AKG GHS1
ericthegreat ericthegreat

« clear sound »

Published on 10/25/11 at 20:56
I have to say that I am blown away with these headphones. The sound quality is superb and beyond my expectations. I've rarely heard such clarity in my recordings. These headphones are a gem. On the other hand, because I don't use monitors in my home studio because of my neighbors, I still find that it's rather difficult to get an accurate mix. But that's normal, we're talking headphones. These headphones can reproduce or approximate what you would hear through good monitors, but again that's where I find that the sound sometimes in my headphones can be a little misleading. It doesn't overdo on the bass or the highs at all or it doesn't exaggerate them neither, thank god, but the sound is so clear and good that often my mixes, if I become overly reliant on the AKG GHS1 without constant checking with monitors, can lead to poor low volume mixes. But overall, with outside monitors, these are a gem, and with a real keen ear, one can really achieve good-to-great mixes, but make sure to always check with a pair of outside monitors, even computer monitors will do.

Another thing with these headphones is the cord that comes with it; I wish the coil could be detachable and a bit longer. Other than that, the sturdiness, the ability to fold the headpieces, and the sheer outside noise cancellation that is achieved makes these headphones a true gem to behold. The sound isolation is very good. The headphones tilt and swivel in enough spots to get a comfortable fit on anyone. The coiled cord can be a bit heavy at times. If you are close to the source plug or even sitting, the weighty cord is not much of a problem. If you are standing at a mic, the cord sways and can be a bit distracting. Good quality.