Larrivée RS-4 80's
Larrivée RS-4 80's
daandare daandare
Publié le 09/11/07 à 09:35
Made in Canada by Jean Larrivee in 1987. Model RS-4
22 frets, one humbucker near the bridge, two single coils, three switches, one volume knob, tone knob
Floyd Rose tremolo with locking screws at the nut, Schaller tuners;
Through neck;so no screws or plate, ebony fingerboard

The neck is ;a dream come true. Very comfortable and fast. I have small hands. I also have a strato L series, and the neck of the Larrivée is faster.
Access to high notes is more comfortable than a Start,&nbsp;
It is great to hold, well balanced the body is like a strat, comfortable. It is heavier than the strat, which adds the sustain (in addition to the through neck).

The sounds are very diverse. The switches have several positions. We can go from jazz;to "Heavy" 80 years like Van Halen and others. On a Fender Deluxe and a Marshall distortion, it sounds heavy on the Humbucker. The humbucker can be switched to "single coil", and with the the middle pickup, we get a clean sound like a strat. Each pickup has an "off" position, so that you can play with the switch for a variety of sound . Tne neck pickup is very sweet, it sounds jazzy with the tone know turned down.
Because of its look, it's still a Heavy Metal guitar.
I have to say that my Start still sounds more like a 64 Start than the Larrivee!

I bought it new 19 years ago.
My favorite is its neck,its tremolo, and the wide range of sounds.
What I like least is its &nbsp;"Heavy Metal" look. I am probably getting old.
I fell in love with the guitar when trying it in the store ( I am definitely getting old).
Excellent value for money. Selling for the equivalent of 800 euros at the time.
Today, I would not choose to buy this guitar, because I am nearly fifty and I prefer the look and the clean sound of my Start! Moreover Larrivée only produced that range from 83 to 89, the era of "guitar heroes" and 24 notes per second, so it is very rare on the second hand market. I allowed myself to comment on my instrument, because there was an input for Larrivée electric without any comment. Now there is one.&nbsp;