com for
$749. That includes a gigbag.

Gibson's Les Paul Junior is one lean, mean, rockin' machine! The solid mahogany body gives the Junior it's great tone. The single-cutaway body style and light weight make it very comgortable to play, especially on those long gigs. The Gibson P-90 pickup gives it it's growl. With one tone and volume control, it's easy to dial in the sound you want. A very comfortable, 24-3/4" neck with rosewood fretboard also makes it a joy to play. No 'faded' finish here; this guitar comes with a great nitro finish, and the burst is super. It has chrome hardware, and a compensated wraparound bridge. The tuners are decent, but I'd like to see an adjustable bridge. I also replaced the gig bag with a hardshelled case for better protection. I play this beauty through a tube amp, and it sounds fantastic! It's got that great gibson tone, and the mahogany body really resonates. A good value for the money.

I'm not crazy about the tuners. They're decent, but I'd like to see better quality tuners. I'd also like to see a fully adjustable bridge. That way height and intonation can be dialed in precisely. It should also be sold with a hardshell case.

This is a quality Gibson instrument. Although it's low on the Gibson line, fit and finish are great! The neck is vintage Gibson, nice fretwork, smooth edges. I couldn't find any finish flaws either.

I love this guitar! Good looking, comfortable to play, great sounding! It's a stripped down, no frills rocker that'll put out great sounds for many years!