Agrandir

« Hufschmid Aton-Exquisite Guitar made with Passion! »

Published on 03/11/22 at 17:51
Value For Money : Correct
Audience: Advanced Users
I received this guitar from Patrick Hufschmid in March (thanks customs), after ordering it in January.

The specs are the follows:

ONE PIECE premium perfectly quartersawn 'Sipo Mahogany' body + neck!
▪Highly figured ONE PIECE 'quilt maple' top!
▪Premium 'Crelicam Ebony' fingerboard, 24 frets, 25.5"scale, 12 - 16" compound radius.
▪Exclusive 'HufGlow' fingerboard block inlays.
▪The world's first polyetheretherketone (PEEK) nut! ©keAWmx03u4BBqcA2
▪Hipshot hardware.
▪My very own designed solid brass laser etched mounting rings!
▪High tolerance CTS pots.
▪A rare NOS Russian 'FT-2' 0.027uF TEFLON capacitor - ©concept.
▪Aluminium shielding.
▪Made to measure 'Hufschmid GlowBuckers©', the world's first resin cast humbuckers which glow in the dark (copyright registration number ©DEP635754926735555984).
▪The logo inlay design in the back is an actual coin featuring a gorgeous antique nickel finish.
▪20 coats of hand applied oil based varnish.

First, the ordering process: working with Patrick was an absolute delight! He provided many updates throughout the whole process, asking me questions etc, and even just provided delightful conversation as a friend. He left no stone unturned during the build, and is extremely efficient and doesn't waste his customer's time, finishing guitars in ~8 weeks or so! He even had to order a second case when this guitar didn't fit, and he paid the extra out of his own pocket.

Now for the guitar: it has the most gorgeous top I've ever seen! Each finish is unique, and this blue is really something special. The varnish overall on the guitar feels amazing, and smells great. The Aton shape is basically a Jaguar guitar, but with a cutout at the bridge. It is mega ergonomic, and sits perfectly when I play.

I need to bring special attention to the neck-Patrick requests a photo of your hand, so that he can carve the neck based on your hand. I have to say it's the most comfortable neck I've ever played! It's definitely thicker than what most are used to, but I have had some thumb/hand issue with thinner necks so this is a welcome reprieve, and seems to confirm thin necks are not for me.

Sound wise, this thing is a beast! Acoustically, it is extremely resonant, and honestly the loudest guitar I've played that wasn't an actual acoustic. The pickups are extremely versatile, I can play the heaviest of metal yet get an amazing clean sound, I wish these weren't exlusive to Hufschmid as I'd like to put pairs in all my guitars!

In summary, if you are looking for an amazing, all handmade instrument, made by passion and a skilled artisan luthier, than you cannot go wrong with Patrick! I fully recommend him!

Images linked to this review

• photo